ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Mental 172 Cup
As there are many people on here into photography, same as the detailing thread why not start off one for Photography stuff.. Simple questions and a place people can browse for answers rather then the whole forum.. Also if you find a good deal or buy something and your happy with it, share it as it might interest someone else aswell..

I did a search. Nothing came up..

Good idea??

Luke

Mental 172 Cup
Think it'll be easy and pretty simple. The detailing thread works very well.. Like I seem someone got a 10 stop ND filter the other day, would be nice to know where from and how much.. Everyone will benefit in some way..

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea. It would come in pretty handy to a lot of people I imagine.

Think it'll be easy and pretty simple. The detailing thread works very well.. Like I seem someone got a 10 stop ND filter the other day, would be nice to know where from and how much.. Everyone will benefit in some way..

If that was me, then it was from eBay. Haida pro 2. Cost me £47 iirc but that was due to the 77mm thread. Smaller ones are cheaper.

Mental 172 Cup
Not sure who it was mate, but yeh I think say of you posted the link of a good product and then people can gauge an interest of decent products to compliment their photos..

I dunno, you know. Because it's hard sorting through big threads for the answer you want.

Unless it's like a master thread that links to all other threads, so people can keep additional questions, etc on topic.

Mental 172 Cup
It works fairly well on the detailing chat.. As long as you subscribe and visit regularly. If I see something that interests me, I always save the link..

Good idea, feel like this could just be a general place to talk about any aspect of photography you want.
For example, how crap is the recent weather for being able to go out and shoot?! I've cancelled at least 3 planned photo trips recently for that reason.
Also, just got a shiny new 600D for the good lady, £429 at PC World with Canon's wintercashback deal, decent price and an awesome all-round camera so far!

It's been s**t lately.

Since buying my Fuji X100, I've been out with it ONCE, and that was for only an hour or so. Really uninspiring weather over xmas.

Haha, I posted 2 photos in December, the only decent ones I took and one was of rain on my window!
Got out to Blackpool yesterday though and hope to do more this month!

Mental 172 Cup
Is there not any decent gear for shooting outdoors in the rain? Could get some good shots. But obviously would be very limited.. I know underwater cases etc can be bloody expensive..

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Is there not any decent gear for shooting outdoors in the rain? Could get some good shots. But obviously would be very limited.. I know underwater cases etc can be bloody expensive..

News just in ...

Umbrellas have just been released into the public domain :rasp:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Most bodies are pretty water-resistant I think ?

I've never been worried about shooting in the rain really .. it's only a 7D lol. If it borks, I'll upgrade :eek:

I wouldn't however stand out in a monsoon I don't think .. but again, an umbrella might hold off the worst of it !

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Most bodies are pretty water-resistant I think ?

I've never been worried about shooting in the rain really .. it's only a 7D lol. If it borks, I'll upgrade :eek:

I wouldn't however stand out in a monsoon I don't think .. but again, an umbrella might hold off the worst of it !

Only the high end Canons, so 7D/6D (partially) 5D MK2/3 (partially) 1D series are all fully sealed i think. Then you need sealed lenses too.

Nikon D7000 is partially sealed and the pro range D2/D4 are fully sealed.

Dan...

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea this :)

I'm new to photography and still have a lot to learn. I've just got my first DSLR camera - a Nkon D3000. I'm loving it by the way.

Just a quick question though, I'm obsessed with shots of the sky, like sunrises and sunsets etc ..what tips can people give me for taking photos of these kind of things? Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea this :)

I'm new to photography and still have a lot to learn. I've just got my first DSLR camera - a Nkon D3000. I'm loving it by the way.

Just a quick question though, I'm obsessed with shots of the sky, like sunrises and sunsets etc ..what tips can people give me for taking photos of these kind of things? Thanks

Invest in some Neutral Density filters and Gradual ND filters. Oh and a Circular Polarising filter.

hmmm....that's a good one. Aperture at f/11 or so (sharpest), probably on aperture priority too, so the camera works out the rest. Maybe exposure compensate if it's coming out too dark or bright.

Apart from using all sorts of filters etc, there's not much else I do for those types of shots.

Well they're not the normal circular threaded filters. They need a holder like this:

Photo-20-12-2012-11-54-02.jpg

You then get square filters that slot in the holder. I'm not sure how much entry level filters are, I think Cokin do smaller and cheaper ones. Start of a very slippery slope too!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
As Dan had said, you're probably best of starting with the Cokin P Series filters as they are relatively cheap (about £10-20 once you have the adapter ring and filter holder)

The next ones up to the Cokin are Lee Filters, prices i'm not sure but they're not cheap (would be a serious investment for these)

And Circular Polarisers price depends on the filter size, but you want to get a pretty good one, something like a Hoya. These would be screw in and not for the Cokin filter holder.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I use a 77mm screw on 9-stop Hoya filter, cost around £90 off ebay.

I use a 77mm screw on 9-stop Hoya filter, cost around £90 off ebay.

That's not very useful for sunsets (except for long exposure ones, but you still need other filters to pull it off properly).

You can spend hundreds on filters, and I speak from experience!

Italian 3.2 V6
In the near future I want to upgrade from my 1000D & 50mm 1.8ft/18-55mm kit lens to the 50D & EF-s 15-85mm (if it fits?) also have the 35mm fixed lens.

I'd imagin these would be a fairly good value for money upgrade for me.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
In the near future I want to upgrade from my 1000D & 50mm 1.8ft/18-55mm kit lens to the 50D & EF-s 15-85mm (if it fits?) also have the 35mm fixed lens.

I'd imagin these would be a fairly good value for money upgrade for me.

Don't think the EF-S lenses fit the xxD range, they're only for the xxxD and xxxxD range.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think the EF-S lenses fit the xxD range, they're only for the xxxD and xxxxD range.

I think they do. The Mrs has a 50D and I use her lenses on my 550D and she's used some of mine on hers without any problem's. May not work on the xD though with then being full frame?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I think they do. The Mrs has a 50D and I use her lenses on my 550D and she's used some of mine on hers without any problem's. May not work on the xD though with then being full frame?

Ah you're right, just checked on my old 20D. EF are the red dot and EF-S are the white square. They definitely don't fit on my 5D MK2 though.

Great thread idea. Haven't been out with the weather being so wet but got some nice bokeh family shots at Xmas with my new 35mm 1.8. Also bought a Sony RX100 as a carry everywhere cam but not yet used in anger.

Great thread idea, I often have little things to ask (or mention) that don't really warrant a whole new thread.

In 'ukaskew has something clinically wrong with him based on how often he changes kit' news, I'm back to Micro 4/3 as of this week. Shocked at how far it's moved forward in the past year since I last used the system, some incredible lens released. Pretty much a full suite of lenses available now, Olympus 75mm 1.8 is on my shopping list!

Also bought a Sony RX100 as a carry everywhere cam but not yet used in anger.

Let us know how you get on with it, stunning bit of kit from what I've read.

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST-3
This weather has been so crap. I'm experimenting on time lapse whilst saving like mad for either the d600 or d800. We shall see.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
This weather has been so crap. I'm experimenting on time lapse whilst saving like mad for either the d600 or d800. We shall see.

I am doing the same but saving for D800, had a play with one today along with a D4, two awesome cameras, I can only dream lol.

Any of you guys got Facebook pages for your photography?

Last edited:
Will do ukaskew, do you still have your full-frame gear?
No I sold it (lenses have already gone, 5D is on eBay at the moment). I was seriously ill last summer and it's left me very weak, I took a few walks over Christmas and just got incredibly frustrated with the bulk of it (and I hadn't even added a motorsport lens yet), so I'm back to M4/3. I considered the RX100, Fuji etc but wanted to be able to shoot motorsport still.