ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roll Cage or Suspension ?

What's the rest of the car like spec wise?
It's still a work in progress car and most of this list is a "plan" but engine will be standard apart from an air filter and its got a Miltek exhaust already. I will be de-catting it.
Completely stripped interior.
Polycarb windows.
Gearbox is standard with the view to stick a LSD eventually (funds pending).
Will be getting a PMS short shifter.
Converted to EPAS with a DCI rack.
Bushes will be all powerflex black series.
ABS removed and new copper hard lines fitted with rear bias valve. Flexi hoses. Brakes will standard but uprated standard bits (Disc's and pads)
Planning on getting some TD Pro Race 1.2 with R888's.
Rear ARB

I think that's all for now

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I would normally be saying cage over suspension but with the way regs change (assuming you plan on doing more than just track days) then do suspension first

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Ive done a full suspension refresh with OE bits and cup dampers/cooksports/pms mounts and brace, and a cage. Really noticed the improvement with the rigidity of the car after the cage, I am looking for some coilies in the future though.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Personally I wouldn't bother with a cage again. I'd just go with suspension, but I'd consider a rear cage. Clios are already fairly rigid as they are imo.

That's not to say a cage won't improve on that or keep you safe in the event of an accident though!

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
My arguement is that you need a cage for harnesses and buckets, those (along with ad08r tyres) are the best improvements I have made to driveability, but I wouldnt run harnesses without a cage again.

I've chosen cage before suspension as you cant really put a price on safety, mine is only a rear cage but a good one being made for the previous MSV track cars which bolts directly into the existing seatbelt mounts front and rear, plus couldn't have a full cage as its a road car as well. Clio is pretty good out the box suspension wise as long as the components are fairly fresh, maybe cage and lowering springs for now?

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Thanks for the replies so far. My cup suspension is on 94k so I'm not using it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Very cheap to replace though, think you could do it all for sub £200.00

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I wonder about cages, and imagine they just give you a real sense of security. How many are actually put to the test.
Maybe not have one, and drive just a tadge slower? Expect its not that easy

Cage end of the list. Decent tyres then brakes and suspension near top

Do you use the car on the road alot ?

Cages are fine at keeping a car intact in a big shunt but also ok if padded and the head the hits it is wearing a helmet

Full cage in road car , always think about what your head can impact even in a minor shunt

If a road car half cages are actually safer but few consider head to cage impacts

They KILL !

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Do you use the car on the road alot ?

Cages are fine at keeping a car intact in a big shunt but also ok if padded and the head the hits it is wearing a helmet

Full cage in road car , always think about what your head can impact even in a minor shunt

If a road car half cages are actually safer but few consider head to cage impacts

They KILL !
And this is the reason why I wouldn't have another full cage. I used my car to get to and from tracks

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Get a cage and just replace the shocks and get some cooksport spings, that is what I use and they are fantastic for the money people have even commented on how good they are when I have taken them out and they are running AST's.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I had the same conundrum recently for the Megane.

8faf3428094cbfb5014f15df0ad5c754.jpg

Only took 3 and a bit weeks to show up as well

Get a cage and just replace the shocks and get some cooksport spings, that is what I use and they are fantastic for the money people have even commented on how good they are when I have taken them out and they are running AST's.
Cooksport are fine for a road car (granted slightly harsh)

Way too soft for track only , unless it's for your mum [emoji12]

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Cooksport are fine for a road car (granted slightly harsh)

Way too soft for track only , unless it's for your mum [emoji12]

Nothing wrong with mine only driven on the road to and from track, and they seem much better than some other cars I have been in with coilovers and about £1500 cheaper than AST's.
All depends on what you want and if you are loaded, if you are trying to get the last 1 second out of the car fine but I just go on track for fun.

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
1. Make it handle better
2. Make it stop better
3. Make it go quicker
4. Make if safer
Unless competing then
1. Make it safer
2. Make is stop better
3. Make it handle better
4. Make it go quicker
Unless you win the lottery then buy a Cayman GT4 clubsport :smile:

No a cost thing at all , it's how soft they are , and honestly nothing about bragging rights or anything .
Obviously they are better than some 400 quid coilovers off eBay.

Suspension setup is something I have spent years understanding.

With all respect if you have driven to a track on them you won't have any idea what they are like on track

They are too soft and certainly so for a track only car

If you wanted a fast road compromise with starter track use sure it's a start but please saying they are good on track is misleading

Try yours on track and your opinion my change

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
It is a track car I have done more miles on track than the road, the only road miles are to the track for a track day (have to drive it as I don't have a trailer or car that can tow) and as I say they are fine, agree not as good as AST's but AST's will not be as good as Reiger 3 way adjustable and on it goes all I am saying is they are better than most springs and better than cheap coilovers and if you can't afford everything all together they are good.
Have a look http://www.cliosport.net/threads/my-bg-182-track-car-build.725592/

I misunderstood your comment "only driving to and from track"

However my opinion on how soft cooksport are still stands

I think a good track option at a lower cost than ast and up (and having played with 3 way ohlins few people outside of pro Motorsport need or can set up correctly )

Bilstein B14 with stiffer more track orientated spring rates would be a great track setup on a budget

Updated arb another excellent upgrade plus adding a rear bar but they will need setting up .

Yes cooksport are better than standard and I certainly agree better than poorly valved cheap coilovers .

Whilst if forced to race on a soft setup you can drive round it I found cooksport soft and frustrating in weight transition.

In the wet they would perform well .

Last edited: