ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Not starting and engine cutting out

spanky2000

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,
Had a look through many related posts but none appear to deal with both problems.
Its a 2005 182 with 110K on it. For the last year or so it's intermittently either started straight away or not at all. It will always start first thing in the morning. When it wont start I've gone through various rituals to try and determine a reason (turn ignition on and off, pressing standard key pad on and off etc). The car will always start eventually within say 15 minutes.
Yesterday and for the first time, under acceleration the engine died, came back to life, died again, came back to life. Today however under acceleration it died and didn't come back to life. I noticed that the rev counter dropped to zero as in as if I'd just turned off the ignition. Having stopped at road side I tried to restart it. Again the engine turned over as normal (not battery problem) but it wouldn't start. After the usual 15 minutes it did start. Haven't replaced anything yet. I notice it has the 'blue' tdc sensor which I think is the more reliable one?
Very confused, any help would be great.
Thanks!

spanky2000

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi, I had actually bought a tdc sensor when trouble started a year ago but when I saw it was the 'blue' top one already in place I left the old one in. Any way I replaced it last night, the car having stopped five or six times in 20kms on the way home from work. Its going fine so far so looks like you're spot on. The solution was in my shed for a year! Thanks for your help!