ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Private Number Plates

RS Meg 175
Hello people,

ive seen loads of peeps on here with really nice Private plates but i just wondered where you got them and how much they were?

As ive found a nice couple on a website but im unsure of the website :S

also some of you have downsized plates which also look v.nice are they legal? lol

and are you aloud to say put the characters close to each other to allow for smaller plates? as i would want to do that :D

heres the ones i found:
M22TTA
M20TTA
M50TTA
M60TTA

Off of www.carreg.co.uk

then it gets into 3 numbers which i dnt want lol

its sposed to look like Matt or MattA

what ya thinks?

Chars peeps :D

Chocolate Bar™
got mine off the dvla including the transfer fee and VAT for 250.

M15DDO which i thought was a bit of a bargain

RS Meg 175
yh i had a quick look on there to check and it says this...

spacer.gif
M.gif
2.gif
2.gif
_.gif
T.gif
T.gif
A.gif
spacer.gif
PRICE £215

The cost is £215 + VAT + £80 DVLA Transfer Fee - TOTAL £332.63 - Please Note - This Price Is All Inclusive "NO MORE TO PAY LATER"

Buy online and save £25, (some numbers may be subject to a small admin charge when purchased via telephone) This secure site can be more secure than using telephone or fax. The V750 certificate should be with you within a few days. You can then transfer to your vehicle the same day OR keep the number for up to 12 months held on the official government certificate (Ideal for a Gift). It really is as easy as A B C..!

Chocolate Bar™
tis indeed.

i bought it online. got the documentation. went to chester to the DVLA who transferred it onto my vehicle, and gave me the tax disc that day. wack the plates on.

remember to ring the insurance company and get the new certificate as a couple of us on here have had a roasting off the police for having 'no insurance.' theres threads by me and scutch on this :(

RS Meg 175
ooorite then what does that envolve just ringing up and telling them your vehicle has a different reg?

also. do you guys have these half size plates? like dutty?
i like them loads but are they legal>? and were would i get em from?
Cheers

Chocolate Bar™
only legal to have the full size UK letter and number convention with correct spacing. you must then have 10mm ( i think ) border around the edge of the number plate. so you can, in theory, cut a number plate down slightly in width, but you cant really shave anything off the height as it would look silly with full size characters.

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
Middo said:
only legal to have the full size UK letter and number convention with correct spacing. you must then have 10mm ( i think ) border around the edge of the number plate. so you can, in theory, cut a number plate down slightly in width, but you cant really shave anything off the height as it would look silly with full size characters.

This has been a much talked subject before and another fourm has a "ask the police" section where the local plod answer users questions.....basically if you number plates front and back are not the correct size and spacing then you can be pulled over for it! So if you cut them or change spaceing or font it's illegal.....hope this helps.

Elliot

RS Meg 175
ok cheers then mate, i take it if you have the thinner plate tis illegal thn?
:O

Anyone got any ideas for a plate that involves my username or actual name (matt)

lol

Golf GTI 1.8T
Dink said:
yeah but the dvla is £250 all in

true!

DVLA is the only place to go...all the other companies are buying them and selling them at a profit with the help of their advertising...god knows why dvla do advertise much.

got my £250 all in...well chuffed!!

rang weds, docs come fri, got the plate made and put it on sat :D

Chocolate Bar™
E11OOT said:
This has been a much talked subject before and another fourm has a "ask the police" section where the local plod answer users questions.....basically if you number plates front and back are not the correct size and spacing then you can be pulled over for it! So if you cut them or change spaceing or font it's illegal.....hope this helps.

Elliot

I actually got pulled by a copper, (not for my cut down number plate) and he informed me that they were legal, but they have to have that certain gap, which is the gap from the top of the character to the top of the numberplate.

see here - margain requirement is 11mm so those coppers dont know what they're talking about ;)

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

'52 clio 1.2 16V
M4TTA is for sale... only thing is i would imagine its slightly more expensive than those above you were looking at

RS Meg 175
i cant find that ^^ :S
but i dont wana go over board on the plate but i wnt one that is ledgible lol
cannay decide :S

Monaco Blue Mk2
M22TTA out of those IMO.

Try ebay aswel, some bargains on there sometimes but can take a while for transfer etc.
As said you can cut down a full size plate, fully legal font and spacings etc, but it has to have an 11mm border all round (from edge of letter to top of plate) and it must also contain the postcode and the BSU mark.
You could just go totally illegal like me and get a 3/4 size plate from fancyplates.

RS Meg 175
wouldnt you get hardcored if you were pulled?
and how would you get it cut? Hacksaw diy jobbie?
Cheers

Monaco Blue Mk2
Matta_88 said:
wouldnt you get hardcored if you were pulled?
and how would you get it cut? Hacksaw diy jobbie?
Cheers

Me personally? For mine it'd be £30 spot fine.

Blue4Ever said:
As said you can cut down a full size plate, fully legal font and spacings etc, but it has to have an 11mm border all round (from edge of letter to top of plate) and it must also contain the postcode and the BSU mark.

Hacksaw is fine, I did my first plate this way and then filed it for smoothness and to round the edges. You would get away with it as long as you have 11mm all round, don't need to worry about the postcode and BSU mark IMO. Depends how arsey and correct the copper gets if they pull you. I've been driving round with a non standard plate for a good 2 months now. Not been pulled or anything.

RS Meg 175
lol wicked ^^ cheers for all that

cant find a good plate that is readible :( or within £500 lol dagnamit!

impreza p1
mine came with the car, its valued at 600 and might sell it soon cos i want one with my name instead

DSC01673.jpg

'52 clio 1.2 16V
Matta_88 said:
i cant find that ^^ :S

it looks like its just for sale privately through regtransfers. but its price on enquiery only

@ Blue4Ever: have you got a bigger picture of your plate on your clio?

Monaco Blue Mk2
<Thats not it on my avatar, that pic is very old! lol. I'll hopefully be washing it tomorrow so I'll try and get some pics for you. I've just put my 3/4 plate on from fancyplates, previously I had a DIY cut down. Try to get pics of both up for you tomorrow.

RS Meg 175
nice one matey i wana see this aswell :)

when you diy'd it did you hacksaw and then file with some 3in1?

also did you ask the plate maker to narrow the gap really close between the 3 characters?

Dont bother getting a 3/4 plate tbh, i got pulled for mine after 2 weeks, and the police said they were cracking down on it..

Liquid Yellow 182
Here's mine, most you prob seen it already. Got pulled last week for speeding and they did tell me off about it, although nothing official. Plate cost me £250 through DVLA about 18 months ago, had it valued couple of weeks ago for at least £1500... not bad! :)

Attachments

• DSC00279.JPG
    DSC00279.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 17
  '52 clio 1.2 16V
sarah have you ever had any trouble with that. i want mine layed out like that (B11GH N) but having the cruise ever sunday just down the road from where i live means that theres plenty of police around. don't really feel like changing it every sunday to a legal one.

Leon Cupra 300
If you order a std UK plate with no fancy bits or anything on them from fancyplates do these have the postcode etc on? or still illegal?

Fancyplates do fully legal ones and showplate ones, but you have to faff around with sending documents etc for the legal ones.

If anyone wants cut down plates then just order a show plate off fancyplates and ask them to cut it down so there's 11mm between the edge of the letters and the edge of the plate!

RS Meg 175
what do legal ones need that fancyplates dont?

and cant you get a fully legal one with 11mm border ? :D

whats all this postcode shizzo? :S

Leon Cupra 300
cant imagine youd get any grief of the cops for having illegal std looking plates, just cos the no postcode stuff on it? play dumb or whatever.

might order some mine are looking tatty