ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pug 206 issue

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Any of you clever chaps able to help?

1.6 petrol 206.

Driving along on the motorway, speedo dropped to 0, 'Airbag fault', 'ABS fault', 'Brake failure' all flashed on the centre console screen.

Brakes still work but I assume the ABS wont. Anyone know why this POS is playing up?

Thanks - Sam

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mrs just paid the AA £170 to come out to her on the motorway (not a member) - they looked at it, said it's safe to drive and off they went. She now reckons she can smell burning.. doh!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Now broke down in Winchester town centre and the temp light was flashing. Apparently AA want another £170 to come out..

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hold on, so Davvy's name is Sam, not Dave?

Surely if the AA guy sent her on her way saying it's fine, and now it's broken down, they can't charge again?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Hold on, so Davvy's name is Sam, not Dave?

Surely if the AA guy sent her on her way saying it's fine, and now it's broken down, they can't charge again?

haha yeah, first name is Sam. She's now paid another £60 for them to get her back to Crawley. Hassle!

monaco 172
Need to get Peugeot planet on it mate. Go on the Peugeot forums somebody will have it. I've got it but based in Sheffield.

Peugeot are useless with any other brand of diagnostic equipment.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So AA man came out, and ~£240 later.. he got it going again. Apparently the alternator wire was loose which meant the car slowly shut down stuff such as the speedo, abs etc. Does this make sense?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
That makes sense, my missus nearly crashed her Clio when it threw up a million and one faults before locking the steering up.

Turned out to be a loose connection on the battery!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
That makes sense, my missus nearly crashed her Clio when it threw up a million and one faults before locking the steering up.

Turned out to be a loose connection on the battery!
Had the exact same thing in my megane! That was fun coming out the corkscrew at Anglesey with locked steering

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The AA man put the black tape on, but these wires under the car seem to be going to the alternator and dont exactly look secure!

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_7025.JPG

IMG_7033.JPG

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It broke down again shortly after, got it recovered to Rentech, the legend, he replaced the plug which goes into the alternator as that had seen better days. But ir broke down again, so the issue must be something else.

Detailed description if anyone can be bothered to read and help, thank you!

''Ok so I got onto the motorway, nothing seemed off, as soon as I hit 75mph, the speedo pin just dropped and it flashed at me saying airbag fault, abs fault and brake fault. So I moved onto the hard shoulder (my brakes worked perfectly fine, my indicators were working. Nothing was wrong physically with the car)

I left it for abit, turned it on and there were no warning lights and everything seemed normal so I tried to get it off the motorway. Again, I hit 65/70mph and the same thing happened again. AA comes, say they think it's an electrical fault and follows me to Winchester (was doing no more than 55/60mph) he left as it seemed to be working fine again. I drive around for 15 minutes down small roads (20/30mph) and I think I can see smoke, look at the temp gauge and it has gone completely off the meter and the cars telling me to stop. AA come and move around my alternator cable as he thinks because another mechanic cable tied it away, he's done it too tight so there's not enough power supply so the cars shutting down.

Drive Winchester to Portsmouth down back road (most I done was 50mph) worked fine. Got onto the motorway the next day, hit 70 and the problem happened again. AA do a computer check on it, can't find anything wrong with it.

I drive to Crawley doing no more than 60, was fine. Drove it around yesterday, no more than 50, was fine. Drove it last night, hit 70 and happened again.. This time adding more faults (something to do with the battery, the power steering went, the car lost power, the dashboard wasn't lit up anymore but the car lights were still on thankfully. Haven't touched it today.''

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Rentech found a thing online where some 206's basically have an unfixable electronic issue.. so it isnt looking good

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
IF yout can't fix it.Nobody can and thanks for reconditioning the gearbox on the vee last weekend
One problem when I select reverse car goes into 1st and when I go into 2nd it goes into reverse

Haha you pillock, anytime! That RB in your picture looks a bit old and tired, could do with a polish!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
AA come and move around my alternator cable as he thinks because another mechanic cable tied it away, he's done it too tight so there's not enough power supply so the cars shutting down.

Ahh yes, tight cable ties restricting the flow of electricity - common that.

dan's cast offs.
check for water ingress in the loom, they suffer from it hell of a lot, usually takes the ecu out though.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Has any proper diagnostics been done? Or have the AA folks come out, fiddled with some connections under the bonnet and sent you on your way?

If the temp light is flashing up, have you checked the water temp to make sure it's a false reading and not actually boiling up?

It's French, and old. Good luck!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A few different garages have had it now.. so I'd hope some form of diagnosis has happened.

But it has had two new alternators now.. as the first alternator was assumed faulty but we found out the new one isn't charging the battery either as it broke down yesterday! Sat in traffic, overheated, the AA man said the fan wasn't coming on. Left it to cool, continued with battery light on, another 20 miles or so then 'brake fault' again due to the low battery, pulled over to check brakes worked, car wouldn't start. Fired up with a temporary battery from the AA man. Now her battery is on charge today to get her to Rentech tonight.