ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PS4/PC] No Man's Sky

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Not just an open world; an open universe.

Looks very impressive from an exploration point of view.

Skip to 4 minutes in and watch:

Last edited by a moderator:
  RS Clio 182
Im really interested in this - i love the idea of you being the first to discover things and naming them yourself. I wonder how they generate things,and how different planets/animals really will be.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
This is looking absolutely staggering. No longer a PS4 exclusive, either. XBox, PC and Nintendo have jumped in.

‘No Man’s Sky’ Will Take 5 Billion Years To Fully Explore.

RS Clio 182
Just spent about 3 hours discovering my first home planet ''LV-426'' hehe,not bad for a first planet,it is scorched at 40 degrees but has some interesting caving systems....just found a monolith and ive repaired most things on the ship. There 3 other planets in the system so will need to check those out,what a mental experience,you could spend hours just exploring and discovering an area of a planet. Just found my first colony outpost so off to see what that is. Very impressed so far.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'm looking forward to getting a go tonight, been excited about this game for a while. Please let it not be boring!

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Ah I see, so far all I can report is its huge and radiation is a b**ch.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It's truly insane. It reports distance in time so you can look at a planet and be hours away from it. Mind boggling

Also, meet Hat Dog
image.jpeg

Truly insane

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Graphics in that video don't look as good as I as expecting. Is the game more polished and that was just an early prototype?

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
It is just exploring yes, you need to gather resources to upgrade things and you have to explore for them, but it's very intriguing to fly to other planets, maybe a moon anyway. Eventually you go to the centre of the universe but I don't know anymore than that

Graphics are a difficult one because it's very much of a certain style, but it does have some rough edges although I think it's more to do with the procedural nature of the game.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
There appeared to be a fair amount of screen pop-in from the video I saw. Personally, I couldn't play it if it was that bad. The occasional item or piece suddenly appearing in the distance, I can cope with. Rolling mid-range details simply appearing out of thin air is a bit much for the eyeballs to appreciate.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
This looks fairly boring, not something that's interested me since seeing the trailers. No story apart from make it to the centre of the universe?
You might bump into someone but then if you do, you can't interact with them.

I'm interested in seeing the packaging as apparently the multiplayer section has been stickered over (not sure if since launch day or after) so they are either dropping it all together or waiting a while to introduce it, by when, everyone will be bored.

RS Clio 182
I think anyone like myself who is into space and the universe,this is a must have game. Ive never played anything like it,the scale of it all,and the different experiences of discovery. The planets can be very different,one can be lush and full of wildlife,and one can be dead,no life at all,and a very lonely place. People who are moaning about mulit player and saying its boring,arnt really getting what the game is about,or its just not their thing.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I think anyone like myself who is into space and the universe,this is a must have game. Ive never played anything like it,the scale of it all,and the different experiences of discovery. The planets can be very different,one can be lush and full of wildlife,and one can be dead,no life at all,and a very lonely place. People who are moaning about mulit player and saying its boring,arnt really getting what the game is about,or its just not their thing.
From what I've seen, it does strike me as being appealing to a specific type of person. It's certainly not a mainstream game of universal appeal - a COD or GTA game, for example.

The space genre is one that massively appeals to me too. There are many games out there that simply use space as a backdrop with little thought or effort into portraying that setting across to the player. One game from back in my Amiga days was Millennium 2.2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_2.2) which I played through so many times. It really conveyed a sense of exploration and resource gathering for the greater good. The only issue were that the resources themselves resided on the same planets and moons for every game. Meaning that you knew exactly where to head to in order to get an early lead over the CPU AI.

However, for my first true surface to space experience, I have to go back to Starglider 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starglider_2) - which in its day was nothing short of breathtaking.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm still undecided as to whether I'll pick it up today or not. I like space, but Elite Dangerous was a massive let down and I'm not a fan of wholly unfinished games

I loved stuff like Starlancer and Freelancer, but I don't really go for the survival games

DCi
I'm tempted but I keep saying to myself I must complete Doom or I will never go back to it before I get this. Plus if I complete doom I can trade it in :D

Evo 5 RS
I'm still undecided as to whether I'll pick it up today or not. I like space, but Elite Dangerous was a massive let down and I'm not a fan of wholly unfinished games

I loved stuff like Starlancer and Freelancer, but I don't really go for the survival games
I gave Frontier the finger the moment they wanted me to pay another 30 odd quid for Horizons. As for No Man's Sky, I'll wait till it's cheaper. This looks like a time eater also, and not convinced it's any good yet.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you for your recent transaction on Steam.
The items below have been added to your Steam Library.
If you are new to Steam, you can get the free Steam application here.
capsule_sm_120.jpg
No Man's Sky

Dickhead.

Yaris Hybrid
So loads of drama going down about the PC port but LOL funny thing is the game runs great on my PC although that could be because I ditched the broken piece of s**t that is SLI a few months back.

Unfortunately whilst it runs great (walking around on the first planet it does anyway), every time I exit the game my screen goes black and my PC is f**ked. Have to reboot it!

Currently one hour in. So I have one hour more of testing time before I have to refund it. May well refund it anyway and get a PS4 copy from Argos first thing tomorrow. Master race FTFW yet again - NOT.

Don't get what the fuss is about so far though. Most boring first hour of a game ever.

Edit: I have Elite on PC and XO and whilst that game didn't meet my expectations I had more fun in the first hour just planet hopping doing board missions than I've had in NMS doing a dull version of Minecraft.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Where did the evening go?

Enjoying it so far, aside from a crash a few minutes ago that seems to have been in aid of a patch. Game seems to delight in giving you no indication of what the f**k is going on. Not had any weird jittering so far.

Reddit seems to have tracked down the crashing/not starting issues to SSE 4.1 support (which is like 10 years old). The f**k are people doing trying to run new games on 10 year old CPUs

Last edited:
  Yaris Hybrid
Got 114 minutes in and had to make a decision. As I say it ran great on my machine so no beef there but £40 was on the line and I only had six minutes left of my window.

In the end I opted to get my money back. If it were £20 like an indie game should be then yeah I'd have kept it there. It had near as damn it two hours (the length of a movie) to draw me in but it failed. I just found it dull, tedious, the inventory management was mega annoying, I wasn't being drawn in by lore or any kind of story (regardless of whether it is told indirectly like Dark Souls or directly via dialogue), the first person and flight mechanics were mediocre and I just felt I had no overall objective or a least not one I gave two-sh*ts about.

On my family Minecraft server we don't have a story or objective set by the game but we have things we all work together on etc. With NMS being a solo affair it gives me the same feeling as solo minecraft - ie. "why the f*** am I wasting my time doing this?".

Evo 5 RS
Where did the evening go?

Enjoying it so far, aside from a crash a few minutes ago that seems to have been in aid of a patch. Game seems to delight in giving you no indication of what the f**k is going on. Not had any weird jittering so far.

Reddit seems to have tracked down the crashing/not starting issues to SSE 4.1 support (which is like 10 years old). The f**k are people doing trying to run new games on 10 year old CPUs

I'll wait.

A shiny black one.
Just played a few hours of these, already up to a million and looking to upgrade my ship. Other than mining I'm not really sure what else there is to do?

Sentinels are c***s.