ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear shocks - is this dead?

Norbury90

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Silver 182
I have zero mechanical knowledge. Literally zero. Here's a pic.

20170615_201048.jpg

Is this buggered? The other one doesn't look like this. Are they expensive?

Norbury90

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Silver 182
Nice one, cheers guys. Are they specific to cup pack/non cup pack? Need new driveshafts as well so I will get bent over in preparation. Damn thing.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Which driveshaft?

J&r is where I got mine, £50 delivered, passanger side.

Get cup rear shocks

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
All rear shocks will be the same fitment, just cup ones are slightly stiffer I believe. Down to personal preference. Definantly change both at the same time, even if the other side seems ok.

Also, I have had a J&R driveshaft fitted for a while now and no issues whatsoever. Mine was passenger side.

Norbury90

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Silver 182
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Will speak to the garage and see what happens. The joys of Clio ownership eh? Good job I like the thing.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Rear shocks are very easy to replace yourself - is the one that's leaking banging away as you drive along?

OEM driveshafts are a whole different level of expensive. I bought a set direct from Renault probably about 18 months ago now. They had a cash-back offer for returning the old shafts within 7 days. I think I got about £80-£90 back simply for handing back my knackered units.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I paid £160 for a genuine Renault driveshaft earlier this year. This was drivers side as they discontinued the passenger side, hence me going for a passenger J&R one.

Renault have now discontinued both sides now, along with many other mk2 parts so I must have got one of the last ones.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeh, if you want to start learning about doing little bits on your car, I can think of much worse and harder jobs than changing the rear shocks :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Jack up the car on the rear beam, then place the axle stands on the rear seal jacking points. Undo the top nut which I think is 17mm, but you'll need some small adjustable for the top of the shock in case it spins.

Then it's a 18mm for the lower shock bolt. I normally lower the jack a tad so it's not so much pressure on the rear shock when undoing the lower bolt.

Reverse the effect when refitting new ones :smile:

That's how I do it anyway, others may use a different technique. But as @leeds2592 said, there is worse jobs to do. This is a great DIY starter job.

Last edited:

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Jack up the car on the rear beam, then place the axle stands on the rear seal jacking points. Undo the top nut which I think is 17mm, but you'll need some small adjustable for the top of the shock in case it spins.

Then it's a 18mm for the lower shock bolt. I normally lower the jack a tad so it's not so much pressure on the rear shock when undoing the lower bolt.

Reverse the effect when refitting new ones :smile:

That's how I do it anyway, others may use a different technique. But as @leeds2592 said, tgere is worse jobs to do. This is a great DIY starter job.
Exactly how I did mine :up: