ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rocker cover gasket leak?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I should have taken a picture of it before creating this thread - but is the rocker cover gasket easy enough to replace on a 182?

I did the natural thing first - just nipped up the bolts to make sure none were loose without over-tightening them, not that any of them seemed slack to begin with.

I just have a blackened area at the top of what would be the first cylinder on the left looking at the engine, front on. Probably best to wait for the photo to be added when my wife gets back with the car tonight. - lol. :p

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
No, it's a cambelt job mate.

The cover holds the cams in.

It's a liquid gasket too, not a physical rubber seal.

First cylinder on the left would be no.4. Potentially it could be the dephaser solenoid seal, which is easy enough to do.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No, it's a cambelt job mate.

The cover holds the cams in.

It's a liquid gasket too, not a physical rubber seal.

First cylinder on the left would be no.4. Potentially it could be the dephaser solenoid seal, which is easy enough to do.
Ah - nice one - thanks for that.

As mentioned - I'll get some photos tonight - see if those help. Should there be any areas around it that I should pay particular attention to?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Ah - nice one - thanks for that.

As mentioned - I'll get some photos tonight - see if those help. Should there be any areas around it that I should pay particular attention to?

It can leak from the actual solenoid seal which is next to the oil filler.

Or it could be any of the bolts really.

If it's just the odd bolt leaking, you can remove it and put a bit of silicone under the head and nip it back up.

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
If it’s on top at that end it will almost certainly be the solenoid seal. Easy job and about £5 on eBay.
Definitely try that first because the alternative is a much bigger job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry all - me being stupid. I didn't realise that the inlet manifold gasket section was physically separate from the rocker cover behind it - and not an all-in-one cast.

So, it's not a rocker cover gasket issue!

Does it appear to be a straight-forward plenum-off and intake manifold gasket replacement? Or am I making something out of nothing here? ;)

It's probably more obvious in the second picture when the compared to how clean the other three are.

1667378552045.png

1667378580488.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Do you still have the plastic guard next to the radiator?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you tried cleaning the area down to try and identify what's causing it?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No idea what that's off.

Can't imagine it being an inlet gasket leak, otherwise you'd have a high idle.

Cheers - well it's not a leak then as it idles and pulls fine. That's one thing to tick off.

Do you still have the plastic guard next to the radiator?

Not sure actually - I'll have to take a look. Thinking it might be fouling something?

Have you tried cleaning the area down to try and identify what's causing it?

Probably the most easiest thing I could do, I guess? Clean it up and see if it returns? Might try that at the weekend - cheers.

Looking at the 2nd picture again, it's almost as if something is (or has) splashed upwards from around there. Like there's muck seen higher up, spread across the 1st and 2nd chambers too.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Not sure actually - I'll have to take a look. Thinking it might be fouling something?

Road grime will find its way in wherever it can, so if there’s anything missing it’s worth a look.