ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Plan (which may change)

Buy a track ish clio 1500 and a part ex from work. Use part ex and attempt to sell at the same time.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had quite a busy family weekend so didn't manage much to the car at all but went out this evening and pottered with the wiring.
I'd like to make it clear that any wiring im removing is not for weight saving! It's because it's redundant and I can clean it up. I'm planning on painting the interior so this is all prep work for that. Even though it'll be brushed on hammerite.
So I hid the passenger side wiring and that was about that.

IMG_9348.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@Djw John

Single post lol ?

Oh FFS! It was a double one, typical that it deleted the one that I left!

I removed the slam panel cos it was redundant with the aerocatches, it really helps access to the engine bay as well. Sorry, I forgot to re-measure the garage but I shall.

Things have taken a bit of a turn for the worse with this, I was basically 3 jobs away from having it MOT ready (rear brake line, bleed brakes, fit harness) when it really didn't want to start yesterday. It was popping and banging whilst turning over and then when it did eventually fire it ran terribly. Was able to identify that it was cylinder 3 that was being lazy, with having the 182 on the drive it does make parts fault finding easy at least, was able to rule out injectors, leads and coil pack which left the plug or the engine itself.

Removed the plugs and noticed that cylinder 3 one was noticeably looser than the other 3, now I know that it blew plug 3 out when I didn't own it but a new plug went in fine. Figured it made sense to compression test it when its all apart anyway and got the following results, 1-4: 110, 150, 170, 175 which obviously isn't great. I've managed to source a known good engine and box (from the old track car!) so I'm going to get that but for the sake of £20 I've got nowt to lose so may as well fire a helicoil in this one and see if it takes.

Annoyingly this all happened just after I ordered genuine Renault rear brake lines! Went for them since they've got the flexi sections in them (182 ones anyway) so will probably outlast this car! Part numbers are 8200113855 and 8200113856 for anyone wondering. Not cheap for brake lines but I don't have a flaring tool atm so it probably works out about the same on this occasion!

172 Ph1
With regards to the heater , it all works fine. Poverty spec [emoji12].

a3574dc8635cdeb478b1b0c1b560fa2b.jpg

For some reason it didn't show me the rest of the post . Well I've read it now , read you sorted the heater now .
Great progress on the car btw [emoji1303].

Nice one @Djw John garage looks similar to what I'm allowed to build width wise so just want to get a rough idea.

Shame about the engine though but worth seeing if you can get it going again even if you kill it having fun?

Check my thread for brake line bits! Also replaced those pipes/flexis on mine, worth doing and makes things loads nicer to work with. I assume yours wouldn't have the compensator like the Cup which makes things a bit cheaper :up:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah mine still has abs. Hoping to do the lines tonight if my daughter goes to bed without a fight.

Got the engine put back together to turn it round for better access to the rear lines and also so I don't have to push it up the drive tomorrow when it gets taken to Dave's work for its engine swap which we hope to do this weekend.

Shame to take the front end off again but it needed to happen.

IMG_9390.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
She did not bad so I've done the lines and bled 3 out of 4 brakes and just taking a quick drink break!

Ah that'll be awesome then, lovely size to have. Mines pretty long so having the workbench has been great.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Missed this last night, £25.21 each. Which is weird when one is double the length of the other!

tbh that's a lot less than I thought, I was going to pikie up the rear lines on the RB with the old splice and dice but for that price i'll replace them! cheers!

Worth getting while you can...

I was going to replace the compensator to flexi pipes on my Cup but by the time I got round to working on the car, a matter of weeks later they were discontinued :( be warned!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Lets start with, f**king hell we're tired! But happy, very happy. 50 miles done so far and its been going well so far.

As above we started yesterday evening and after not long we got it to this stage

32964518653_157e6581d1_c.jpg
Untitled by john.holligan, on Flickr

and then a wee bit jiggery pokery

33620871162_c8d9e13522_c.jpg

got us to

32964520653_752516013d_c.jpg

so we rewarded ourselves

33620879662_3a5a3632ab_c.jpg

and pottered away until about 1. Got started about 10 this morning after dropping Daves wheels off for a refurb and a hour later it started on the first turn which is always a great feeling!

Took it along for its MOT which it passed with flying colours, which made me very happy as about the only thing I've not had off this is the rear axle!

32934330414_255eeaf3d4_c.jpg

Back to the yard where Dave was busy fitting seats, harnesses and number plates to @Gaz85's cup

33620774102_6c2ee7daf8_c.jpg

33392617310_4d8e79ee9c_c.jpg

And then on the way home I had to pick up a click and collect order from Tesco, perfect daily/family racecar! (The harness will be getting adjusted, just wanted it good enough to MOT!)

33736287796_16fd8aa84a_c.jpg

Back home and next to the RB but this time fully legal!

33736300976_79de87b0a9_c.jpg

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Had spin out earlier in mine with back stripped. So raw, and noticeably quicker with nowt in the back. Not staying like that though :-(

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm glad I've got the rb for daily use, this would be a bit much. Although since it's on konis it actually rides really nicely so it's not harsh. f**king loud though!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Went out for a 20 mile blast last night to make sure everythings working alright, tweaked the konis and that improved things a lot, proper sized wheels and tyres will be good too! Needs a new thermostat and the speedo sensor played up but only once and briefly. Other than that its going very nicely, even stopped for some shoddy pics with its awful wheels and tyre combo!

33800430565_cd9c1ecfe7_c.jpg

33670987821_0757c3f12e_c.jpg

33415666050_ed60b125b6_c.jpg

33415647250_be6b4aeafb_c.jpg

32987387953_96732d528a_c.jpg

33800411815_19d5b214f6_c.jpg

And today cleaned the inside and the windows and sorted the harness.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much has happened in the last week as life has got in the way/ not been feeling up to it.
But after a particularly shitty day yesterday I forced myself into the garage with a 4 pack and a need to some pottering. Got the new thermostat on, throttle cable lubed, camber bolts on and interior wiring tidied up.

Should've taken more pics but wasn't thinking about it, only got this one that I sent to Dave.

IMG_9563.JPG

Fair bit neater than it was. I'll remove the dash at some point to sort wiring and get rid of the insulation but not before this track day.

Passenger subframe and single din blanking plate were ordered last night