ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Positive effects of Polybushing?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Feel free to educate me on this one:
I know that most aftermarket bushes such as Powerflex, are to stiffen up the suspension and handling, and to stop the car rolling around so much, making it feel less like a rubber Duck on the North sea.
Having inspected my Dog bone, can see the polybushes have been swapped out, although the Clio was like it when it was bought, so have nothing worse to compare it too. But it feels good and solid.

What else is good to swap out the bushes to firm everything up, rather than just wait for OEMs to fail?

For instance, i see wishbone bushing mentioned a lot- what does that help? And would like to stiffen up my steering, so which bushes need to be replaced for that?

As an aside, i see lots peeps stating that new top end mounts improve things- what they improve- the strength of the coils and dampers? Engine mounts, gearbox mounts- do they just all make the car more solid? Any more benfits. Thinking of swapping all mine out- rather paying someone to do them LOL

And how to stop the slight roll on cornering- ive a front brace strut fitted, but no rear.

Any advice to swap out which bushes, and what it would improve, be appreciated.

Thanks

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
main reason to polybush really is because the rubber ones wear and perish quickly. Polybushes should last the life of the vehicle too so once bought they wont need replacing. front ARB bushes would be the first things id do personally. Solid topmount for the same reason really. wont wear out like the rubber ones

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Got solid top mounts, is ARB Anti roll bushes- where they located?

roll bar underneath i guess

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
yes in the powerflex pic they are are 2 and 3

Iv recently done the powerflex rear beam bushes also. seems to have stiffened it up a tad

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Rear beam bushes made a massive difference on mine too. In the process of changing the rest at the moment ready for Castle Combe next week, can report back after that if you like?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Rear beam bushes made a massive difference on mine too. In the process of changing the rest at the moment ready for Castle Combe next week, can report back after that if you like?
How much of a job is it to change them over ?

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
How much of a job is it to change them over ?

I replaced the beam on mine as the old one was bent. Not sure how much work it is with the beam still attatched. You need one of these tools to get the bush in though
WP_20160611_18_13_55_Pro.jpg

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I replaced the beam on mine as the old one was bent. Not sure how much work it is with the beam still attatched. You need one of these tools to get the bush in thoughView attachment 178886

Funnily enough I replaced mine for the same reason.

I used a bench press for the casings but you'll need a second pair of hands if you do it that way.

Apart from the hassle of changing the bushes you'll probably need to at least partially drop the fuel tank @RichValver as the bolt through the bush is pretty long

182 Inferno
I dont know a lot about this, but I bought a fully poly bushed 182 and it was the worst drive I've ever had. So f**king hard. But I live pretty much in the country so it's all bumpy B roads...

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I dont know a lot about this, but I bought a fully poly bushed 182 and it was the worst drive I've ever had. So f**king hard. But I live pretty much in the country so it's all bumpy B roads...

A lot depends on what you want to use the car for, for instance in your case @berilia standard bushes with more compliance would result in a more comfortable ride as they are designed to flex with bumps in the road where as for those people whose cars live on a track then the majority would say they'd like a stiffer setup designed to not flex as much, making their cars more precise handling wise

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Do you use the car on the track? If not then I wouldn't go mad with wishbones etc. Only things i would polybush would be the dog bone, ARB, steering rack and maybe the rear axle. Otherwise as a daily it's just a bit much this is all IMO of cause.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
main reason to polybush really is because the rubber ones wear and perish quickly. Polybushes should last the life of the vehicle too so once bought they wont need replacing. front ARB bushes would be the first things id do personally. Solid topmount for the same reason really. wont wear out like the rubber ones

My opinion is more or less the exact opposite. Rubber is designed to give a minute amount of flexibility, but offer good control over the suspension movement. There's a reason road cars don't have rose jointed suspension, it would need rebuilding every 5 minutes, and you'd have no teeth.

OEM Rubber bushes are designed to last 100,000 miles or many many years, and have countless hours of R&D put in to them.

I would not like to see the state of some poly-bushes even after only 5 years / 50,000 miles of road use.

On my 172 Cup I replaced the lower arm bushes with OEM, replaced the rack bushes with nylon ones, and all the top mounts with OEM ones, bar the rear beam - I poly'd that one.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Now that looks like what I was after- now to find a fitting guide

4 bolts hold the rack to the subframe, unbolt, lift rack out of its housing, remove old bushes and fit new ones (they're split so the come off and go on really easy, with a hole to align on a lug) fit rack back onto subframe and bolt back up.

Worst part of the job is access, it's fairly limited if you're led on your back

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Do you use the car on the track? If not then I wouldn't go mad with wishbones etc. Only things i would polybush would be the dog bone, ARB, steering rack and maybe the rear axle. Otherwise as a daily it's just a bit much this is all IMO of cause.

Yes- will be using for 3 or 4 full track days, then a session or 2 at each of the 6 or so meets I go to each year.
My Dogbone is already polybushed, and due to check most of the other bushes to see if OEM or polybushed

I don't mind a bit of shake rattle n roll, just not a bone breaker. I have another daily driver, but use the Clio a fair bit as its more fun

So am deciding whether to swap out all the bushes or not, and that decision may be down to condition of the existing bushes

Engine mount is deffo OEM