ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah it was always the plan after having every single bit of the front end off over winter bar the subframe!

Tbh I didn't even bother try getting it right by eye as can be seen with the before figures!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Sunstrip fitted

IMG_9577.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not a huge amount to update, spanner check and a rebleed of the front brakes to replace the fluid that got hot when bedding in the pads. 230 miles done and a full tank gone! Washed and quick detailed but no pics.

And did this, yes it could be better but I got really bored!

IMG_0955.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Was waiting to see if any track pics appeared but they've not!

Got on very well, first track experience in about a year and a half and only the second on 2.5 years I think so was rightly a bit nervous about being rusty and the car having had an almost complete rebuild in the last few weeks.
I settled down halfway through the second lap and was f**king loving it!

The car did very well, it's never handled better and the engine got better as the night went on. Couple of wee issues, think the alternator is overcharging a little and my £14 brake pads were dogshit! So I'm very happy and proud of what we've achieved with it.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not actually touched the car since the track day, need to rebleed the brakes to replace the fluid, will need to get new pads as well, sort the alternator and a couple of other wee odds and sods.

Picked up the top engine mount poly bush yesterday though so fitted that just now, not actually driven it but sitting with it in the garage you can certainly feel the extra vibration and stiffness!

IMG_1026.JPG

If anyone knows or spots any uprated pads going cheap give me a shout, they only need to last a 2 hour opl!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Pottered at it for a little while today and did such essential things as changing the mirrors and side strips.

I don't really like the black mirrors but the way the chicane is at knockhill I know my red ones will come a cropper at some point, much easier to repaint black ones!

So at first it looked like this

IMG_1028.JPG

And then like this.

IMG_1030.JPG

Will need to get some badges and a rear trim for the passenger side.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It took quite a lot of effort to get it like that! It's not quite as good on the other side but it flexes so much now that it'll probably change every drive

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Clips look to be in tact though and at least noones smashed a self tapper through at some point and left a massive hole, flol!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well yeah there is that!
My other bumper is better shape wise but only has about half the paint on it that it should! So it's sat in the loft until it's needed.
Along with black side skirts and an iceberg front bumper. The wife doesn't know.

Rb 182
Looking good. Can't believe how much work we put into that shed to get it ready.

But was well worth it.

Still love this car.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Not much else has happened recently, a little pottering here and there but with 9 days until the next track evening I guess that'll need to change!

The only visual change is I picked up a cup spoiler, it will get painted flame red at some point but I chucked it on regardless for now.

34439393062_c3c487c2a6_c.jpg
Untitled by john.holligan, on Flickr

34559842626_511dd5d1bc_c.jpg

34470921541_9d17c3d767_c.jpg

Almost works for some angles and then doesn't from most others!

And on Thursday just gone after pissing about on Daves Evo for a bit I downed tools and went for a hoon. Did more than 100 miles and used a lot of petrol but it was superb, just me, the car and the sun, no stereo, no phone reception, felt great after it if knackered.

Some of you may recognise the location from the RB thread

33791457353_78d8c503fb_c.jpg

34439414992_806b587730_c.jpg

34215460370_e1ded048f8_c.jpg

34439414992_806b587730_c.jpg

34470944631_938f9a95f4_c.jpg

34439421582_d67a755e0e_c.jpg

The plate was clean when I left! I was genuinely struggling to see through the windscreen by the time I got home!

34559885556_4cd37a09d5_c.jpg

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'll find out the name of the reservoir Stevo and let you know.

Do it Ben, why not?! I'll get this painted eventually but got better things to spend the cash on, like track days!

Speaking of which, anothe done tonight, another set of pads brutally murdered. Will post up any pics I get but ATM this is all of them

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

This was clean when I got there, it's just brake dust!!

IMG_1283.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh and timed myself for the first time ever, few 63 second laps with the best being a 63.5 which I'm very happy with. I reckon I can get that into the 62s with some decent pads but more importantly, seat time. I can definitely improve on that by a fair bit.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
For the sake of 5 minutes it's worth seeing if it does or not.

I think I've burnt the front wheels. This is after 2 hits of dragons breath, scrubbing and pressure washing!

IMG_1292.JPG

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
[QUOTE="Djw John, post: 11400419, member: 6366"I think I've burnt the front wheels. This is after 2 hits of dragons breath, scrubbing and pressure washing![/QUOTE]
Oh dear. This exactly happened to my old wheels, although lack of paint when I painted them didn't help.
My new wheels I put some quartz coating on and there are no marks on them after a few track days. Also helps the new wheels are black .

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
According to fb it's a year since I bought this back, definitely times where I wondered if I'd done the right thing in the past year. But now it's like it was never away, so much I want to do to it still but it genuinely makes me happy, it's the funnest car I've ever owned, especially in its current spec.

Let's see what changes with it in the next year!