ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 daily

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
With the black turbo ph1 off the road getting its megane conversion and becoming much more track focused I thought I'd buy myself a run about. This came up fairly cheap nearby so went for it. Came with no service history other than a cambelt and dephaser and new brakes all round just before I brought it by benniesport. Body work is rough as anything with various scrapes and dents but it drove okay which is all I really cared about.

Was originally going to just leave it as it but that soon went to pot lol

So far I've changed most of the suspension components with nearly new bits off my old ph1, cup wishbones, powerflex arb bushes, trackrods, a set of new cup shocks all round and an old set of eibach proline springs I had laying around.

Coming from a half stripped out clio on coilovers and solid top mounts the car rides so much nicer on the road and having comfy seats again is great (must be getting old)

Interior is mostly standard other than the cup holders I've added where the head unit was and some alpine dab radio thing that plays though an amp wired up to all the speakers.

Trouble is coming from a turbo ph1 it feels very slow, with everything standard it seems stifled and id like to get it to how my old 197 cam'd ph1 was so engine mods will most likely follow if I can do it on a budget.

Few pictures, will get some more tomrorow as I'm doing a few more bits on it.
20170413_164856.jpg
20170421_175731.jpg

20170416_141644.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why has nobody done that cup holder mod before?? It's genius!

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Looks tidy enough in that pic
Its alright in pictures and from a distance, just up close you notice all the faults, can't complain for a cheap runabout though!

Mega cup holder mod, love it!

Why has nobody done that cup holder mod before?? It's genius!

Cheers! Was getting annoying not having any cup holders at all.

Opened the air filter up today to find this which was a nice surprise as I was going to get one for it anyway
20170422_112940.jpg

Fitted an old power flow stealth system I had laying around with a silenced de-cat so sounds a little fruiter now and once I find my old matched inlets will fit them.
20170423_135303.jpg
Think I'm going to go down the cammed route again as it give the car that little edge over standard but keeping it very much drivable.

Gave it a good wash and started polishing some of the scratches out, roof especially came out much better! Then went and got a few pictures with my mates ph2
20170423_173655.jpg
20170423_170215.jpg
20170423_145450.jpg

20170423_135416.jpg
20170423_135345.jpg

Just the interior and engine bay to tidy up a little and should be decent enough car then, crying out to be lowered but the Proline springs ride really well and I'd rather spend money else where on it.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Had another weekend sorting out a few bits on the car,

The throttle cable kept sticking and was revving at 2k on idle so fitted a new cable and a different idle control valve and works perfectly now, can't believe the difference a new cable makes, so much nicer to drive now. While I was fitting that I decided to replace the old manky carpet at the back of the bay with some old nimbus heat shield I had off the turbo car and then gave the engine bay a little wipe over, has come up quite well in the end
20170611_170941.jpg

Got some new plates for it as the old ones were well past their best.
20170611_170822.jpg
20170611_170849.jpg
also fitted some apex springs as the car was too high for my liking on the Proline springs, definitely harsher on the road but with the new cup shocks I wouldn't say it's terrible and feels more planted now with less body roll, looks 100x better too!
20170611_170838.jpg

Gone back to the original wheels with new ad08's and none of the wheels were buckled at all and balanced up perfectly which was a result, wheel desperatly need a refurb though.

One of the silencers developed a crack so taken that exhaust off and manged to mangle together an exhaust system from random exhaust parts I had lol. So it now has a silenced de-cat , unknown straight through centre pipe and a ktec stealth back box.
One issue with new exhaust is that's its just too loud and really drones, the centre section definitely needs a silencer so going to order a univesal one. Also fitted some sound deadening at the back which has helped a little and only added around 10kg to the car so may get more to do more of the car.
20170610_104817.jpg
20170610_104825.jpg

Gearbox is on its way out which is annoying but for what I payed for the car I think it'll be worth fully refurbing it as the car will be running perfectly once that's sorted.
However I'm really trying to resist low boosting it as I've got so much left over stuff from the black turbo car that I'd only need a manifold, downpipe and an ebay turbo. Going to finish the black car first but for the sake of about £800 to get it to 230bhp it would be nice lol

Attachments

• 20170611_170941.jpg
    20170611_170941.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170611_170829.jpg
    20170611_170829.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 47