ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SCARY! Window wipers stopped working during thunder storm on motorway!!!

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
Was driving home from work today in the pouring rain with the wipers on full speed using the auto mode, they jus stopped so i moved the stalk down to manually switch them on and there was nothing, i could hear the click of the switch engaging but no motors moved and hence no front wipers! I finally decided to pull in to the hard shoulder and switch the car off, tried switching it on again and still no wipers, i did this a few times and it didnt work untill about 5 mins later. They are working now but i wont be using the clio in the rain untill it gets sorted so it sounds like i will be using my dads vectra for the week with what the weather forecasts say!

Anyone ever had this problem before?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
Thats odd!

Perhaps the auto wiper system was playing up and confused the UCH, making them not work at all.

Just a guess.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
yea this happend to me, i went threw a puddle and they just stopped, i could smell a burning smell so i stopped and thought, bugger, they started working after 5 minutes tho and have worked fine since (about 2 months ago)

Well i was in the vectra all night and sure enough, no rain, the wipers seem to work now but im not risking it, provided there is no rain tomorrow the car is going in to renault and is not leaving till they can gaurentee me there is nothing wrong!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
dodgy relay probably. get it replaced. Failing that the motors might over over heated and temp stopped working but this is unlikely.

Had major of all major rows with renault when the told me they have to "diagnose" the problem, i think i diagnosed it myself, the wipers stopped working!!! Why do i have to pay stupid money for them to get a computer to tell me that?

Lol

Mondeo TDCI 130
^well no you didnt did you...........you told them the wipers stopped working, there not miracle workers! it could be the switch, motor, uch... using clip it doesnt just pop up and say what the problem is! things have to be tested etc!

I no but i was in a mood and threw a lil hissy fit, after being told labour was £65 per hour i nearly died!

It may well be but the cars only 2 weeks out of its warranty and my sunroof and wipers r both playin up, and im a skint 18 yr old!

visualize whirled pe
This happened to me once and it really does get pretty scary, esp when you pass a lorry.

I found that if I use wax on my windscreen any speed above 60mph seems to clear the rain without the need for wipers or rain x.

Clio 182
Driving blind ain't good!!

I find the auto headlights useful but the auto wiper function really p*sses me off! Half the time it's going like the clappers when it's spitting then when it rains harder is slows down, crappy french attempt at being too clever!

I'd much rather have a variable intermittent setting tbh.

tiTTy & SV650
auto wipers are gash, mine did this in spray of a lorry on a single carriageway, had to stop start the engine to reset it whilst in very poor visibility.

ST
Manual wipers FTW Ingram...manual lights too..headlights always set to on..always roll wi the HID's blazin..