ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing a 2003 Clio's clock/radio display with something custom

Renault Clio II 2003
Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm new to the forums so I don't know if this is the place I need to be, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. Now for a little bit of backstory.
I'm currently driving a 2003 Renault Clio II Dynamique as my first car (I own it for 5 months now I think). Everything works perfectly except for the display in the middle of the dashboard. It sometimes doesn't light up and some digits are broken. I could, of course, replace this with a second-hand part that was salvaged from another Clio, but where's the fun in that? And it costs around €45,-... So... yeah, not doing that.
I happened to stumble upon this video, which had me thinking: I could replace the defect display with something I coded on a 16x2 alphanumeric display (the same thing the video-guy did). I thought by myself: yeah that could be cool and I really want to try that (had this display in mind). But I'm going to ask some questions here before I order a codeable display and tear open my whole dashboard to replace it.

1. Can I just remove the current, defect display from it's housing (with the buttons) and replace it with that 16x2 display, or is there more to it?
2. Is it possible to have an even better display, like a high-res/LED one in there? (Also what I need to type in at Google to find one of those)
3. What other options could be on that display? Like how much litres of petrol the car has left, the gear the car is in (1-2-3-4-5-R) etc.
4. I'm using a Sony radio so I'm able to play music from my phone using AUX-input, is it possible to show the radio station on that screen as well if I'm using that Sony radio? (as well as maybe using the steering-wheel volume buttons to control the volume with that radio?)

The coding part should work just fine, so I'm not worried about that since I have a little bit of experience with that.

If anyone could help me with answering these questions I would be forever grateful! :)