ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing 172 manifold?

RS RIP
is the removing of the subframe, or at least moving it a bit , such a big job ? How big of a job for a mechanic with the right tools are we talking about ? (including fitting the 182 manifold)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i was possitive it could be removed from the top once the inlet manifold was removed but i was wrong lol and it 100% has to come from the bottom.

subframe removal is easy enough

i was possitive it could be removed from the top once the inlet manifold was removed but i was wrong lol and it 100% has to come from the bottom.

balls

so you cant even get the 172 manifolds off without having to drop the subframe?

looks like it could be done but if you guys have tryed then ball bags

Lots of Alfas
Its a lot easier on a 172 than a 182 though. On a 182 its a big old thing and the subframe has to drop quite low.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i'm going to leave it until i have an engine crane to remove the engine and gearbox together, its just too bloody hard !

What the hell are people on??

The 172 manifold comes out the top - easy
Take the top inlet manifold off - support the engine on a trolley jack - undo the drivers side engine mount and pull the engine forward slightly - the 172 manifold lifts straight out

You have to obviously disconnect the cat first

Took me all of 20 mins lol

Fitting a 182 manifold is a different story - that's definitely subframe off job. But that only took me 3hrs on my driveway with a mate helping

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

What the hell are people on??

The 172 manifold comes out the top - easy
Take the top inlet manifold off - support the engine on a trolley jack - undo the drivers side engine mount and pull the engine forward slightly - the 172 manifold lifts straight out

You have to obviously disconnect the cat first

Took me all of 20 mins lol

Fitting a 182 manifold is a different story - that's definitely subframe off job. But that only took me 3hrs on my driveway with a mate helping

I'm with Phil here, I took the 172 one out the top just to see if I could when I was swapping to the 182 one.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Its the undoing of the fixing kit ive found a problem, got the first spring screw out but cant get the drivers one out. Just going to wait until ive got the engine out.

It's easier with the inlet manifold off

You can get a mate to hold a 10mm swan neck spanner onto the bolt in the engine bay side - then lay under the car with a 10mm socket on a really long extension and they come straight off :)

Sell me your 197
i had both my manifolds off in about 15 minutes? just take the top inlet off its easy as.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
172 exhaust manifold definitely comes out the top. Easier if you lower the engine so it sits on the subframe once the manifold is unbolted.

No - not really

I wouldn't swap to a 182 manifold for performance as at best you'll get an extra 3-4bhp but it takes 3-6hrs to do depending on your mechanical skill

I only swapped because it allows me to easily switch between a cat and decat - plus my car was off the road so I didn't mind removing the subframe