ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Wind - Engine swap to F4Rt

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft
Hello there,
After driving my Wind 1.2 TCe for a while now, I started to think about a possible engine swap.
The engine is starting to get old, so instead of a new 1.2, why not a bigger one...

Two options:
1.6 TCe or 2.0 TCe.

The Wind comes stock with a 1.6 non turbo, so fitting the 1.6 TCe shouldn't be really a problem, but the idea of fitting the F4Rt is more interesting!
I would like to know, first, if it would be possible in theory and how to do it.

What do I need?
I've heard that the loom of the 1.2 TCe, throttle body, ECU, turbo and all other sensors should fit like plug and play.
My questions:
Engine mounts?
Drive shafts?
Clutch?
ECU Map?
Fuel pump? (Walbro 255 enough?)
Exhaust? Can I keep the original one?
And gearbox... I would like to still use my stock gearbox "JH3 309" can I keep it?

I'm curious on what can be done... :)

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft
Indeed, I popped a f4rt (304bhp in the end) in a 1.2gt twingo. If you search my threads you should find the build one. I tried to cover as much as possible in there, i modified the engine to accept a 5 speed also (y)
Hello Adey,
watched your videos lately and all I can say... insane results! Just amazing!

It's hard to find all the answers I need in your posts...
May I ask you some questions?

The engine mounts fits like plug and play?
Can I keep the drive shafts, or what can I do?
Your "basic tuning guide" says I can put a walbro 255 fuel pump, so that's not a big deal.
The exhaust? Can I keep the actual decat downpipe?
And gearbox... what modifications did you make, to keep the 5 speed? I have a JH3-309.

Thanks in advance!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
all the answers are there if you look, it depends on how you want to go about fitting it all tbh.

Engine mounts, no in a nut shell. You need the 172 cam cover modified to fit and the upper mount on the f4rt engine. Then if you use the 5 speed box mounted on it you can use the 5 speed gearbox mount, dogbone then needs a tweak to line it up from memory.

Drive shafts were covered extensively as I went through a few different setups. On the wind i think you have the RS133 suspension setup? if so I used them shafts with the 5 speed.

Basic tuning guide was written for the 1.2 GT turbo engine.

You will need the f4rt downpipe, I used a decat downpipe on mine.

Gearbox, Again it is covered, you need to use a 172 flywheel and an Rs133 clutch setup with the 5 speed box ( I used a Jr5113 gearbox, not sure if its the same fitment as the one you have) you will need to drill the block and fit a 172 sump to fit the 5 speed though.

try here

yes its loads of reading, 77 pages, but I don't think there is much in there that isn't covered. (y)

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft
all the answers are there if you look, it depends on how you want to go about fitting it all tbh.

Engine mounts, no in a nut shell. You need the 172 cam cover modified to fit and the upper mount on the f4rt engine. Then if you use the 5 speed box mounted on it you can use the 5 speed gearbox mount, dogbone then needs a tweak to line it up from memory.

Drive shafts were covered extensively as I went through a few different setups. On the wind i think you have the RS133 suspension setup? if so I used them shafts with the 5 speed.

Gearbox, Again it is covered, you need to use a 172 flywheel and an Rs133 clutch setup with the 5 speed box ( I used a Jr5113 gearbox, not sure if its the same fitment as the one you have) you will need to drill the block and fit a 172 sump to fit the 5 speed though.

try here

yes its loads of reading, 77 pages, but I don't think there is much in there that isn't covered. (y)
Thank you very much, Adey. :)

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft

try here

So, after reading everything until page 48, many questions I had, are now answered!
At least now I've got an idea, on how the whole process works.
My first goal, would be to just put the engine inside the bay and make it run, like the first start you uploaded.

I only need some little more precise infos...

I will need a Clio 172 sump and cam cover. If I use the 5 speed box, the engine will hold with stock GT mounts, correct?
To accept the 5 speed box, what modifications exactly do I need to make on the F4R?
Clutch: Clio 172 flywheel and RS133 clutch (With the 5 speed box).
The 5 speed box, which one should I use? TCe or DCi? My Wind has the JH3-309.

No way, that I can keep the GT Turbo? Even if I would like to stay under 150hp first?

What if I decide to switch to the 6 speed box of the F4R, would it be possible?
(Like easier way, but more expensive).

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft
Ohh okay, I found the pictures of the block modifications.
Did you use exactly the F4R784 170hp?
Could I do the same as you with a F4R800?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
So, after reading everything until page 48, many questions I had, are now answered!
At least now I've got an idea, on how the whole process works.
My first goal, would be to just put the engine inside the bay and make it run, like the first start you uploaded.

I only need some little more precise infos...

I will need a Clio 172 sump and cam cover. If I use the 5 speed box, the engine will hold with stock GT mounts, correct?
To accept the 5 speed box, what modifications exactly do I need to make on the F4R?
Clutch: Clio 172 flywheel and RS133 clutch (With the 5 speed box).
The 5 speed box, which one should I use? TCe or DCi? My Wind has the JH3-309.

No way, that I can keep the GT Turbo? Even if I would like to stay under 150hp first?

What if I decide to switch to the 6 speed box of the F4R, would it be possible?
(Like easier way, but more expensive).

No you will need the complete 172 upper engine mount, the gearbox mount that matches the gearbox you use (if 5 speed, you can use a modified 172 dog bone mount)

Drill the block and add studs

I used a DCI box, i cant comment any more than that.

No the GT turbocharger will not fit the manifold of the f4rt.

yes you can fit a 6 speed, if you use a meg box you will need to modify the subframe and chassis rail, the 6 speed sump is bigger. you may then need to modify your driveshafts. you can use the 197 6 speed box with RS133 shafts. but the box is weaker.

Renault 1.2 TCe D4Ft
No you will need the complete 172 upper engine mount, the gearbox mount that matches the gearbox you use (if 5 speed, you can use a modified 172 dog bone mount)

Drill the block and add studs

I used a DCI box, i cant comment any more than that.

No the GT turbocharger will not fit the manifold of the f4rt.

yes you can fit a 6 speed, if you use a meg box you will need to modify the subframe and chassis rail, the 6 speed sump is bigger. you may then need to modify your driveshafts. you can use the 197 6 speed box with RS133 shafts. but the box is weaker.
Amazing, thank you! :)

After that reply, I can start looking for a F4R engine.

As long as I begin, I will start uploading pictures here.