ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Nikon D7100. I'm going to take it to New York in February and only want to take one lens.
I will rent a lens from these chaps http://www.lensesforhire.co.uk/
Question is what lens should I hire?
Is it full frame?
You want something fairly wide for New York, if it's FF then something like a 24-70/ 24/-105 if they do it?
There was a 15-85 for Canon, maybe Nikon have an equivalent?

Clio RS 172 2002
For sunset, try to get to one of the Severn bridges (M4 is best I think). I went to that one when I was there for the night. You can park near enough under it and you get to look across the river.
15223749643_e2e1a2665e_c.jpg
The Bridge
by Aaron, on Flickr

Also, you have the Clifton suspension bridge which I didn't get to. I didn't get to much actually, I just went down for a gig then drive back that night.

Great photo. Followed.

Clio RS 172 2002
For sunset, try to get to one of the Severn bridges (M4 is best I think). I went to that one when I was there for the night. You can park near enough under it and you get to look across the river.
15223749643_e2e1a2665e_c.jpg
The Bridge
by Aaron, on Flickr

Also, you have the Clifton suspension bridge which I didn't get to. I didn't get to much actually, I just went down for a gig then drive back that night.

Great photo. Followed.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Is it full frame?
You want something fairly wide for New York, if it's FF then something like a 24-70/ 24/-105 if they do it?
There was a 15-85 for Canon, maybe Nikon have an equivalent?
If there's a 15-85 available i'd go for that if it's not FF, As Aaron said go really wide on a zoom lens. 16-35 is suppose to be really good too

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I purchased a ND filter set the other day, looking forward to giving it a try once the weather improves slightly! Anyone got any tips?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I purchased a ND filter set the other day, looking forward to giving it a try once the weather improves slightly! Anyone got any tips?
Just get out and use it. Be careful of any colour cast but that can be corrected in photoshop etc.
What did you get? I have a 3 slide set, cokin p I think and on 24mm (ff) I see the holder on the edges. It was the same using it on my 10-20 on crop so you have to zoom in a bit or crop it out later. Also the resin filters scratch really easily so try to keep them in a bit of cloth. Mine just come in a plastic box for each one but they were a cheap set.
Looking to get a better set of glass ones soon.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Been laying low for quit a while on my photography and people has been asking me where i've been, i should be back taking photo's next week. Hasn't been good past few months for me.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Off to Skye second week in March. Going to stay in Fort William for the first night then head over first thing.
Plan on going to Glencoe on the way up and a couple of spots at Loch Lomond.

@Geddes where did you stay on Skye or did you camp?
We have Fort William booked already.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
You'll love it Aaron there. One thing i regret is doing too much with all the driving. That's all we did was driving and not much time to stop and take in the scenery. Be going myself next time i think and can do stuff when i want and what i want to look at.
We only camped at this place for one or two night which isn't that far from the Skye bridge here's the website http://www.ashaig-campsite-skye.co.uk/ it had awesome showers and and reasonable facilities. i think there was a caravan where people can sit down and have a sit down but i didn't go in. It's right next to the sea too about 5 mins walk. the other 1 night we stopped at a wig wam place in Elgol, got chatted up to the lass owner there she was really canny. Can't remember where else i stayed. Elgol was a really long drive and not much there really with the single track road and stopping pulling over to the oncoming car.

I'd defo recomend going to the lighthouse awesome scenery there. I could of taken way loads more pics if i'd be by myself and took my time at places. Next time though

That campsite looks great although website says it's closed for maintainence until further notice. We're planning at least a week camping on Skye and the West coast in the summer. Can't wait to travel around and take lots of photos too!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone selling any Canon (compatible) lenses? Mates after a 17-40 or 24-105 ideally. Needs to fit full frame.

I have sold my full frame set up. The D750 is a great camera, but for what I am using it for I have decided that crop is better for me.

Sticking with Nikon so have a D7200 on route with the versatile and quite well reviewed 18-140.

MK2 PH2 1.2 16V
I'm going on safari in Kenya next month and Seychelles, borrowing my dads Cannon DSLR. Not sure what it is but its probably just a budget one with standard, is there any settings I should change etc to make my photos beautiful? Any tips or anything? Thanks

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Going to dust off the camera for the first time in 2 years next month for a trip to New York. Pretty nervous but I'm sure it'll all come back naturally after a few hours.

50mm and 10-20mm be ok lens wise?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@Luke those lenses will be more than enough, thats pretty much what I used whilst there. Took a fisheye and a zoom but only used them for a couple of shots.

@jonzz I'd have a play first to make sure you are happy with the layout. Shoot aperture priority (AV) with auto iso and you should be OK. F8 is fine for most lenses for general shots.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Excuse the thread bump Simon, and it maybe a daft question, but how do you use those ND filters? Like, how do they attach to the lens?
You need a square holder.

Depending which lens you have, you might struggle with certain filters.

The sigma 10-20 is a 77mm thread. If you use a cokin P series filter set, you'll have to shoot at 14mm > 20mm as any less will bring the ring of the holder into frame.

The one listed is the Z series which is a bit bigger.

The filters just slot into place.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Mirrorless systems. Who's using them and what have you got?

Been looking at the fujifilm xt100 and a few others. Don't want to spend over £500 and I only want one lens for it, ideally the 18-50 (I think) f2.8-4 or similar.

Currently have a 6d,24-105, 50mm 70-200 and a Samyang 14mm 2.8 plus a couple of others that never get used but are worth nothing.

I'm going to sell my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 as I've hardly used it over the year I've had it and if I need to use one again, I'll just take the wife's.

I took the Canon and 50mm to a festival last week and realised that I want a smaller camera for everyday things and for my forthcoming holiday.

Needs to have full manual control plus manual focus on the lens (and auto) and to be able to shoot raw. Traditional view finder preferred, never been keen on live view.

New strap:

sl-hero-blue.jpg

New ball head:

Sirui_BSRK30_K_30x_Ball_Head_822264.jpg

Last edited:

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone sold an image to a record label before?
Had an email asking to use an image for a single cover. MTA records , owned by Chase n Status want to use it for one of their upcoming artists.

Dont want to price myself out of it but also don't want to give it away.

Anyone?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Anyone sold an image to a record label before?
Had an email asking to use an image for a single cover. MTA records , owned by Chase n Status want to use it for one of their upcoming artists.

Dont want to price myself out of it but also don't want to give it away.

Anyone?

Niall would be good one to ask as he does all band stuff now, but he doesn't come on here much anymore.

I can ask him for you?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Niall would be good one to ask as he does all band stuff now, but he doesn't come on here much anymore.

I can ask him for you?
I've messaged him on twitter.
I've asked a few photographers though and I think I've got a price in mind now,
Cheers.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Without trawling through this thread for links, as it's a bit on the long side, does anyone have any decent websites that I could look at that'll educate me a little in photography?

I've just ordered a Canon EOS 1300D, with a lens. However, I know utterly nothing about taking pictures - I've only ever used point & shoot cameras in the past!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Without trawling through this thread for links, as it's a bit on the long side, does anyone have any decent websites that I could look at that'll educate me a little in photography?

I've just ordered a Canon EOS 1300D, with a lens. However, I know utterly nothing about taking pictures - I've only ever used point & shoot cameras in the past!

Stickies on here are a great place to start tbh..

How would I take a photo of the moon? Everytime I point the camera near the moon it just completely whites out with no detail. Any filters involved?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk