ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport 200 - Gearboxes

RenaultSport 182
Hi there
I'm considering changing my clio 182 for a 200 cup (i've seen a 2010 model with 40k) but there are a lot of adverts i'm reading that have 'reconditioned or new gearbox'. I went to go and see a 2011 plate recently that had a new gearbox at 30k! What's this all about? Is this down to abuse or is the gearbox just not up to the job? It seems to be mentioned too frequently in adverts for his to be solely down to poor driving/abuse.

Thanks in advance

John

Gearbox can be a weak point, 3rd and 4th syncro generally I believe. Its always worth bleeding the clutch though just to make sure it is the box at fault.
If the box has to come out its an ideal excuse for a LSD to go in :up:

RenaultSport 182
Thanks, Paul
Is the 200 gearbox weaker than the 182? I thought it unheard of for gearboxes to fail at 30K. Is this a fundamental problem with these gearboxes or is it mainly misuse/lack of care? I'm just concerned about buying a 200 for £7K then having a £1.5k repair bill shortly after...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The gearboxes on the 197's and 200's suffer with synchro ring issues as said above, but renault have now changed the design of them.
I've rebuilt a few TL4 boxes now, and tbh, other than the synchro issue they ain't that bad a box. To put it into perspective, a typical parts cost for the jc5 is £380 + labour. The TL4 however will be around £200 + labour.

I'd say the TL4 is no better, but certainly no worse than a jc5.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
All a bit hit and miss with the 197/200 boxes. Mine, touch wood, has been faultless to date and it's on 80k.

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
For interest, there's a thread on the RS197/200 forum and of about 500 responders 25% have had their gearbox repaired/replaced :grimacing:.

Civic type r fk8
Mine hated going into first gear when cold ,even with a gearbox oil change, it had done 14,000 miles the and the oil was black as coal

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Same as with the JC5, they just don't like to be rushed.
Mine was replaced under warranty at 50k with syncro failure on third. Since then and with the updated parts, it's been fine.