ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Riggers' 96-Spec JDM Dc2...

JDM Dc2
Looks really nice this. Far better than the usual JDM s**te people do. Will hopefully see it at oulton at some point in the summer.

cheers man, will be the end of the year/early November after the race season mate i wont be doing one in the summer

just fitted the rad i got from the breakers afew weeks ago, old one's on the left I'm amazed the temp never went up on track with this lol -

IMG_3965_zpsacb99986.jpg

both 10mm bolts sheared off on the rad brackets which was a ball ache, filled the rad with some 5yr mixed coolant from euro car parts!

still need to swap the bleed nipples and rebleed my brakes!

JDM Dc2
been a while...

drilled out and tapped a new m6 thread in for the rad brackets so the rad's all secure again now!

changed all the bleed nipples and bled up again using some superblue!

now have a tegiwa mastercylinder stopper -

IMG_3971_zps4a4cf534.jpg

it's been misfiring intermittently for the past few months so finally bought genuine rotor arm and dizzy cap from tegiwa -

IMG_3973_zpsae34e119.jpg

went to change the rotor arm and the screw was previously rounded off from overtightening by the looks of it (old cap and rotor arm wasn't genuine so had defo been changed) so had to drill that out, then I noticed a wire had spliced/broken inside of the dizzy and whilst drilling out the screw I broke the plastic casing that goes around the magnetic part of the dizzy so I went back to the breakers and picked up a new dizzy with a really good condition rotor arm and cap so theyre good spares, all fitted with the new parts, lined the dizzy up by eye to the slots on the old dizzy (was easy as from the oil leak on the vtec solenoid gasket last year there was still oil over the slots so was easy to see where the penny washers lined up on the bolts holding the dizzy on), will get it checked in the near future but the car feels great again!

I've added a tad more camber on the rear (1 full turn on the camber arms/1.5mm to be exact), it was -1.2 when I had the alignment checked and from the trackday in march the r888's gathered abit of rubber on the insides of the rears, the reason I didn't add more like 3mm or 4.5mm is I still want it to be playful/lairy back end, with adding that 1.5mm it should be -1.5 now I'd imagine!

ive also bought a c-pillar strut brace to mount my contour hd on for trackdays in the future!

Last edited:
  JDM Dc2
since changing the dizzy, cap and rotor arm it hasn't misfired once (still need to get the timing checked) but now the speedo's playing up, it was playing up when it used to misfire intermittently and now it's still doing it so I got a couple of these from the breakers -
[
URL=http://s652.photobucket.com/user/jamierigby/media/IMG_4040_zps1024be14.jpg.html]
IMG_4040_zps1024be14.jpg
[/URL]

theyre vss/speedo sensor's that drop into the top of the gearbox, fitted the one that was the exact same to mine, yet to test it but fingers crossed no more speedo playing up and the car holding back and ecu light coming on lol

bought this, a custom made c-pillar brace -

IMG_4039_zps3f51f215.jpg

really well made, the only reason I've bought it is for trackdays to mount my Contour HD camera off for some high revving track footage, yet to try it as it'd be right in the way of the passengers heads whenever there's someone in the back

lastly my manifold's cracked -

IMG_4041_zpsd5c07572.jpg

need to get it welded up asap before it gets any worse, cheap japseed crap! on the lookout for a DC Sport or 98-spec manifold!

JDM Dc2
so... obviously I tested it after fitting the speedo sensor, no joy, tried the 2nd one I got, no joy... after some research and asking people questions and running a diagnostic and it showing error code 17/speedo sensor it must've been this playing up -

image_zps8c6b5aec.jpg

...the kph to mph convertor that's wired in right next to the plug for the speedo sensor, so Ive cut it out and linked the wires back to how they are normally and ITS FIXED f'in finally, just now I have a speedo in kph which is abit crazy but I'm going to order a new convertor and tee that back in.

the other bits ive done in the last month are a new manifold to replaced the crap cracked one, a very rare 5zigen 4-2-1 -

image_zps5a1f8746.jpg

car feels abit more 'free-er' with this on and sounds a tad more raspy

changed the gearbox oil which was a blag as it taken over an hour to fill it back up as it just poured out if you rushed it, used the proper grade stuff -

image_zpsfddea2e4.jpg

removed this pipe... -

image_zps0377412a.jpg

to make way for a catch tank with removing the pcv valve and blanking the inlet you can just make out under the strut brace -

image_zps034a00fb.jpg

and the other part of that metal pipes for a 8mm coolant hose that runs to the TB, so ive bypassed that to lower intake temps -

image_zps4bbd51cb.jpg

gave it a wash -

image_zps25b91714.jpg

random pic whilst out test driving it earlier after chopping out the kph convertor -

image_zpseb11a96d.jpg

JDM Dc2
New convertor wired in and all working again in mph

image_zps437a4d8a.jpg

Wheels needed a refurb and been meaning to do them for ages so a couple of weeks ago I gave them a go... Washed ready for sanding, can see just how bad they were -

image_zps217cf650.jpg

So I went for a colour change -

image_zps0843c5e6.jpg

image_zps14c987cb.jpg

Hammerite smooth gold... I think it made the car look very dated so decided to sand them back and paint them white, the primer reacted so I've had it in mind that they were going to be powdercoated but decided against it and bought these instead ...

image_zps4a8edbb9.jpg

image_zps3441dffe.jpg

Rays Volk TE37 15x7j ET40 with 2 brand new and 2 with 3mm left Yokohama Paradas, I bought some Michelin PE2s last week off Black Circles I may see if they'll return them once I've done Afew more miles on these Paradas to see if I think they're good enough to stay on

JDM Dc2
Forever tweaking of course..

Got a genuine weighted gear knob to replace the crap light 'R' one that was on

Changed the springs on the coilovers from 8kg front 6kg rear as I have the Zeta S coilovers and bought a pair of 10kgs from MeisterR for the fronts and fitted the 8s on the rear.., MUCH better it's how a teg should feel now... lowered the front afew MM more than the rear this time as I've only put 1 turn of preload on them instead of like 10turns on the old setup.. It's much better now it's going to be mega on track now when stiffened up and for the road on fully soft it's like it was fully hard on the old setup so win win happy with them!

Going to have the Michelin PE2s fitted this week as a mates buying the Paradas off me, there a REALLY good road tyre in the dry but terrible in the wet!

Car ticked over 170,000 mixed km and m.. Still going strong!

JDM Dc2
They're not bad tom!

Michelin PE2s fitted -

image_zps71681b7a.jpg

Only done 60 or so miles normal driving on them so not proper bedded in yet but they already feel awesome

Few fresh pics

image_zpsfd76e812.jpg

image_zps33debbf5.jpg

image_zpse5ea1156.jpg

image_zps1e233ccd.jpg

JDM Dc2
Yeah they're awesome! Cheers

I've ordered a spoiler from the states so to suit that I've had to drop the ride height a tad...
I was thinking of dropping it 10mm all round but it turns out it was only 7mm from all the way down on the fronts even with 20mm of thread showing -
image_zps2792d8e1.jpg

.. The coilovers have hit the bottom of the body/it won't wind in anymore if you get me.. Im not too fussed but i just find it weird that there's still 20mm of threads showing when there's 0 preload on the springs
So the ride heights now like this, think it's perfect anyways tbh -
image_zps4e88e9cd.jpg

Also fitted the c pillar brace ready for oulton in a couple of weeks -
image_zps56f262a1.jpg

I thought it would affect the head room in the back but it doesn't so it'll be staying in permanently

JDM Dc2
So, fitted new track rod ends and been back to blink Motorsport to have the alignment done again since lowering it, have -3 camber on the front, 0.02 toe in overall.. -1.75 camber on the rear and 0.06 toe in
About 5 weeks ago I ordered a mugen replica wing from the states, arrived last week..

image_zpsf336af69.jpg

Sanded, primered, sanded painted then lacquered -
image_zpse893f6a6.jpg

Pic of the car without the own wing on, looks so American haha -
image_zps426c3275.jpg

New wing fitted -
image_zpsee3085b5.jpg

image_zpsd31c3359.jpg

image_zpse3e8f92e.jpg

image_zps73b990be.jpg

Love it think it looks proper aggressive with the wing, wheels and lowered ride height!
Cars all packed and video camera charged ready for Oulton Park tomorrow!!

Last edited:
  JDM Dc2
Well Oulton Park was ace as usual even with how wet it was! With there being no standing water at the start of the day I put my R888s on safe to say I was struggling massively with grip even after faffing with pressures and dampers.. So for the 3rd session I threw on my Michelin Pe2s, set them to 30psi, damper setting 6/36 front 14/36 rears and it felt literally perfect I was amazed how much grip I had from bloody road tyres, I don't remember having to move over for a quicker lapping car!

Here's the best session on video -

Pics to come

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks awesome bar the spoiler. Great cars though a mate of mine is on his 3rd one now fitted with a rotrex'd dc5 engine, goes like stink. I had the ATR not too long ago also a very good car, not much between them tbh

mk1 Octavia VRS
Sweet! Goes really well on the PE2s, wonder how they'd compare to AD08Rs in those conditions?

Might have to look for another DC2 when I sell my Clio...

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Thanks for the passenger laps Jamie, we were really flying on those PE2's!

Couldn't believe how much grip there was :eek:penmouth:

I've got a couple of pics of you coming down the pit straight which i'll put up soon.

JDM Dc2
Yeah the PE2s are just ace! Did help that they were only like 6 weeks old though I guess! The car just felt perfect!

I doubt Ad08s would've been better a mate was running NS2rs and was struggling!

I've ordered some HEL braided hoses and a new clutch master cylinder!

Needs a service too will have to order some Millers!

JDM Dc2
Few oversteer and tripodding pics from the Oulton park trackday -

image_zpscd8b7d49.jpg

image_zpsf2badfc0.jpg

image_zpsef43d1c0.jpg

image_zpsc54685a2.jpg

image_zps38e42680.jpg

image_zpsba1c5ac6.jpg

image_zpsdbb52a43.jpg

image_zps023c5da1.jpg

Had a mystery oil leak from the trackday, after changing the rocker cover gasket it's sorted it!
image_zps8d7874db.jpg

Changed the brake hoses for some HEL braided ones -
image_zps6b6341c6.jpg

image_zps69622659.jpg

All bled up but both front nipples are leaking ever so slightly, wasn't happy with them when I replaced them back in May but they never leaked so I left them but now I've ordered some more to try!

Also of it wasn't for these dark nights if be trying to source the boot leak I have but that'll have to wait!

New clutch master cylinders on the way!

Serviced it again sticking with the same millers cfs 10w40!

JDM Dc2
Had quite abit of trouble with it the past 3 weeks or so with bloody leaks!!!.. In two forms one being water leaking in and causing it to condensate like mad literally huge drops of water over all the windows and headlining... Common faults which I've fixed are bootlid hinges, they were fine had to remove the bootlid to check them, refitted with help of silicone here n there... Rear light seals leaking slightly so took them all off dried them out and refitted then with help of silicone... Windscreen hard plastic seals that run up the sides of the screen, repaired by removing the hard plastic strips and using black silicone... Still leaking after further inspection not from the rain from but through the drivers side footwell only *argh!!*... Rear arches leaking in at the bottom where the inner arch meets the rear quarter , terrible design but dried and silicones them Up... Interiors looking like this whilst everything's drying out -

image_zpsf72d7625.jpg

Moving on... The other leak was from the threads on the bleed nipples, after trying 3 sets and still leaking I bought some new rebuilt calipers from euro car parts, fitted along with a new set of DS2500 pads -

image_zps8d1a36f6.jpg

Need painting I know but I couldn't give a toss ATM I just want a working leak free car aha

Brakes dont feel any better than before with the original brake hoses.. May look at upgrading the master cylinder at some stage

Old pads all evenly worn with 4-5mm left after ~18months use and 3 trackdays -

image_zps103c197a.jpg

JDM Dc2
So, rear interiors still out for now as I still need to attend to a leak on the back of the OSR rear arch quarter in the boot side waters still getting in ever so slightly from the spray off the road

I've had the rear bumper off and under sealed all the rear

Had some Krust stuff on all the surface rust on the inside and smooth hammerited over it all

I've had a very slight what feels like intermittent wobble under braking so I've got a new pair of discs along with new rear camber arms as the inside bush shat the bed on the skunk2 ones -

20150116_144407_zpsfdee8211.jpg

removed the discs after having to nip to B&Q for some new drill bits to drill out the grub screws I found this -

20150117_155109_zpsdfbb6816.jpg

haha so hopefully that'll explain the slight wobble, yet to test it with all the slush and salt on the roads!

Changed the rear camber arms and noticed my rear trailing arm bushes need attending too so I'm just going to get a decent pair of arms from the breakers with some good bushes in them

JDM Dc2
Got a pair of rear trailing arms from the breakers and stripped them down, got a pair of brand new genuine bushes too so burnt the old ones out ready to have new ones pressed in tomorrow

20150121_154114_zps5ceb6163.jpg

New genuine bushes pressed in -

20150122_160210_zps007eafd4.jpg

then today I swapped them over taken 90mins per side -

20150124_103317_zps6cf1fa43.jpg

Only one bolt sheared off luckily it was only the handbrake cable clip all the bolts came out reasonably sweet all copper greased back in

old bushes have seen better days aha -

20150124_132105_zps39fef487.jpg

JDM Dc2
Went on a rolling road day couple of weeks ago (at EFI Parts, the place I always go as Chris/Scoff is tip top) and the car was 10 bhp & 10lbs ft down on last time almost right across the rev range and the afr had richened a tad right across the revs hmm

The only things I've change is the manifold from the 4-1 japspeed to the 5zigen Jasma 4-2-1, bypassed the small coolant line that runs through the throttle body, fitted the catch tank and changed the distributor, cap and arm and spark plugs...

I thought surely it can't be down to the manifold so I went back again yesterday with some new NGK Iridium plugs, fitted them then checked the timing... It was 16 degrees which is exactly as it should be, so we ran the car up and it was still a good 9-10bhp down so we thought advance the timing abit as that's what the distributor could've been before so we set it to 20 degrees then ran it up again and it didn't change at all apart from an extra 5lbft at like 3-4k... strange

So we've put the timing back to how it was and I've been left head scratching, next thing I'm going to try is going back to running tesco 99 fuel all the time and the next rolling road day I'll throw it on again cos the time it made 200bhp like 12 months ago I ALWAYS ran it on 99 octane and ive not used it for ages now so we'll see it doesn't feel down on power especially after fitting the iridiums they've certainly seemed to perk it up a little more

Oulton Park trackday Saturday!