ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Needed to get out the house for a bit last night so went to the garage and pottered. Not a massive fan of the painted inlet that's flaking and since I've another 3 sets of inlets I thought I'd see which ones where matched best. Long story short, the ones that were on it! Did give me a chance to check the spark plugs where still torqued up at least, don't want a repeat.

Wee bonus though, I'm 99% sure that the head has been ported and polished at some point, we thought it maybe had been but had never looked!

IMG_1345.JPG

And the lower inlet too

IMG_1346.JPG

So that explains why it goes so well! Once I get a decent exhaust I'll head off to EFI then that'll do for power.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It's been a properly miserable day up here today and having been in the house with the wife and child all day I was beginning to go a bit mental. There's only so many danger wanks a man of my age can manage in a day.

So I escaped to the garage for 40 minutes and hope to get back out again after dinner. Took off the last of the tar inside and removed the rear seat bracket. That took a bit of care and attention to try to not make it look completely s**t.

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Really interesting eh? I know it'll make no performance difference but it'll look loads neater when it all gets painted.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Worryingly little has happened recently, barely even driven it tbh but motivated to get on with some things again. Today was mostly about clearing all the scrap I've collected and all the other various shite that seems to gather.

It's a practical track car at least

IMG_9687.JPG

and finally the back was at a decent height, all I need to do is carry 190kg in the boot at all times!

IMG_9688.JPG

Turns out it's down at 960kg with a full to the brim tank so that seems ok given it's been a half arsed attempt to strip it. Still got the sound deadening behind the full dash, the front door cards, all glass, all metal body parts still and 16" wheels.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Bit more pissing about today. Fitted a ktec stealth the other night (big thanks to @Djw Dave for drilling out the centre mount bolt..) and today decided to get rid of the sound deadening from behind the dash since you could see it and it was annoying me.

Only 5kg saved including a decent amount of wiring that I removed but it was more about neatness, I'll never notice any speed difference with that!

Couple of pics to keep @Dr Jekyll happy.

IMG_9884.JPG
IMG_9888.JPG
IMG_9889.JPG
IMG_9890.JPG

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh FFS! It was a double one, typical that it deleted the one that I left!

I removed the slam panel cos it was redundant with the aerocatches, it really helps access to the engine bay as well. Sorry, I forgot to re-measure the garage but I shall.

Things have taken a bit of a turn for the worse with this, I was basically 3 jobs away from having it MOT ready (rear brake line, bleed brakes, fit harness) when it really didn't want to start yesterday. It was popping and banging whilst turning over and then when it did eventually fire it ran terribly. Was able to identify that it was cylinder 3 that was being lazy, with having the 182 on the drive it does make parts fault finding easy at least, was able to rule out injectors, leads and coil pack which left the plug or the engine itself.

Removed the plugs and noticed that cylinder 3 one was noticeably looser than the other 3, now I know that it blew plug 3 out when I didn't own it but a new plug went in fine. Figured it made sense to compression test it when its all apart anyway and got the following results, 1-4: 110, 150, 170, 175 which obviously isn't great. I've managed to source a known good engine and box (from the old track car!) so I'm going to get that but for the sake of £20 I've got nowt to lose so may as well fire a helicoil in this one and see if it takes.

Annoyingly this all happened just after I ordered genuine Renault rear brake lines! Went for them since they've got the flexi sections in them (182 ones anyway) so will probably outlast this car! Part numbers are 8200113855 and 8200113856 for anyone wondering. Not cheap for brake lines but I don't have a flaring tool atm so it probably works out about the same on this occasion!

@Nitro182 here you go.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
10 years to the day since I first bought this, owned it for about 7.5 of those years. By far and away the longest I've owned a car.

Just had a quick look through this thread and its interesting seeing it before I ruined it! Its certainly been used and abused over the years and long may it continue! Got a track night on Thursday and then after that its literally make or break time. Going to be checking to see how much the rust has worsened and either cage it or break it, You can guess which one I want it to be!

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
You on the MD motorsport tracknight on thursday? @Djw John if so i shall see you up there, will probably be my cars last trackday this year before it goes in the garage for some changes

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yup sure am, going up with @Djw Dave in his bg 182 and @Gaz85 in his cup.

I'm hoping to do one more but depends on the rust situation I think.

Jan and Feb will be write offs for me doing stuff as I'll have a newborn in the house so needing to bring winter projects forward a bit.

Rb 182
Yup sure am, going up with @Djw Dave in his bg 182 and @Gaz85 in his cup.

I'm hoping to do one more but depends on the rust situation I think.

Jan and Feb will be write offs for me doing stuff as I'll have a newborn in the house so needing to bring winter projects forward a bit.

Oh Haii,

Lets not check and solider on regardless.

This'll be the last out for me as well. Too many upgrades required.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Packed and ready to go for track day number 10. Or maybe 11, can't be sure!

IMG_0063.JPG

Yes I'm aware that the wheels look utter w**k on this but they'll only be used if it's wet and I don't want to wreck my suoerleggeras. It's weird cos they look quite good on the rb.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nobody hopes it more than me! But I'd be mental to pour a fortune into the shell when I have the rb sat there. It'll become the track slag if needs be.
Willing to put some cash into sorting it but not a stupid amount.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai be shame to kill it, doesn't need to be a pretty repair if the sills are gone, just slap some plates on and good for few more years!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well last night went pretty damn well, was dry for the first hour and a half and then the rain came heavier and heavier in the last half hour. When I knew my tyres were fully bald so just went out for fun, was quite impressed with how much grip it still had though.

I wasn't sure about the DS1.11 at first, the initial bite is awesome but then it felt like it was slowing me down as much as I expected. Then I was following @Djw Dave who was on DS2500 and pushing them as hard as possible and I was just tickling my brakes. Realised it was more because I didn't have a point of reference really, turns out they're mega. And couldn't get them to fade either.

Had really good fun with @cpaterson76 as well, he claims his GoPro was off but I reckon he just deleted the footage! Shame I don't have one, the flames on upchanges were mega.

Used Harrys Laptimer again and set a new PB of 62.9 which is down from 63.5 iirc but more importantly I was consistent to within a couple of tenths lap after lap in the low to mid 63s so i'm delighted with that.

Only issues now are I think I've cooked the alternator, defo cooked the battery, the exhaust seems to be hitting the bodywork somewhere at the back and when I first hit the brakes the gearstick really jumps, thinking its the top box mount, the other 2 main ones are uprated so I'll get on that.

No pics yet but I'll keep an eye out for any appearing

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Would of liked to have come up to this but was working till 5 wouldn't of got up there till after 7.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Good night John, camera was in the garage unfortunately! wasn't really enjoying the night other than battle with you, up until the last 15mins where were we felt good in the car! Then the manafold cracked!! Wondering if that was the power problem earlier........???

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Did it? That sucks! Just the standard one?

It's got to be worth investigating, I shouldn't have been able to see you never mind how close we were.
I guess with a supercharger the power band is great for the road but maybe not so much on track. Do the inlet temps get quite high?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Good night John, camera was in the garage unfortunately! wasn't really enjoying the night other than battle with you, up until the last 15mins where were we felt good in the car! Then the manafold cracked!! Wondering if that was the power problem earlier........???

Just a thought, what box is in yours? 200 or meg?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fixed the garage door temporarily for now and got the flamer back into the garage and popped the skirts off.

IMG_0090.JPG

Not too bad.

IMG_0091.JPG

And with 2 minutes and a flap disc it shows this is the worst bit.

IMG_0092.JPG

Not holed so I think it'll get some treatment, a layer or 2 of paint and the skirts out back on. It's good enough for a track car I reckon. Will need to investigate further tomorrow but I don't use power tools in the garage after 9 if I can help it.

I know if I look further I'll find more but why the f**k would I do that?!