ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Help Required Please

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Hi
My 10 month old Acer Desktop has worked perfectly until this weekend when didn't start properly and came up with Repairing Startup. Did that then restarted and worked OK till today when it did the same then just sat in Vista black screen scrolling on action bar.
Turned off at wall then tried starting normally when choice of normal or repair sartup came stalled at same Vista screen, tried in safe mode got to loading system files then stalled.

I have Mcafee Total protection 9 in 1 installed any ideas what to do or where to take it please?
Thanks Tim

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Could try reinstalling vista? Will loose all your files though.

Megane
I did read that a recent update to an anti virus program caused machines to not boot, I think it was Mcaffee. It quarantines certain system files, thus preventing the system from using them.
I don't know how to repait it without a clean re-install without mcafee, but it sounds like you might have this problem.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does it allow you to boot up in safe mode? Hold the F8 down as Windows attempts to boot and it should give you a menu.

Select Safe Mode and if it is Mcafee causing the issue, you should be able to uninstall it once Vista boots up.

You can then reinstall Mcafee afterwards. But if it is the culprit, I'd leave it well alone!

D.

Dissy

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
Does it allow you to boot up in safe mode? Hold the F8 down as Windows attempts to boot and it should give you a menu.

Select Safe Mode and if it is Mcafee causing the issue, you should be able to uninstall it once Vista boots up.

You can then reinstall Mcafee afterwards. But if it is the culprit, I'd leave it well alone!

D.
Hi Darren no won't boot up in safe mode stalls during loading of sys files with error .
Thanks

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Pop the Vista CD in (Or whatever CD you got with your PC from Acer with has Vista on it). Boot from the CD. And do a repair on Vista. If that doesn't work you'll probably be looking at having to do a whole new reinstall. However if you want to salvage your files you can put the hard drive in another PC and get them off from another PC.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Actually with Vista you can do a clean installation and keep your files - just tell it to install on the same drive without formatting, it'll tell you it already has Windows on it and will move it all to a 'Windows.OLD' folder on the C drive.