ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Only hot air out of heater!

Petrol Blue Clio182FF
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah im so angry i cannon get the panel off due to access problems the pedals and the steering colomn are right in the way

I used a tool from my local Poundland for this, its actually a bike tool but gives a hex bit attachment that i used a socket with and the handle can be positioned at 90 degrees which fits in the gap easyily (so tool becomes L shaped), took 2 mins to get panel off with it.

BG FF182
Is the problem and cure going to be similar for my problem with my climate on an '05 182. If the temperature is set to Max before I start the engine the heater gets hot and then doesn't seem to blow cool air out when you turn the temperature down, but if the temperature is set to say 22 when the engine is started you never seem to get any hot air. But if I pull over and switch the engine off with the temperature set on max and start it back up I get instant hot air.

Did a 120 mile trip the other day and didn't seem to matter what settings I used the temperature of the air blowing out didn't change.

Track 172 & Golf R32
did this yesterday and it worked at first but now if i set my temp to 26 it starts off hot then fades into cold then gets hot again and so on..

then you click it up to max and it gets hot again..

its almost as if its stuck on auto

would it be down to when i moved the cog when i done it?

Ta.

rcz 200gt
just repaired mine this aft after reading this post must say thank you saved me a fortune what a brilliant post with good pics but what a bloody fiddly pain of a job cheers:cool:

Megane RS 250
This is not totally correlated but better than opening a new thread.

My A/C never worked consistently. Climate control is perfect when it's less than 20°, then when it's hotter the AC starts but no cold air, just outside temperature.
We you recharge it it seems to work a bit then it stops a bit, then again it works...a few days and it almost never work.

We've tried so see if there was a leak, but we didn't find it, we even tried to change the pump and the radiator (bought from here)but no success. I brought it to Renault this morning, we'll see if they find the reason and fix it. What could it be?

Jun

Pearl Black 172 ph2
Sorry, this isn't a reply to your post Gardus, but I wanna say thanks to the guys in this thread.

I managed to fix my prob using the advice and photos in this thread today. It started only yesterday when it was absolutely baking. Now I don't have to suffer through this heat :p

Clio mk3ph2 1.5dCi
This is not totally correlated but better than opening a new thread.

My A/C never worked consistently. Climate control is perfect when it's less than 20°, then when it's hotter the AC starts but no cold air, just outside temperature.
We you recharge it it seems to work a bit then it stops a bit, then again it works...a few days and it almost never work.

We've tried so see if there was a leak, but we didn't find it, we even tried to change the pump and the radiator (bought from here)but no success. I brought it to Renault this morning, we'll see if they find the reason and fix it. What could it be?

Does it no need regassing? it should be done every two years. I've had mine don on my Clio when I got it before I went touring around France and I've just had my C-Max done this weekend. it went from being just blowing outside temp to ice cold.... mmmmm air con....

Kwik Fit did it in for £49 within an hour (if i'd had it done last month it was on special 25 quid, doh!) and if they cant get it 10% cooler its no charge. nothing to lose then.

172 16v
Just done mine 2day and wat a pain in the ass it was it looked like sum1 had attempted it b4 as had to take the bit off the plate and take it to bits to realine it got there in the end used a jubilee to clamp it up works a treat thanks for the info as was just gunna get it regased and that would of been a waste of money cheers again!!!!

A4 Avant Sline 2.0T
Mine went on Monday, Managed to sort it out today though using the pictures (Many thanks). Will have saved me a packet no doubt.
Couldn't bare The thought of driving to cornwall on friday with no air con!

Rob

Clio 197 R27 Albi
Mine does this sometimes but will try sorting it out with your method and let you know if its worked hopfully :)

S'trollin on size 7s
mines just gone and started doing this tonight . quick search and ive come across the exact same issue and the FREE solution all in one thread...bonus! :)

S'trollin on size 7s
just got round to doing mine today. wasnt as fiddly as thought it was guna be . the crack in the cogg was all the way down the side and puttin the cable tie on as tight as i could didnt seem to close it back together in the slightest so i didnt think was goin to make a difference but put it back together and gave it a shot and so far(touch wood) its working ,lets hope it stay like that.

good call whoever initially found out this fix .cheers

Clio 172mk2
the sprung clip on the radiator tank is right size just to slip over it, then just use jubilee clip to replace it.

Is the problem and cure going to be similar for my problem with my climate on an '05 182. If the temperature is set to Max before I start the engine the heater gets hot and then doesn't seem to blow cool air out when you turn the temperature down, but if the temperature is set to say 22 when the engine is started you never seem to get any hot air. But if I pull over and switch the engine off with the temperature set on max and start it back up I get instant hot air.

Did a 120 mile trip the other day and didn't seem to matter what settings I used the temperature of the air blowing out didn't change.

Exactly what mine does!!!! 02 172 thou..... anyone any ideas?

ALSO...

anybody reconise this?

17102010422.gif

17102010423.gif

Looks like a temp sensor to me...

Found it thrown in the glovebox :S

Clio 172mk2
yer its the temp sensor and has a fan , goes above interia light, see if its been replaced, when yer climates on itll spin round. try connecting it up it may have been noisy so some ones taken it out, think there about 25 for new one.

Newer models just have a blue nipple next to interia lights

CHEERS!

took light housing out... no sign of one in there, found a matching plug, and a location for it. Fitted and cc works as it should :D

Wasnt noisy until i put housing back onto headlining LOL.... but the "buzz" aint that bad

Any idea how much a new one is?? Is that the part number on it ?

once you've fitted the cable tie/jubilee clip onto the cog does it matter which way the flap is facing (ie. open or closed) and what setting the motor is on as I've had trouble lining it all back up after manually opening & closing the flap to check if it works.

Clio 172mk2
no, best bet is the take the motors off the mounting then put the motors back as u can alignt them better.

Jubilee clip will be hard to get on but the sprung clip from the readiator resovior is a good match

U can turn the cogs on motor shud u need to get a match that way

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
SORTED!! :D
Pics to follow - mine was just as shown in this thread, did have me confused for a long while...

So chuffed, thanks guys/girls!

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
DSC04497.jpg

This little chappie is the spindle for the heater control flap - as you can see it has been split astunder in true Clio fashion... the silver shaft is the steering wheel column, this is a job best not attempted by the tubby/clumsy/profoundly incompetent...

DSC04501.jpg

7mm tiewrap applied to keep it together, getting the cover back on here again was a right faff - have to line up two splines in the right place at the same time - right down by where your left foot normally lives...

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
The black splines should look the same as the white ones in the above pic - star-shaped with one flat side, like a "D", the servo should fit into the flat side of the "D" so rotate the splines until they do...

Bolts are all 8mm ;)

RS Clio 182
Hi just tried mine today but I couldn't get the cable tie on tightly enough due to lack of space to pull it. Mines also got the same size crack as above so thinking of using a hose clip, any ideas as to the correct size?! Thanks.

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
I remember pinching the spindle together using pliers/pipe grips to try to return it to its former shape... remember it is far from what it was, has been forced apart & will probably need a little pinch to put it back to where it was! Try holding the ziptie end right up close to the spindle and pulling it tight by rotating the pliers clockwise, using the spindle to push against?

If that fails then try a jubilee clip - spindle looks to be around 15mm dia? I would suggest using a 7mm socket & 1/4" ratchet to tighten it, not much room down there and wouldn't want you to stab yourself with screwdrivers etc...

Clio 172mk2
use the sprung hose clip found on the radiator header tank, its just right size and easy to get on

stylus pilot

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk2 Ph2 1.6
After recently shelling out for a new water pump (and therefore timing belt change) and full service + MOT, my heart sank when I realised the CC was blowing lukewarm air while set to 'minimum' temperature.

Five minutes spent on google/cliosport search and I have the full solution! :cool:

Thanks for the information and pics guys - presumably it's an LHD car pictured on page 2 - as it makes the upper bolt look rather more accessible than it is!

That bloody steering column is a nightmare! The clutch/brake pedals in your face don't help either.

I opted for twin cable ties for the repair - the first one didn't have much effect on it's own, but pulling the second (placed right around the outer edge) with pliers as hard as poss seemed to tighten things up nicely. Fingers crossed it'll last.

In the end I took the motors off the panel to get the splines back in, but I had to settle for just one bolt on the upper motor as I didn't have the right combo of socket extensions to get enough depth while still clearing the steering column. It seems to be in snugly enough for now though, I'll have to get a suitable mini extension bar to finish the job.

I'm very happy to report another successful (and virtually cost-free) fix! :)

Bolts are all 8mm ;)

You mean 6mm? ;)

Clio 172mk2
the metal sprung clip does fit perfectly, mines been on ages now works a treat, ye pics where from LHD, mines RHD but my 20 quid argos tool set managed it lol

clio sport 172
Same thing happened to me a few days ago followed the guied and photos on here and bingo now all working again, what a cow of a job but for the price of a stiff back and a few cable ties well worth it many many thanks to the guy who posted the guide you saved me a lot of money and hassle cheers :approve:

Lozza-p

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
mine went today on the way back home from work only turned it up 1 degree bloody thing gonna try to fix at lunch 2moro cheers for the info guys.

Had this problem the day after i bought my new 172 and thanks to this thread, a jubilee clip and a slightly scraped arm i now have cold air coming out again, yay!! :D

I found it pretty tricky to get a normal 6mm socket or spanner in on a ratchet, or on an extension bar so ended up using this 6mm long socket which was perfect as you could turn it without using any ratchet :) very handy

IMAG0221.jpg

Think I might be carrying out this fix tonight. Wifes just had her 182 MOT'd and on the way back she says its blowing hot air and it blowing alot through the windscreen vents. hoping this fixes it.

Just carried out this fix. Simple enough just a little tricky getting the bolts out. When refitting, I found it easier to remove the motor closest to the front of the dash then re-attach it once the panel was screwed back on.

Hot and cold now work :) just need to fix the resistor now to get the blowers back :(

Clio 182ff
Huge thanks to nickhalluk and n-dre for this thread and the other useful posts here. I had the same 'heater always on' fault happen on the motorway today and I'm very over moon I've saved me-self a potential £600 by doing this clever fix (fiddly pig mind you lol).

all working perfectly.

Thanks again chaps :approve: