ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

Cupra
How would I take a photo of the moon? Everytime I point the camera near the moon it just completely whites out with no detail. Any filters involved?

Either set the camera to spot metering or use manual and change the shutter speed until you get the image that you want. No filters required.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Generally, try to match the Shutter speed to the focal length. 200mm lens? 1/200th.
Turn auto iso off too, it'll blow out with it on.

How would I take a photo of the moon? Everytime I point the camera near the moon it just completely whites out with no detail. Any filters involved?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

My settings using the D750 and 70-200 F4:

1. Tripod
2. Timer/remote
3. Camera in Manual Mode
4. F11
5. Shutter Speed around 1/250
6. ISO 200

Depending on your camera and if you want backgrounds etc you can mess around with settings. I use spot metering when just taking pics of the moon. When you have backgrounds, buildings, other light etc it becomes a bit more complex.

Shutter speed has to be quick or you let to much light in and get that white blob.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Just browsing Flickr and noticed a shot by @nius02 in the Flickr top 25 of 2016 and used for the album cover. Cracking image mate.

Screenshot_20161206-200341.png

Pansonic GX80 now £240 after a crazy £200 cashback, can I refuse?
Be a nice upgrade on my GF-3. I can imagine that the 20mm f/1.7 is a great combo with 5-axis IS.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Taking 1 photo a week. Or you can do a 365 !!!!!

Normally you would have a large group of you and a topic gets chosen for that week. Every time I've tried it something got in the way and then would give up.

I think like most NY ideas, they fall by the way-side. I'd quite like to do something a bit less intense, might settle for take the camera out once a month. 12 shots that represent the year, nice and achievable!
Especially as my new camera arrived yesterday and wow, in-body Image Stabalisation paired with a large aperture prime lens is the nuts.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone shoot any video?

I've just started to dick around with doing pans and b-roll type footage, this is definitely why you need something better than a £15 tripod, lol. Jerky!

Lol, sound got muted. Not much to listen to anyway.

I did a 365x2 with one photo per day for 2 straight years. I enjoyed doing it most of the time, but when you're busy or its crap weather, it becomes a bit tedious doing it every single day!

Saying that, I do need to take more photos this year. Going to try real hard to make sure I do.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Any D7000 users on here?

My D60 has finally given up the ghost and one of these is high on the list as its replacement as you can pick up a body for sensible money now.

clio 200
Any D7000 users on here?

My D60 has finally given up the ghost and one of these is high on the list as its replacement as you can pick up a body for sensible money now.
I had a d7100 with the 18-140 lens and it was pin sharp. Not a bad photo from it. The only reason I swapped was because it was too bulky to carry round all day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I have photoshopped elements 7. I tried shooting in raw after reading about it. I took a few shots indoors (luckily I didn't do any big photos somewhere) but it says that the the files aren't compatible on PS. Does this mean that I can only use jpeg files?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I have photoshopped elements 7. I tried shooting in raw after reading about it. I took a few shots indoors (luckily I didn't do any big photos somewhere) but it says that the the files aren't compatible on PS. Does this mean that I can only use jpeg files?

I'm not sure, but I would say that Photoshop doesn't accept raw .nef files off the camera, they have to be converted to JPEG first using a different program. Certainly that's what I do.

Use this program fella;
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/166/ViewNX_2.html

Once you've converted them to JPEG using that program you can open them up in photoshop.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member

Thank you. I'll will look into that in a mo.

I'm not sure, but I would say that Photoshop doesn't accept raw .nef files off the camera, they have to be converted to JPEG first using a different program. Certainly that's what I do.

Use this program fella;
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/166/ViewNX_2.html

Once you've converted them to JPEG using that program you can open them up in photoshop.

Ah, the one you messaged me about! If the above doesn't work then I'll try this.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
It's worth trying to use the adjustments in ViewNX as well, since the flexibility in adjusting exposure, sharpness, contrast etc are what you shoot in raw for in the first place.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Don't convert it to a JPEG before editing. That's the whole reason RAW exists, to get the most out of the picture.
Photoshop has no issues with RAW, it'll just need updating if it does.

Which picture mate?

If it's a mountain/ space one then it'll be to the minimum light pollution in the area. If you are trying in town with lots of light then you'll have a nightmare trying to expose correctly.
I often shoot 10-20 seconds, f1.4/2.8 depending on the lens I'm using and iso anywhere between 2500 and 6400.

Edit.
Have a look for a copy of Lightroom. Much better than anything else for editing unless you want to do a load of cloning etc. For standard photo editing,nothing comes close imo.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Whoops, I forgot to link it.

https://flic.kr/p/pcgGo8
Oh you'll need a ND filter to reduce the light coming in.
That was using a 10 stop. You can pick them up super cheap but they will be pretty crappy and you'll have to do a bit of post processing to sort the colour cast if you shoot colour and not in black and white.
I use Haida. Cost me about £50 for a 77mm thread and it seems to be the best without spending sill money on Lee (they leave a blue tint) or HiTech.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I don't use Photoshop, I use GIMP, so I can't be sure, but I think I've read before about it not being supported by PS. Could be wrong.

I like the sorting in VNX too, if I'm shooting cars all day I can batch different groups of photos of each car together and after adjusting them all I can export the lot into one folder in one hit, so I can have a folder for each car.

In other news, I'm stepping up a bit tripod wise with my first fluid head. I've not gone too expensive, as I've managed to find a chinese knockoff with reviews that pitch the quality of the head against much more expensive Manfrottos etc. Plus it's taller than my old tripod so no more stooping down to take shots.
WF717-130CM%20TRIPOD3.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Are you shooting video with that? Looks like a videographers tripod to me.

I much prefer the option of getting low to the ground rather than a fixed low point like the one you have.

As for the sorting, that sounds much like Lightrooms capabilities then. Tag, rate etc and batch process.

I very rarely use Photoshop and I've never used Nikon so didn't realise about any issues but that's comical if they don't support it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I'm a member/on the committee of our local camera club. Every season we have 5 open competition's and two themes ones.
The last night tonight and i was working late. Managed to pop in on the way home to be given the trophy for the presidents comp which was very surprising.
This was the winning shot.
33376244772_c50a64151a_c.jpg
FOEL by Aaron Crowe, on Flickr

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers.
I don't know what the other entries were like but it's usually a pretty strong club.

Second time in 4 years I've won this trophy though which is nice and I won another at the start of the season.

I'd just like to have a bit of luck in external comps now.