ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plastics - Splitter Refresh

182 clio
Guys,
what does everybody recommend to get the plastics on the car looking fresh, the plastic mirror plates and front plastic splitter and other bits around the car.
I was thinking of back to black spray onto a cloth then rub it in but its messy, does anyone recommend a product which will get it looking nice and black again.
thanks.

Clio 197
Gtechniq C4. Although be careful, cheap carwashes use a prewash cleaner that eats into the coating. You'd be better off respraying the pieces in satin black tbh.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Exterior Only : Used engine oil

Seriously, it works really well.

Because engine oil will help keep it cleaner and make it easy to wash!

@rollingjones for most plastics on the Clio you have a huge selection of dressings that will all look decent and make cleaning much easier and reduce dirt build up. The front splitter and rear bumper insert get too much exposure to the conditions arm grime so most if not all dressings will fail very quickly. The only products that are likely to withstand the abuse on these areas are proper coatings like carpro DLUX or gtechniq C4. These will last and protect generally in excess of a year withy one application and will resist dirt build up and grey-ing of plastics

Exterior Only : Used engine oil

Seriously, it works really well.
Really...?
Gtechniq C4. Although be careful, cheap carwashes use a prewash cleaner that eats into the coating. You'd be better off respraying the pieces in satin black tbh.
Not true - TFR does not remove C4 as it forms a crystaline barrier.
C4 will also not bring back the backness of plastics, nor will DLUX. You need to clean and prep the area then apply these products. If your plastics are very faded, Solution Finish is the best course of action.

Looking....
20160609_135407.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Application with sf is really easy too. I'm assuming it's just a dye of sorts? Back in the day I used to use bumper gel at work, which is very much like revive in texture. And although sf isn't cheap you don't need much.

Clio 197
Really...?

Not true - TFR does not remove C4 as it forms a crystaline barrier.
C4 will also not bring back the backness of plastics, nor will DLUX. You need to clean and prep the area then apply these products. If your plastics are very faded, Solution Finish is the best course of action.
I'm only speaking from experience after I used a local car wash. Obviously they aren't all the same. Cleaning and prepping isn't that difficult or time consuming. Wash the car with a shampoo that doesn't have wax and use isopropyl alcohol. When I used it on my front grills, they looked brand new.
ETA: It didn't completely strip off the coating, it just become blotchy

Last edited:

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I used gtechnic on my 172 on all exterior plastics including front grills, they were slightly faded having never been treated before, but now look like brand new and will not need looking at for at least a year which suits me perfectly

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Seen somewhere about heating plastics to bring them back to black. Never tried it though and i'm guessing you'd need to be careful not to melt them.

That's meant to be a one time fix, bringing the last of the oils to the surface or something. After it's been done you'll have to keep on top of it with trim dressing

Renault 5 GT Turbo
That's meant to be a one time fix, bringing the last of the oils to the surface or something. After it's been done you'll have to keep on top of it with trim dressing

Pretty much.
Every time you do it, it releases oils from within the plastics. If you keep doing it, the plastics will become brittle.

A good, deep clean of the plastics, apply a dressing and gently warm them and then buff away is about the best way of getting a dressing to last.

I'm only speaking from experience after I used a local car wash. Obviously they aren't all the same. Cleaning and prepping isn't that difficult or time consuming. Wash the car with a shampoo that doesn't have wax and use isopropyl alcohol. When I used it on my front grills, they looked brand new.
ETA: It didn't completely strip off the coating, it just become blotchy
C4 will not degrade when exposed to even the most harsh TFR due to its make up - it is chemical resistant.
If the application became blotchy, it's unfortunately more likely there were parts of your surface that did not bond to the C4 (or rather it to the surface).

K_McDermott

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 230 r26
As mentioned previous engine oil works; also peanut butter (non chunky lol) which makes em smell nice, tyre shine back to black or wd40 what I normally use, basically whatever I've got to hand haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No sorry that was a while back.
It dries off fairly quickly, after a day or abit of rain it's no longer oily or dirty to the touch.
The plastics get stained black by the dirty oil, you usually don't need to redo it.