ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pulling left under medium to hard braking

Clio Trophy
My initial thoughts would be a caliper (assuming front right?) although it's a bit odd.

When braking as hard as possible it's more or less negligible, it's more for the moderate to fairly hard braking braking that it does it.

It starts off worse if the brakes haven't been 'exercised' for a while. After a few emergency stop efforts it's definitely not as bad.

No issues at all when just driving along that would hint towards a typical sticky caliper. If it is a sticky caliper then it evidently doesn't have a problem retracting. A sticky mid-point a possibility? The problem all but disappearing while braking as hard as possible makes me think along those lines.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
no matter what the specifics here, it definitely sounds like faulty caliper to me, either sliders or piston itself. so I'd begin with a light strip down in situ and check the slider sand make sure the pistons can be retracted relatively easily in the caliper

Clio 172
My initial thoughts would be a caliper (assuming front right?) although it's a bit odd.

When braking as hard as possible it's more or less negligible, it's more for the moderate to fairly hard braking braking that it does it.

It starts off worse if the brakes haven't been 'exercised' for a while. After a few emergency stop efforts it's definitely not as bad.

No issues at all when just driving along that would hint towards a typical sticky caliper. If it is a sticky caliper then it evidently doesn't have a problem retracting. A sticky mid-point a possibility? The problem all but disappearing while braking as hard as possible makes me think along those lines.
Sounds like a sticky caliper to me. The piston would still retract fine as it's usually not that that sticks, usually one of the sliders.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
If pulling left, surely it'll be one of the left calipers? Lol.

That would depend on whether it's the left side 'dragging' which to be fair you'd probably feel (may even have discoloured disc if it's got really hot at some point, or glazed pads) or it could be the right side caliper not working properly, either would result in the same outcome of the car pulling to the left

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
That would depend on whether it's the left side 'dragging' which to be fair you'd probably feel (may even have discoloured disc if it's got really hot at some point, or glazed pads) or it could be the right side caliper not working properly, either would result in the same outcome of the car pulling to the left
That's fair enough, didn't really think of that my bad. It was late though haha.
Think my reasoning was more towards if that caliper was sticking/binding that it'd pull in that direction but just the other one not working would do the same you're right.

This scenario is a very common issue with the Clio, mine will do it with really aggressive pads in and my callipers are free. With mine though I think its more to do with it being stripped, so less weight over the front left and very aggressive front pads, with OE pads in its fine. Also just to note I had this when my NSF ABS ring was cracked and slipping, but the car would literally try to turn 180 degrees under hard braking.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
This scenario is a very common issue with the Clio, mine will do it with really aggressive pads in and my callipers are free. With mine though I think its more to do with it being stripped, so less weight over the front left and very aggressive front pads, with OE pads in its fine. Also just to note I had this when my NSF ABS ring was cracked and slipping, but the car would literally try to turn 180 degrees under hard braking.
Mine pulls and squirms both ways on hard braking, but the tracking is out I believe as it'll pull left just during normal driving unless it's binding that bad. It's not the rear though as I recently rebuilt them. Just had new ABS rings on, so not an abs problem.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
What's ABS?? Lol, got rid of that a while ago now, although I should probably give all my calipers an overhaul soon

Mine pulls and squirms both ways on hard braking, but the tracking is out I believe as it'll pull left just during normal driving unless it's binding that bad. It's not the rear though as I recently rebuilt them. Just had new ABS rings on, so not an abs problem.
By nature the 1*2's with ABS aren't the most stable under hard braking, the ABS & ESP system is the least effective of any performance car I've owned TBH, as above needs to be ripped out to gain real control over the braking, 172 cup master and hard lines with a proper bias valve is what I'll be doing eventually.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I've gone with a cup setup for now, but I will be putting a proper bias valve in before long

Clio Trophy
Aye.

It's more that the right side isn't braking as well as the left side. Hopefully it's just the sliders needing freed otherwise I'm tempted to get an old pair of calipers off ebay and send them off to Bigg Red for a refurb.

Clio 172
Chances are you wont need to buy a kit, this happens to me every so often (10k or so) because I keep using copper grease. Proper brake grease is well worth it. If it's pulling to one side under medium-heavy braking it's likely to be the opposite side that's sticking, but do them both anyway it's only a 10min job either side.

Last edited:
  Clio Trophy
Now thinking I'll get a cheap pair of used calipers off ebay so the car isn't stuck off the road and refurbish them myself. I work in industry so I'll be able to bead blast them and paint them no problem.

Think I'll replace the front brake hoses too while I'm going to that extent, if that doesn't stop the pulling then at least I know what it isn't!

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
Chances are you wont need to buy a kit, this happens to me every so often (10k or so) because I keep using copper grease. Proper brake grease is well worth it. If it's pulling to one side under medium-heavy braking it's likely to be the opposite side that's sticking, but do them both anyway it's only a 10min job either side.
Interesting, I used copper grease on the sliders (which were lovely and free) and have noticed the car pulling to one side on braking. Will something like Pagid Ceratec Brake Lube be alright?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Interesting, I used copper grease on the sliders (which were lovely and free) and have noticed the car pulling to one side on braking. Will something like Pagid Ceratec Brake Lube be alright?
Any lithium or moly will be fine.

PH2 172

Never use copper grease on any moving parts.
It is an anti sieze agent, & is highly abrasive causing wear.

Clio Trophy
Here's a nice before and after of the calipers I bought.

Just got to build them now. I only realised today that the wheel actually pulls to the right as the car squirms left under braking. Had convinced myself I was having to steer into it myself but tried some braking with almost no grip of the wheel and it's clear as day.

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    733.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0908.JPG
    IMG_0908.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 104
  Clio Trophy
Got these refurbished calipers fitted today and it seems to have solved the problem. Mechanic did say one the original calipers felt a bit sticky so I'll be interested to see what they're like when I remove the pistons.

Pulled slightly left a couple of times under hard braking but I suspect that's just something a dodgy caliper was exacerbating.

If you still have original calipers and carriers I'd suggest it's worth doing this regardless of problems though as the brakes feel ridiculously more powerful and keen to bite than before.

It'll be good to actually have some confidence in the brakes again and enjoy driving the car rather than feel like it's going to rotate off the road! Refurbished Sachs dampers going back on shortly too. :smile:

Last edited:

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Got these refurbished calipers fitted today and it seems to have solved the problem. Mechanic did say one the original calipers felt a bit sticky so I'll be interested to see what they're like when I remove the pistons.

Pulled slightly left a couple of times under hard braking but I suspect that's just something a dodgy caliper was exacerbating.

If you still have original calipers and carriers I'd suggest it's worth doing this regardless of problems though as the brakes feel ridiculously more powerful and keen to bite than before.

It'll be good to actually have some confidence in the brakes again and enjoy driving the car rather than feel like it's going to rotate off the road! Refurbished Sachs dampers going back on shortly too. :smile:

Hmm it's interesting you say this because i have a similar problem, i had all my brakes checked over and apparently they were all good so for now i am going with changing all the suspension bushes etc as they are probably all shot anyways. Did you rebuild them yourself or send them off?

Clio Trophy
Bought a set off ebay for £25 and did them myself. Didn't have to take the car off the road that way. Got seals and parts from brakeparts and biggred.

I only did them myself because of access to tools and equipment at my work. One of the nipples had been rounded and it took a couple of attempts to get it out using oxy-acetylene it was that seized, I'd have been pretty miffed if I'd only been able to do them in the house!

Clio Trophy
6 years hence and we're in the same boat here! Has been this way for a while to be honest, car squirms quite a bit to the left and the steering wheel pulls to the right.

Annoyingly 2/3 years ago, the front right caliper (one of the two that I'd refurbished) was replaced due to a sheared nipple. It must be cheap shite though as the caliper body itself is all corroded.

No longer have the same capacity to carry out a refurbish myself so thinking I might go with these-

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a set of OEM calipers from my 182 that would be ideal for sending off for a refurb if you wanted to go down that route. It's what I did with mine, sent to SSL and very happy. Mine were just looking a bit worse for wear and one rear caliper was a bit lazy (probably sliders).
Either way I'd definitely want to stay genuine where you can, those look decent.