ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

reason for continous bearing failing?

PB 172 phase 2
This is the 3rd set of discs/bearings going on the p/s rear wheel. something has to be wrong with that side of the axle or wheel. Question - will tracking help diagnose whats causing bearings to go again and again on p/s rear wheel? And How much can I expect to pay to have it tracked?

PB 172 phase 2
On the previous two occasions that the p/s rear wheel bearings went an independent garage changed the discs, to be honest I did know the mechanic and I remember him saying that he kept and reused the washers. Im starting to think that because that is the wheel that is kerbed the most(by previous owner/s)that maybe too much pressure has been applied to the wheel against the kerb and maybe this has buckled or warped the wheel enough to cause excessive stress to the bearing so they are not lasting as long as they should. Im going to change them myself this time.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Get onto George @ RTR, he can do you brand new discs and a fresh set of washers - that way you can be sure all quality stuff is going on.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I can sort you some decent rear discs (with quality bearings), but as said fitting them correctly is crucial to the life of them.

The washer Must be fitted (and correct way round) and re-torqued correctly

2003 Clio 172
Funny enough, I have my car at a garage at this very moment due for replacement discs.
I just got a text saying the washers don't fit the new discs. Well, they fit but the disc is poking further out thus the caliper won't fit..
Surely they are doing something wrong..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The fitting is 90% of the job on this, get any of it wrong and it will wear out quickly. Even OEM bearings will die quickly if not done up to the correct torque.

When it comes to car parts, the majority of the population will buy on price alone. Unfortunately a lot of the time you do get what you pay for. Buy OEM or Brembo discs (or whatever brand George offers - he knows what he's doing!) not the cheapest you can find at the local autoparts store.

I've just put new front arms on my car. I could have bought them for £60 each, but I chose to buy the ones at £100 each as i'm fairly certain that Febi Bilstein know how to build them better than OCAP or whatever the Eurocarparts brand was.

PB 172 phase 2
The fitting is 90% of the job on this, get any of it wrong and it will wear out quickly. Even OEM bearings will die quickly if not done up to the correct torque.

When it comes to car parts, the majority of the population will buy on price alone. Unfortunately a lot of the time you do get what you pay for. Buy OEM or Brembo discs (or whatever brand George offers - he knows what he's doing!) not the cheapest you can find at the local autoparts store.

I've just put new front arms on my car. I could have bought them for £60 each, but I chose to buy the ones at £100 each as i'm fairly certain that Febi Bilstein know how to build them better than OCAP or whatever the Eurocarparts brand was.[/QUOTE

Had the destroyed bearing replaced yesterday by a mechanic, cost me £90. I will invest in some OEM or Brembo discs when I can, but I still need to find somewhere that will do a proper job(reusing washers and correct torque etc) otherwise it will still be a false economy even with OEM or Brembo..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Had the destroyed bearing replaced yesterday by a mechanic, cost me £90. I will invest in some OEM or Brembo discs when I can, but I still need to find somewhere that will do a proper job(reusing washers and correct torque etc) otherwise it will still be a false economy even with OEM or Brembo..

£90 for just the bearing change? On one side only?

PB 172 phase 2
I can sort you some decent rear discs (with quality bearings), but as said fitting them correctly is crucial to the life of them.

The washer Must be fitted (and correct way round) and re-torqued correctly

Thank you but it will be in the near future now due to getting the bearing replaced yesterday(needed motor for work)

Clio 197
If you're looking for a decent garage, you can't go wrong with TwoTechs in Dartford mate. They're not exactly round the corner from me, but I know their work is top notch. Never heard a bad review about them

330i. E30 Touring.
Funny enough, I have my car at a garage at this very moment due for replacement discs.
I just got a text saying the washers don't fit the new discs. Well, they fit but the disc is poking further out thus the caliper won't fit..
Surely they are doing something wrong..

Yep, either need to wind the piston back in, or lever the caliper slider over so they slot in.

Make sure they use the washer and don't just leave them out, or the bearings will be goosed in three months.

Would suggest not sending your car back there. lol.

2003 Clio 172
Yep, either need to wind the piston back in, or lever the caliper slider over so they slot in.

Make sure they use the washer and don't just leave them out, or the bearings will be goosed in three months.

Would suggest not sending your car back there. lol.

Oh believe me, had to tell them more than once that washers must fit but they'd argue otherwise.
Just picked the car up and what do you know, the washers did fit..

To the OP, trust me, buy genuine parts, it'll save you both money and mind in the long run.
I bought both discs with bearings and ABS rings and the washers from @George@RTR_Parts after a bunch of hassle with shady parts and "repairs".

PB 172 phase 2
If you're looking for a decent garage, you can't go wrong with TwoTechs in Dartford mate. They're not exactly round the corner from me, but I know their work is top notch. Never heard a bad review about them
Nice 1. Thanks for info