ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RAF Upper Heyford.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
These aren't particularly "photography" like. They are more point and shoots with my D40. I just love the location.

Upper Heyford is an airbase near me. During the cold war it was used by the Americans. They built a hospital, social club, petrol station, big general store, bowling alley, schools etc.

However, with the end of the cold war they left. And in 1994 it was officially decommissioned leaving these buildings derelict. Now I dunno about you but I find stuff like this fascinating, I love exploring old buildings and such.

Anyway, the point is after seeing a report by someone on the 28 days later website. Here, and here (which is a great read and I recommend having a flick through the flickr accounts too!) I had to go up and have an explore!

Despite the snow, me and a mate decided to drive up there and have a look around!

Here you can see both the General Store and Hospital. The large building on the left is the hospital. And the one on the right of the photograph is the Shop.
4258396285_99a5b6b16b_b.jpg

More of the Store...
4259424566_c8ede687ab_b.jpg

4258667949_26126c5064_b.jpg

Here is that hospital. Sitting on the edge of this large patch of closed off land right next to the houses of Heyford. The houses are still lived in. As for the aerodrome its still used for office buildings.
4259148760_41d6c5f392_b.jpg

We snuck through the fence and walked around the back of the hospital. Treading in the footsteps left by large security guards boots! The hospital was bricked up or boarded up at ground level. The main entrance however (under the canopy) was not. But they were electric sliding doors that were locked so we left it. Anyway all the way around the hospitals were these bricked up doors to the basement, filled with water.
4259145426_f02af176d8_b.jpg

Again, around the back was a large door to the basement of the Hospital.
4258395225_be6864e857_b.jpg

Window at the hospital
4259150608_8480c920ff_b.jpg

Working our way around, past the large playing fields...
4258671147_8393618964_b.jpg

4258656925_7685c0392e_b.jpg

Around the side to the Store was a good entrance, complete with buzzer/phone.
4258653877_550ceef912_b.jpg

4258390867_f66af03f80_b.jpg

Epic location, shame I'm not good at this photography thing ;).

Ian

Focus TDCi
Fascinating location and good crisp clean shots to be fair. :) Now you've been there once it would be good to go back.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Aye, i think the people on 28 Days had someone on the inside letting them in. However, around the side (slightly out of view) some boarding had been pulled away and the window smashed so you could get in there probably, but they have recently put up iron bars :(.

I wonder if it would be possible to get permission to explore for photography purposes?

DCi 100
Doubtful that someone would have let them in, especially an old hospital with security, they will have found their own way in ;)

Awesome photos anyways, definately go back and visit again as the more times you visit the more you notice and take in.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Aye a friend of mine whos in to her photography said she wants to go up there for some shots so if the snow ever clears I'll take another run up there probably!

PH1 iceburg
went here quite a bit doing some police training, on the aerodrome area though.

Nice pics.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Some great pics there, nice location too. I like that sort of thing though, the feeling of abandon-ness.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks Lauren :). Thats exactly the same as me jenic. Something really cool about how its been abandoned. The 28 Days Later sight is full of stuff like this. I can sit for hours trawling through it! LOL