ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
So, I might be dreaming here, but as I was taking the dash frame out tonight, I spotted something on the loom...

So this is the ECU controller for the EPAS column. I managed to find the 2 plugs and bit of wire the other week up the scrappies...
IMG_3597.JPG

So I take the frame out, and spot a bit of loom all taped up, near the door. Low and behold, it's this.
IMG_3598.JPG

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the identical plugs needed for EPAS. Does this mean my loom already has the connectors integrated into the loom?!

@NorthloopCup

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So, I might be dreaming here, but as I was taking the dash frame out tonight, I spotted something on the loom...

So this is the ECU controller for the EPAS column. I managed to find the 2 plugs and bit of wire the other week up the scrappies...
View attachment 151993

So I take the frame out, and spot a bit of loom all taped up, near the door. Low and behold, it's this.
View attachment 151994

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the identical plugs needed for EPAS. Does this mean my loom already has the connectors integrated into the loom?!

@NorthloopCup
It certainly looks that way mate yes!

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Found it. It's the pinch bolt (I couldn't find) for the steering rack to connect to the column.

Reckon I need to use his or will the stainless but and bolt I fitted suffice?

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
For the ten minutes it'd take to swap, I would use the Oem part mate.

Will probably be ok as it is, but steering is pretty important. :)

You're probably right. It wasn't difficult to put he new bolt in. Just a bit fiddly.
Should be easier though only having to bolt up one end this time though!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
The wiring for EPAS will probably end at the bulkhead connector and need a wire fitting into the engine bay side and a fuse adding to the box.

@GrahamS

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Another one! My cup had the epas dash loom already there too! It will end at the engine loom though so you need to get the wire from e3 in the r107 to the fuse box. That does mean the dash light and diagnostics will be wired in though which is good. A couple of the original plug wires will need to be snipped to be soldered to the control box.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Another one! My cup had the epas dash loom already there too! It will end at the engine loom though so you need to get the wire from e3 in the r107 to the fuse box. That does mean the dash light and diagnostics will be wired in though which is good. A couple of the original plug wires will need to be snipped to be soldered to the control box.

Come again?! 😂
Think I might need to call on an electrical wizard.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So the car went to Chris' unit last weekend.
f68e15212f80bfb8bea9a356adf0286b.jpg

Garage is a bit emptier now. Pile of crap to make it look not so empty...
69523c683572e0788b1e263fa294e18c.jpg

As of now, Chris has racked in the main hoop, main legs (a pillar), screen bar, the 2 rear downward bars, and rear strut top collars. Photos courtesy of Chris.
d49cb9f4ee6f622d6740250ef638dfaa.jpg

2489e6fdd5cc606e33cd35257550bec1.jpg

d92e58011c65a44b3819c21d28b1fb67.jpg

Custom cages say the strut bar provided is the harness bar and needs to be chopped. Still doesn't seem right.
Oh, and the rear diagonal is too long, so Chris is having to trim that and profile it.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So it's been a while.

Car is still at chris' unit. Custom Cages lost the first test piece he dropped off to them, so he had to send another, and redo the paperwork.
Went up Friday night to get the seating position, rails, and harness plates arranged, so Chris has been cracking on with those since.

Got a massive surprise Monday this week though, when I got a message from @Steven103 to say he'd been up the unit during the day, beavering away on the car. Was a really nice thing for him to do, and totally appreciated.

He came over as well last night and took a load of parts to take up to Chris' unit.
Hopefully over the remainder of this week and the weekend, we (when I say we, mostly Steven I expect) will have got a lot more of the major stuff done on the car, as time is pressing on now before Cliosport Festival.

The original plan was to have it all done and have the interior painted, but for now I'll just be mega happy to get it done and worry about tarting it up after that weekend.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
What are the odds that this will be done by the end of the month? :smiley:
50/50 Lol

Really hoping it will make it. I do need to get a passenger seat though.

I told Steven he could drive it on track. So he said he would, at 15mph, whilst batting away the other cars with his arms out the window, and screaming "GET AWAY" 😂

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Big session last night. No, no, no. Not the gym.
Returned to Chris' unit last night. Chris cracked on with more welding whilst me and Steven did some work on the car.
Yes, I actually did some work. Amazing.

Front suspension and brakes are all on, along with the studs.
Unfortunately the front offside brake line is weeping, so we didn't get it bled up.

Left the unit at 2am this morning.

Today, Chris has been back up the unit. Got the rear harness bar re-profiled (due to the fact the harness bar sent from custom cages is clearly not right), and the front half of the cage done.
Got the rear end tacked in but unfortunately ran out of gas again.

So just needs to finish that, do the seat rails.

Steven has been by again and picked up a few bits. Hopefully be back up the unit Monday night.

14aca8f6db6bdfaafaafe15ec7bce246.jpg

67183d7b29d0417a22155434e8211fb9.jpg

6636de280b42f9f7bdbb5e5c88fe7ada.jpg

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
So had a few more bits and pieces arrive this week.

I'm ditching the xenons (partly because one didn't work, and the lack of headlight washers), so purchased some TYC halogen headlights. Not bad for £60 for the pair.

Also got a sunstrip, continuing the green theme.
image.jpeg

And a few cans of green paint for the grilles, etc.
image.jpeg

Also now have a selection of stickers ready to put on the car. Thanks to @LeeRS for the awesome work and turning them round so quickly! They look "faded" as they still have the protective film on them.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Unfortunately it is now likely that the car won't make CSF. Gutted, but I'd rather it was finished properly and not a rush job.

Do have a couple of other bits lined up though, so watch this space.

Can only thank everyone again who has hard a part in supplying, advising and helping with the car so far. It is massively appreciated!