ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ported Sealed

Im having real difficultly deciding which type of enclosur to go for. Ive been on the phone to 3 different ICE companies this morning and two said ported and one said ported sounds better but sealed would be better for a clio?

I was, and still might make my own box, but some people have put me off slightly saying if i get it slightly to big or small or if the port size is to long, short or wide i could mess up the tuning and it would sound naff.. Somthing which seamed so easy to do is now looking very hard to get right.

Ive got it all planned out and ready to start building but i need some oppinions whether to go Ported or Sealed and if anyone can give me any advice on ported boxes, what can go wrong or what makes them good? I need the box to be 35.1 litres in volume for a sealed box, running the SWR 1242D 12" Subs, i know that but is it the same for a ported box, which apparently sounds better for the type of bass i want.

cheers

Suzuki SV1000S

Ported is better IMO - Gives you a much lower and depper bass sound, Usually the boxes can be smaller too.

Saying that in my old 1.2 I had a 15" Rockford and the box was ported, Still filled the whole boot though lol.

Fabia vRS

check out:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/efmax/http://members.lycos.co.uk/efmax/

My mate has had this guy design two sub enclosures so far, and both were excellent in terms of response and depth of bass.

My mate just gavwe him the measurements of the size of box (or sizze of boot in this case) and told him which sub/driver he had (think it was a twin voice coil JL Audio 10").

Think the design cost him £25, but then he bought the MDF, cloth etc himself and made it all up.

the only thing with sealed though is, is it just a thud thuding bass or nice boomy deep bass? may be a stupid question but i have only ever heard ported subs lol

if somone can convince me a sealed box is the way to go then ill start tomorrow with the building

Polo + Micra

Quote: Originally posted by shaunyboi on 10 September 2005
the only thing with sealed though is, is it just a thud thuding bass or nice boomy deep bass? may be a stupid question but i have only ever heard ported subs lol if somone can convince me a sealed box is the way to go then ill start tomorrow with the building

you dont want boomy bass

you want nice tight bass notes which you will get from a sealed enclosure

As above! :)

That efmax guy that jonnybad posted seems to be a bit of a legend from what I can see - Im seriously considering getting a design done by him but Im just not very good at making things! :-S Hes not particularly cheap if he makes the box for you either! :-S

yeh thats what i thought, i downloaded the programme he uses to design the boxes.. BassBox 6 Pro, its not that hard to use if you knew what all the jargon meant anyone could do it. I made quite a nice box design on there and then it tells you what materials you will need, all measurments and sizes of the ports etc

i might just go mad and have two sealed 10" subs attached to the parcel shelf and a dirty great ported 15" beast to top it off. not forgetting a few neons to make it look pretty lol