ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saxo VTS as a track car

Fiesta ST Stage 3
So after going to the ring last year and going for the rent for ring Swift sport I have just booked up to go again on the 07/08/17 to the 14/08/17 but not wanting to take the Fiesta ST round the track the GF and me will be getting a car for track days / ring trips .

Plan is to be around £ 2000 max and to be std to do up a bit or already done up for some track work .

Looking at all different options but the Saxo VTS ticks a lot of boxes for small ,light , cheep , tuning parts .

Does this sound like a good plan or is there others I should be looking at .

Alan

330i. E30 Touring.
VTS' are too expensive now mate. Most will either have rotted away, or be sheds.

172 is the best option at the minute.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
They work as Track cars if you get the right one...

IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0360.JPG

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Fun yes, speed no unless turbo etc

I know you or whoever will say yeah but there more fun, they handle like a sports car blah blah blah. But they are slow.

Awaits the mx5 vs clio video on track and the latter getting owned.

Disclaimer. I do like the mx5 and did consider one to mess about in. Kept the clio.

Listerine & Poledo
Fun yes, speed no unless turbo etc

I know you or whoever will say yeah but there more fun, they handle like a sports car blah blah blah. But they are slow.

Awaits the mx5 vs clio video on track and the latter getting owned.

Disclaimer. I do like the mx5 and did consider one to mess about in. Kept the clio.

A 150hp MX5 is just as quick as a 170hp clio, or a 120hp saxo, until you're pushing down the latter half of Conrod Straight, and where are the cheap options to speed up the clio and Saxo?

Of course, if your idea of "an MX5" is a 1.6 with peado headlights and a welded diff, then you're missing out :)

However, sprint-trial guys with blown VTEC caterhams and such have said that the best starting point in tracking (especially competitive tracking) is the Mazda. I didn't prompt them either, I just asked what would be a good car to start with.

ANYWAY! each to their own. And you can't deny that having a saxo/clio gives you more room to store all your track clobber en route, making them practical, trackable vans. And I do like a good clio

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I have a lot of time for the Saxo VTS, I think they're awesome. The trouble would be finding a good one I think. It would be much easier to find a good Clio than to find a good VTS, so that would sway me I think.

As for the MX-5....they're mobile chicanes, so no thanks. I have never come across one that can live with a Clio on track. Even on road tyres, my boggo 172 Cup has the measure of an MX-5 on R888s. And, if you're planning on going to the 'ring, the 172 is also better because you can actually put people and things in it. The MX-5 is a good car if you're into that sort of thing, but from a performance perspective, it isn't even in the same league in my experience.

I am a big fan of the Puma also. It won't match a Clio for space, but they can be bought for absolute peanuts and the steering and gear shift is even better than the Clio. Just rust badly, lack a bit of power and there are fewer modifying parts available. A friend of mine bought a 50k minter for £300 though and it is a riot.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Clio. Or an MR2 (Mk3). Not as fast as a Clio in a straight line. Neither are cheap to improve straight line performance, but you bought the wrong car if you just want to go fast down the straights.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I would say the VTS is a very good contender, but as people have mentioned, Clio hands down.
In standard form the VTS are incredibly bad. Handling is okay at best, acceleration wise a standard 1*2 will leave it on the straights. Throw some simple mods on it, and remove excess weight and you're in a completely different league. Mines around 860KG's and is about on par with a 1*2 up to around 80Mph, then I'll get left. I'm running a Bilstein/Gaz GHA suspension combination, with a lowered axle to 40mm, AD08R's, 421 manifold, Saxsport exhaust, lightened pulleys and catcam 743's and is has completely transformed the car.

But, if I were to do it again, it would be in a 1*2. Strip it, chuck some Cooksports/Semi slicks on and you'll be in front of me without a doubt.

Listerine & Poledo
Probably also worth bearing in mind things like the price of parts. Standard and upgrade.
And the labour costs / effort required to do them.

A Saxo may be easier to work on with cheaper consumables. Equally, a Clio may cost more for a new clutch, for example.

Also, this is a track day car, not a race car, yeah? Then it could just as easily be a Corsa 12v with airbags and full aero, the laptimes aren't relevant

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Probably also worth bearing in mind things like the price of parts. Standard and upgrade.
And the labour costs / effort required to do them.

A Saxo may be easier to work on with cheaper consumables. Equally, a Clio may cost more for a new clutch, for example.

Also, this is a track day car, not a race car, yeah? Then it could just as easily be a Corsa 12v with airbags and full aero, the laptimes aren't relevant

Correct im not after anything super quick ( the GF will be driving too ) just a good small cheep thing that handles ok and parts are cheep .

Alan

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
That looks great.. must have been pricey?

VTS wheels have to be one of the best looking standard alloys!

Listerine & Poledo
That's too good to ruin.

Pull a Brewer, sell it for £300 profit and get a different one that's already sheddy :smile:

:up::up::up:

Fiesta ST Stage 3
That looks great.. must have been pricey?

VTS wheels have to be one of the best looking standard alloys!

£ 1100 and lots of S/H

Tidy :smile:

It is

That's too good to ruin.

Pull a Brewer, sell it for £300 profit and get a different one that's already sheddy :smile:

:up::up::up:

Its going to the ring and will be played about with so as good as it is and could make me money if I just store it that is not going to happen :)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Got some plans but with regards to shocks ( B8 Bilstein ) what are the best springs to match them with ?

Alan

172 cup
Love them mate it's a stunner for that money #bargain , brilliant little cars alway wanted one but I went the 106gti route as every man and his dog had one round hear sure the dealers were doing them on mega cheap finance with free insurance for the first year so everyone had one so I had a 106 gti getting rare now

Firstly, well done for actually managing to find a Saxo VTS - they seem to be like rocking horse poo nowadays. Looks very tidy!

Just wanted to give a bit of an input on the MX5 thing. They are SLOW. A 106/VTS would be much easier/cheaper to make much quicker having owned both - so good shout!
Here's my 151hp MK1 MX5 just about catching a (seemingly standard) 172 Cup after many, many prior laps of slowly gaining. And I reckon if the 172 had a more confident driver it would have left me for dead. (Yes it takes all 4:03 to catch him)

I'm not claiming to be any sort of fast driver either BTW, that's only my third ever track-day.. A driver with a bigger pair of stones would clearly be quicker.