ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Re-trimming door cards

Jap Box
Right, ive ordered myself some sheets of leather to re trim the door cards with :)

Few questions before I set about doing this:

1. When the door card is removed is it possible to pop out the middle part with the fabric on? Will need to do this to obviously pull the ends of the leather behind so it doesnt look unfinished

2. What type of product would be needed to secure the leather onto the panel? Some spray on adhesive or would something else do the job better?

Also looking to do the back set, same question for that as o how I would remove the center of it :rasp:

Thanks to anyone :) sorry if its the wrong section too.

1.6 Ford Focus
I was thinking about doing this but I was told it was not possible, although I managed to pull half of the middle section out of my front door cards without taking the card off.

Let us know how this goes, pics needed.

Jap Box
Taken a quick look at mine and the middle part has roughly 6/8 small blobs of glue near to the ends of it, im going to have a go at ripping them off the old cars door cards and see what else is behind them.

So far im thinking it is possible to do, but you will need to replace the blobs of glue attatching the fabric area onto the door card afte re-trimming them, which wont really be too hard a task.

Ill have a go with the old door cards as said to see how much damage could possibly be done by pulling them off the door. if that isn't an option then possibly creating a template the same size as the door out of some thin card/fibre glass, then re-trimming over that and simply sticking that over the original would be an option, but not the best really as it could look messy and will poke out slightly more.

1.6 Ford Focus
I guess if you don't mind ruining a soldering iron you could melt some of the glue and pull it off. The front side closest to the dash looked like it had some clips on mine which came out easily but the same can't be said for the other end closest to the back.

I only just looked at your profile, we have exactly the same car haha! The poky 1.2 8v is quite popular :D

Jap Box
I guess if you don't mind ruining a soldering iron you could melt some of the glue and pull it off. The front side closest to the dash looked like it had some clips on mine which came out easily but the same can't be said for the other end closest to the back.

I only just looked at your profile, we have exactly the same car haha! The poky 1.2 8v is quite popular :D

Are you talking about the whole door card or the middle section? The door card is attatched with clips and the door seal above it clamps it down, remove them and the torx screws at the bottom and then simply pull it off the door, its got glue type stuff holding it down which re-sticks after removing it.

I do have a soldering iron here to ruin, only cost £8 odd anyway.

I got a few off my pushing a flat head behind and just snappin the glue from the card, but then it wouldnt work on some and it snapped the actual card itself.

Seeing as you can pull it out enough to see the glued parts im sure you could have a hacksaw blade fit down there and cut straight through them then simply glue the part back on when finished.

Im going to buy some leather anyway and see how it goes simply stretching it around and using spray glue over the original fabric thats below to stick it down, wouldnt have thought it would turn out too bad really.

Got two door cards to mess with anyway before the actual ones are tried, should have a good method thought up by then :)

Also, possibly a heat gun could be used on the rear of the cards to melt the glue down to try pull it away?

Anyone with more knowledge in this able to help out?

You can definetly pop out the fabric part when the door cards off if you look behind it you will see about 10 bits where it's clipped through just use a flat head screwdriver to open it up and they pop out.

Jap Box
You can definetly pop out the fabric part when the door cards off if you look behind it you will see about 10 bits where it's clipped through just use a flat head screwdriver to open it up and they pop out.

Yeah thats what ive been doing, need to be carefull about it though because its simple to snap the door card when doing it.

Ive ordered in some spray adhesive and cheapo fabric to test it with anyway, will see how it turns out :)

I don't remember being careful can remember stabbing myself with a screwdriver trying to get it out though. Get some pics up when you've done it it's something I considered just not found the time.

DCi 100
Only the rear doorcards have clips for the material inserts iirc. The fronts are plastic welded in.

Jap Box
Only the rear doorcards have clips for the material inserts iirc. The fronts are plastic welded in.

Thats a help :) will make rear easier.

How is this going?

First attempt failed badly, material just wouldnt bond properly and I got frustrated because I was being glued onto the door card too.

Now ive taken the fabric off the door card completely and just left the sponge section on there so I can use the fabric to create an exact sized template for the new material.

When ive done that ill give it another go by sticking it straight onto the sponge backing, if that works ill then buy some larger sealant to stick the middle of the door card back onto the actual doorcard.

Will update this when ive made another attempt, most likely next week when ive got some free time :)

FormulaFord Ecoboost
How you getting on with this?

I've just bought some black 'Cobra' fabric which I'd like to use to retrim the blue suede in my doors. I plan to get Cobra seats when I've got more money. I'll also make a gear gaitor and handbrake gaitor as well