ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement CV boot

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Noticed a while back that I had tiny pin pricks in my CV boots on both sides, but had left it as it wasn't pissing grease out everywhere. Looked today though and there's a split in one boot now so wanting to change them. Are the universal cone ones off ebay okay to use?

Has anyone got a link to one they've used before?

Cheers.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Do they require shaft off to knock out the CV though? Or are they stretchy enough to fit over without doing that.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Do they require shaft off to knock out the CV though? Or are they stretchy enough to fit over without doing that.

You'll need to take the cv joint off if you use one of those.

A lot of people moan about the stretchy ones not standing the test of time. Mines been on for a year or so now and it's absolutely fine.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well I've gone for those stretchy ones now and if they last 6 months I'm happy. Better than what's on now pissing grease everywhere.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well I've gone for those stretchy ones now and if they last 6 months I'm happy. Better than what's on now pissing grease everywhere.
Don't forget to de-grease the inside rim of your alloy too. If it's dumped the lot in a short space of time, the splatters on the inside will translate as vibration/slight woble through the steering wheel.

I've cleaned mine over the years. Simple warm water, some Fairy liquid and a cheap sponge work well to remove it.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Sounds good! Will do just that.
When it comes to removing my shafts, can I get away with just removing the caliper/bottom shock bolts and then pulling the shaft to the side or do I need to remove the balljoints too? I just changed those today, and not wanting to damage the boots.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Pretty sure when I did my ABS rings, I didn't loosen or remove the balljoint. Managed to swing it out away from the hub IIRC.

dan's cast offs.
always found it easier to do bottom ball joint rather than messing with damper bolts when sticking it back together. also on the n/s saves any chance of the shaft pulling the boot out and dropping oil out of the box.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
always found it easier to do bottom ball joint rather than messing with damper bolts when sticking it back together. also on the n/s saves any chance of the shaft pulling the boot out and dropping oil out of the box.
Alright mate, i'll do it this way then, really don't want to drop my oil as it's not very old. Nearly pulled the shaft out when doing the balljoints before but manage to shift it back in without losing any oil.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I went for the j & r ones which include the fitting cone. I'll let you know how I get on. Probably update my thread with it but it'll be Monday at the earliest.
Injected some grease into my boots as a precaution the the splits aren't huge or leaking grease badly.