ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasti-dip / Plasti-coat as temporary covering

Listerine & Poledo
I've asked a local wrapping firm about a bonnet & wing wrap for the car, but it's only temporary, just for the BTCC at snet. £750 is a bit much for a 2-day 'lol'

So I thought "what about that peelable 'paint'". With enough masking and stencils, maybe just take to the bonnet and wings with rattlecans... seems doable, but does this stuff actually come off easily and, when it does, does it take your topcoat with it?

Suggestions please CS.

Clio 197
I does come off quite easily depending on how many layers/coats you apply. I've done my wheels in metallic gold and they've held up pretty well. I've got a piece of boot trim from another car that I tested a few different colours on nearly a year ago, just the other day I took it the plasti dip off and it simply peeled away. I've never heard of it taking off the top coat with it.

Listerine & Poledo
I does come off quite easily depending on how many layers/coats you apply. I've done my wheels in metallic gold and they've held up pretty well. I've got a piece of boot trim from another car that I tested a few different colours on nearly a year ago, just the other day I took it the plasti dip off and it simply peeled away. I've never heard of it taking off the top coat with it.
thanks chap, great to hear.

Any recommendations on how to get a reasonably decent finish? were you using rattle cans or a proper set-up?

Clio 197
thanks chap, great to hear.

Any recommendations on how to get a reasonably decent finish? were you using rattle cans or a proper set-up?
No worries mate. It was all done using rattle cans. I put each aerosol in a protein shaker full of warm water as it's notorious for spraying poorly when cold. Be sure to give the spray nozzle a quick wipe after each coat as it can get clogged up. I also prepped each wheel with isopropyl alcohol to make sure the surface was clean. Ideally you'll want to spray it on a warm surface or indoors too if you can. I took my wheels off, sprayed them in the shed and put them in front of a portable heater between coats

Listerine & Poledo
cool.
all useful words there sir.

So, for bodywork, just make sure it's clean, mask up or remove everything that doesn't need paint, then set at it with warm cans. Got it.

Drying time?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The more coats the merrier iirc.

Build up the coats with lightish passes (close coats) and do the last one a little heavier and slower to allow the solvents to 'flatten' the finish. I've not used plastidip properly but from what I've read you do need to build up the coats to make it peel able. And re my application advice, that's just the theory behind applying paint, it should work for plastidip too.

Clio 197
cool.
all useful words there sir.

So, for bodywork, just make sure it's clean, mask up or remove everything that doesn't need paint, then set at it with warm cans. Got it.

Drying time?
Yeap, just make sure it's clean and definitely mask off any areas that you don't want painted. Drying time between coats was about 15 minutes but I waited 20 just to be sure. Once you spray the last coat, try and leave it for a day, but if you can't it shouldn't be an issue as many people have sprayed their wheels and then used the car about an hour after the last coat. Feel free to give me a shout if there's anything else you want to know :)