ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sh....t handling :(

172 cup
I have bought a cat d write off 172 cup and the handling is awful! I've had the tracking done and found it's miles out, got the front sorted but noticed the back right wheel is still .4 degree out(that's where it got hit before:( and .4 is A LOT) Is there anyway this can get sorted without replacing the rear axle? Can it be straightened? That's assuming that it is the reae axle and there isn't something else that could put the tracking out that far? I've heard torsion bars on these are a pain on the arse. Any help is greatly appreciated.....i did not buy this car to drive it slowly!!! Thanks

www.renparts.co.uk
depends wether its the axle or the stub axle, ive usually found on salvage ones (i repair salvage for my job) its the axle iteslf. not a major ballache to change thought tbh.

BMW M135i
Not a major thing to change a rear axle just 4 bolts really and the brake lines. Then swap calipers over etc, no abs/xenon adjuster to worry about on a cup so that makes it simpler. Its just getting hold of one.

RenaultSport 172.
not torsion bars on mk2's mate.

should be able to replace the rear axel on a 172 from a breakers for about a ton?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Should be able to fit it yourself, i did it with a friend, and i'm no mechanic!!! I just watched the guy at the breakers take it off (corsa) and then put it in my car, took it back to his and put put it on with him!

172 cup
ok cheers guys. I'm capable of doing the job myself but want to know that the only thing that could be putting the tracking out so far is the rear axle. Are there any ways of checking that it's not the mounts that have been moved as well? Or can the axle be straightened? Wish i could just smack itr with a sledge hammer lol
eould it be worth taking down renault tolook at and confirm? (which they'll probably charge a couple hundred to do)

www.renparts.co.uk
you can fit a non RS rear Beam, the ARB is just a bit thinner, its no different in the real world. Best bet is get your stub axle off first and see if its bent. then set about doing the beam.

172 cup
would i be able to see if it's .4 degrees out though?! I am hoping to do track days with it so want everything 100%, even thinking about the h&r sus set up and getting that done by mark fish(some time in a couple months) but obviously no point if i can't turn left without the car trying to flip!!!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
0.4deg isn't much at all! Not enough to make the handling "s**t" Is it Positive or Neg?

I'd say it's something else...

For the time bein i'd fire on some RS shims and see if that sorts it!

Trophy #473
i got a non RS axle when i bent mine, fitted all the rs parts and a new stub axle, cheers joshydee. on the road, noticed sweet FA and I drive my car very hard.

172 cup
From what the guy who did the tracking said .4 is a hell of a lot and he wasn't trying to sell anything because they don't fix it there! I'll load a picture of the tracking results when i get some time, i can't remember if it's positive or negative