ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PMS Top mount bearing

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
After some replacement bearings for the PMS top mounts, but I was just wondering whether anyone knew where to get some of the 'uprated preloaded' bearings from besides direct from PMS?

I've seen the normal standard ones here - http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m18-spherical-plain-bearing-gek18t-teflon-lined-704/
and they're soo much cheaper than buying the same from PMS, but I was just wondering whether anyone had a link to others.
What's the actual difference in the two?

Cheers!

2011 Clio rs200
Probably a bit late but im having trouble understanding how a spherical bearing can be preloaded?

I was always under the impression that preload was acheived by aligning both bearing races in a certain way
and spherical bearings only have the one "race" as far as i can see.

Im not an engineer by any means but interested in how things work, so correct me if im missing something here

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I got the McGill bearings for my ktec top mounts, and they've been fine so far (but just one track day). I needed different dimensions to the ones linked above.

Not sure if I've added any value to this thread or whether this will help anyone 🙈:smile:.

Last edited:

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
I brought them from PMS just to be safe and save messing around measuring them.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The pms uprated top mount bearings are minebea if I remember correct (have ordered them before) I know the rear beam uprated ones are definitely minebea. Preloading a bearing is typically when you have more interference on the outer race to reduce end float, and I think this might be the case as the preloaded bearings seemed to be a bit harder to press in.
Bloody shame I don't still have the packaging from my bearing, I only put it in a month ago, and didn't see the thread until now.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
The pms uprated top mount bearings are minebea if I remember correct (have ordered them before) I know the rear beam uprated ones are definitely minebea. Preloading a bearing is typically when you have more interference on the outer race to reduce end float, and I think this might be the case as the preloaded bearings seemed to be a bit harder to press in.
Bloody shame I don't still have the packaging from my bearing, I only put it in a month ago, and didn't see the thread until now.
I've got ktec ones now mate. Just ordered some SKF bearings, and i'll laser cut out some washers from PTFE at work.