ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

polish/waxing

washed ,clayed,polished car and then put 3 coats of p21s on over the space of a week, how many coats of p21 can i put on before i need to polish again?????? cheers.

106 GTi
As many as you want!

Only polish when you have scratches, blemishes or marks you want to remove, or want to strip of old wax and start again.

BMW Z4 3.0i
So is polish an abrasive? Is it like a milder version of scratch x or rubbing compund? I've been using super resin polish thinking that it was pretty much the same thing as wax! *gulp* I've still got swirls though so it's not like I'm down to the metal yet :(

106 GTi
Polishes vary in how abbrassive they are, some are super has ,some very mild. No worries with Super Resin it is *very very* mild, no detetectable removal in clearcoat thickness when used by hand according to Brazo's trusty paint depth gauge.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I have a tube of rubbing compound in my stash of products, would this be any good for swirl removal over the entire car surface or is it worth forking out for scratch X?

^^Rubbing compound will haze the paint like a liquid sandpaper, scratch x is different as its abrasive break down to a nice finish

106 GTi
The compound may be overkill, and will cut very quickly, the Scratch X is a safer option, but the rubbing compound would do a quicker job.

Be carefull if you do use it, and test it in a small area first as it may put in smaller scratches than the swirls its removing due to the abbrassives in it.

Edit, beaten by butter boy ;)

BMW Z4 3.0i
Thanks guys. I'm still waiting for a dry day but it looks like i'll end up getting some scratch X. I imagine after about 30 mins and my arm feels like it's gonna drop off, I'll be dreaming of a PC. :(

BMW Z4 3.0i
After I made that post I had a look at them on the net. $200 for a PC and changeable heads. (~£110 before you buy the polishes) I just don't think I'd want to spend that much unless I KNEW I was gonna have a finish like when it came out of the showroom. I could fook up my paint or just not do it right. Plus it'll still take a while to do.

106 GTi
You will have a finish better than when it left the showroom.

Trying the Scratch X and seeing how you get on is the best route first.