ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photography Chat and Questions Thread

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I have a Sigma 70-300 and that has a macro function between 200-300mm, it lets you focus on objects which are closer than it can usually focus, still has to be 95cm away though.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It's cheap for a reason tbh.
They aren't the sharpest of lenses but for £100 you aren't going to get great optics.

If you want a macro lens, buy a macro lens.
If you want a zoom, buy a zoom.

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
I've not used my SLR in a long time except for site visits at work, should get back into it really! Old cannon Rebel XTI (American 400D) and Sigms 18-200. It's done a tour of NZ rattling round in the centre console of my converted camper-car and a bit of a world tour so it's in a sorry state to be honest!! Skme incredible shots in here though.

@Scrooge what happened to monthly photography competition? That was my incentive to get out again nownits not Shite oot...

Also...

IMG_3686.JPG

@The Russian. any ideas?

You take some cracking pictures Aaron. Landscape and bike.
What sort of lens would you recommend for action shots? Naturally a fast prime lens would be best. I've got a 50mm with a Canon 450d I got from Russian.

Need to try different settings out and play about with shutter speeds etc. My first attempt shots came out ok though. Used a little tripod and IR remote.

46252845e0a66d4b31df19ee08eb1874.jpg
e0ed0997a6335042d20302d5d21d0276.jpg

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers Dan.
The 50 is a cracking lens but you'll find yourself really restricted, especially in woods.
It's pretty tricky tbh, all mine recently have been shot using my 25-105 f4 but that's on a full frame 6d.
You want something that will go fairly wide but with a bit of zoom. Maybe something like the 17-40/50 or 24-70. All depends on your budget tbh.
If you know it's going to be close / wide then maybe the Sigma 10-20mm or even the full manual Samyang 14mm.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I haven't been on CS for sometime now and I am so pleased to see the photography threads still going strong! It all started here for me, I am now full time with it shooting weddings.
Anyone else ventured in to shooting weddings ?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I was asked to do a wedding a short while back. F that, way too much responsibility for me.

f**k up a shoot with a car, no biggy. f**k up someone's once in a lifetime moment... No ta.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not in weddings, have shot two both for mates, hated it.

But I'm now full time pro with music photography. Learnt a lot of the basics from this forum!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've shot a few weddings, no plans of making that my sole income though. Some go well, some expect way more than you offer.
I've got one to do next war for a friend, don't think I'll do anymore after that tbh.

I've recently got back into mountain biking and have been taking the camera with me. Need to get the hang of flash again as I rarely use it.

I'm also planning on rubbing a couple of Astro workshops over the summer for my local camera club.

It's still a hobby and 90% of the money I've brought in is from selling old prints that were used in competitions. That has all been donated to the local hospitals special care baby unit.

I'm considering going for the LRPS this year but I'll have to have a good think on a subject to shoot. Not sure Astro photography is going to be a strong enough subject as they rarely do well in salons.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I love the fact that people have made a profession from photography and started here.

I'm only a beginner but have learnt so much from here, from members, threads and pics.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I was asked to do a wedding a short while back. F that, way too much responsibility for me.

f**k up a shoot with a car, no biggy. f**k up someone's once in a lifetime moment... No ta.

I have never felt that from shooting weddings, I find them fun. Sometimes you can some crappy clients, but you tend to price your way out of them over time. I have over 50 this year i the diary and almost half that for next year :/
www.facebook.com/matthewlawrencephotography
www.matthewlawrencephotography.co.uk
I'm not in weddings, have shot two both for mates, hated it.

But I'm now full time pro with music photography. Learnt a lot of the basics from this forum!

Nice man, music is a hard one to get in to and make money from. You shooting for agencies/magazines etc ? I learnt so much from here, it's good to see some people are still posting and learning from it.

I've shot a few weddings, no plans of making that my sole income though. Some go well, some expect way more than you offer.
I've got one to do next war for a friend, don't think I'll do anymore after that tbh.

I've recently got back into mountain biking and have been taking the camera with me. Need to get the hang of flash again as I rarely use it.

I'm also planning on rubbing a couple of Astro workshops over the summer for my local camera club.

It's still a hobby and 90% of the money I've brought in is from selling old prints that were used in competitions. That has all been donated to the local hospitals special care baby unit.

I'm considering going for the LRPS this year but I'll have to have a good think on a subject to shoot. Not sure Astro photography is going to be a strong enough subject as they rarely do well in salons.

For flash that is great for HS sync and cheap, the Godox Ad200. I use it lots for weddings and loads of other shoots. I started with MTB'ing and then got bored of being stood in the wet and cold.

Love the fact you are donating to charities. I do some events last year and gave all of my proceeds to the local hospice.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nice man, music is a hard one to get in to and make money from. You shooting for agencies/magazines etc ? I learnt so much from here, it's good to see some people are still posting and learning from it.
Yeah definitely is more niche than a lot of areas. Very much relies on building clients over time and opportunities arising to build your career and of course earnings.

I shoot mainly directly with Record Labels, Promoters, Artists and Festivals themselves. I do stuff for NME too but the commissions are few and far between these days with the decline of print media.

Here's my site - http://nialllea.com/

I have done a few weddings - not really my cup of tea, although doing another next year.

I'm sticking to my equestrian stuff and now have afirly limited kit which is ideal for me!

D750, 50mm f1.8g, 28mm f1.8g and 70-200 F4.

Pretty much covers all I ever need with the 50 being my go too lens!

Cheers Dan.
The 50 is a cracking lens but you'll find yourself really restricted, especially in woods.
It's pretty tricky tbh, all mine recently have been shot using my 25-105 f4 but that's on a full frame 6d.
You want something that will go fairly wide but with a bit of zoom. Maybe something like the 17-40/50 or 24-70. All depends on your budget tbh.
If you know it's going to be close / wide then maybe the Sigma 10-20mm or even the full manual Samyang 14mm.

Yeah. A full frame camera would be advantageous.
I'm purely doing it just for fun and capturing some nice moments, so absolute quality isn't essential as I won't be publishing or competing etc.
I'd say almost all shots would be trail side, close to the action at trail centers and dh tracks.
My thoughts were to get a pancake lens. Nice and wide.
At the minute I'm just window shopping, had a bunch of insurances come out!

While I know you definitely get what you pay for with lenses, a lower end lens would be fine for myself. I'd probably look to buy 2nd hand. Any good places to look or just ebay? Any other lenses worth keeping an eye out for, other than the sigma or samyang you mentioned?
Cheers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah. A full frame camera would be advantageous.
I'm purely doing it just for fun and capturing some nice moments, so absolute quality isn't essential as I won't be publishing or competing etc.
I'd say almost all shots would be trail side, close to the action at trail centers and dh tracks.
My thoughts were to get a pancake lens. Nice and wide.
At the minute I'm just window shopping, had a bunch of insurances come out!

While I know you definitely get what you pay for with lenses, a lower end lens would be fine for myself. I'd probably look to buy 2nd hand. Any good places to look or just ebay? Any other lenses worth keeping an eye out for, other than the sigma or samyang you mentioned?
Cheers
Something like this probably.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282454520862
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162497688639
Should be wide enough for you and a bit of a zoom range. Better than a standard kit lens.

If you want a really wide angle then the Opteka 6.5mm fisheye. Full manual focus etc but it's wide enough that you just set it to infinity unless you ware shooting something inches away from you.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252917289363

Cheers for that. Really like the sound of the fish eye and think it'd produce some really interesting shots!
Checked a few sample shots online too and I think it'd be perfect for me. [emoji106]
I'll probably opt for the opteka. Once my funds are back up to scratch.
That and the 50mm would probably be a handy combination for trail shooting.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Long shot but has anyone got a Canon 24-105mm f4 L they are selling? Been after one for a while and finally saved up enough to buy a second hand one.

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it. Unless your viewing the pictures directly the quality drops when you change the size. Frustrating.
Yeah it's typically the compression that does it, Flickr used to be really good quality wise, something like Facebook compresses images massively so you always get shite quality on there. Looks like they might have changed how much they compress maybe?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone been watching Sky Arts Master of photography?

I missed the first series but have watched all of series 2.
Some really good photographers on there and some challenging missions.

Worth a watch if you can find it.

Clio 182 Trophy
Anyone got any tips for property photography? I've got a dslr, 10-20mm lens, tripod, flashgun... now I don't know what I'm doing...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Twingo Dynamique
Where do people get their prints done? Both for personal use and for clients?! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dk

911 GTS Cab
Has anyone been watching Sky Arts Master of photography?

I missed the first series but have watched all of series 2.
Some really good photographers on there and some challenging missions.

Worth a watch if you can find it.
Yes I've watched both seasons, really like it, the judges can be w*****s sometimes. But it's nice to see that even the experts take some pretty shocking pictures before they get one that works.

Also cool to see nearly every one of them each week, using the Leica Q I've got, such an amazing camera.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Where do people get their prints done? Both for personal use and for clients?! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've used these for the past 3 years for both clients and for photography competitions.
http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/
Very well priced, delivery is within a few days and they come flat packed (or at least the sizes i order do (A3))

Yes I've watched both seasons, really like it, the judges can be w*****s sometimes. But it's nice to see that even the experts take some pretty shocking pictures before they get one that works.

Also cool to see nearly every one of them each week, using the Leica Q I've got, such an amazing camera.

Has it been the same judges both seasons?

I wonder what selection they have of cameras? I thought they were all using the Q but I thought that was down to sponsorship.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've used these for the past 3 years for both clients and for photography competitions.
http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/
Very well priced, delivery is within a few days and they come flat packed (or at least the sizes i order do (A3))

Has it been the same judges both seasons?

I wonder what selection they have of cameras? I thought they were all using the Q but I thought that was down to sponsorship.
No, was very different between seasons, I think just the male arrogant judge is the same. Last season had a presenter too, but they got rid of that this season.

The first season they showed more of them choosing the equipment, they all seem to rock with a Q, and then an SLR, which is also often a Leica, but wasn't always, I think its the own kit, or thats what I was led to believe.

When I went to Florida, I took several thousand photos, and I discarded less than 100 I'd say, so many keepers with it, and so easy to use too. Just needed more editing to what I'm used to as never shot in raw before, and also did a decent amount of cropping due to the fixed focal length, which honestly wasn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be, just had to be a bit more creative.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Can anyone recommend a good bridge camera?

I havs a D90 that i dont use as much.

I did buy a small fuji a while back which was great for landscape but the focussing was a bit slow and fiddly.

172 cup
I've been trying to arrange a photo shoot of my dog which feels like forever an all the local photographers constantly let me down so I've now got to the point where I'm thinking of buying a decent camera an having a go myself what should I be looking

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There should be a sticky to this question (there might be, I'm not sure)

1. How much money do you want /are willing to spend.

2. When it eventually comes to the "Nikon or Canon" question, because every single time it'll come to that, the correct answer is to go to a local shop and have a try of both brands' models that are in budget.

3. Is it just going to be for just taking shots your dog's or are you going to use it for other things.

4. Do you want a DSLR or a decent compact? Might make Q2 redundant if you choose compact.

172 cup
There should be a sticky to this question (there might be, I'm not sure)

1. How much money do you want /are willing to spend.

2. When it eventually comes to the "Nikon or Canon" question, because every single time it'll come to that, the correct answer is to go to a local shop and have a try of both brands' models that are in budget.

3. Is it just going to be for just taking shots your dog's or are you going to use it for other things.

4. Do you want a DSLR or a decent compact? Might make Q2 redundant if you choose compact.

It'll be for taking pics of my children/dogs occasional events ideally I'd like someone with exsperience to take the photos for me but they all seem to be busy I'd happily spend good money I wouldn't want to spend say £150 on a bridge camera but then for double the price get something 10x better or more capable of taking a better photo if that makes sense I find a phone very limited for taking photos as he's normally quite far away so if you can get something that will automatically take good longer distance photos I'm all ears