ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SKY Q

Sky Q is due to launch early 2016. It looks to replace its current offering, allowing multi room (without each room requiring dish connectivity), 5 channel viewing and WiFi streaming to other rooms.

Prices aren't released yet, but it'll include a 2TB box and be UHD Ready.

The fact it's UHD ready, means finally, we won't be limited to 720p - the biggest downfall of the current offering IMO. The new OS looks pretty nice too.

I have SKY, so this is a welcomed update.

60518243ac808294e4aca8b6783e1347.jpg

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-q/overview

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...t-you-need-to-know-about-Skys-new-TV-box.html

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/first-impression-sky-q-1309224

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34855857

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm excited! I don't know why yet but I am!

Sadly my renewal is up this moth so probably won't upgrade until next December.

I'm excited! I don't know why yet but I am!

Sadly my renewal is up this moth so probably won't upgrade until next December.
Do you have to renew? Mine is up in January, but I assumed I could hold off, and it'll just roll over monthly.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm £25 a month every 12 months for the full package. I could go rolling for a few months but might be may before it rolls out!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
£25 a month for the full package?
Are you offering special sucky sucky for that price?
I pay £57 for internet, line rental and variety bundle.

172 Turbo
I just cancel at the end of the 12 months. Pretend I'm leaving and they'll make an offer either via the MySky website, on the phone or by outbound calls. You need to have agreed to Sky Marketing for them to call you. This year it was 50% off and £50 cashback.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I'm about to move house.

I wonder, if I cancel, and sign up at the new address as a new customer, will I get new customer benefits?

2014 Clio 200t edc
It depends how much it is really. I am excited but as with anything new it will probably be expensive to start with, and knowing sky regardless of new or existing customer you'll get stung. :(

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
"SkyQ turns your TV into a photo gallery..."
Huge demand for that, is there?
Will this new box take me to the TV Guide when I press 'TV Guide' on the remote?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good. Finally a decent update.

You can download all on demand shows and films to iPad to watch offline too.

Cost will be interesting.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I downloaded a pile of movies through Sky Go to watch on my iPad on the plane to Mexico. Works well.

Looks good, but no doubt it will be an extra £10 PM for 4k, £10 for the smaller Q box, and £5 for some other random thing they can think of an excuse for. I'm at the end of my contract around then, so I'll see if they can offer me something.

The Sky go extra thing does allow you to download offline content, but is £5 extra PM.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Prices have now been released.

Anybody getting it? I'm still in a 50% off contract so may wait until this finishes before I upgrade.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Yeah, don't want/need their bb, getting 200mb fitted this weekend so I'd just be after the TV packages.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Is there actually any real difference between 40Mb & 80Mb? My mate has a 200Mb line and he still gets buffering every now and then.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Fair play. We've got 2 mobiles, 1 laptop, a Surface, an iPad, PS3, PS4 and smart TV all connected on 37Mb/s and it's fine... but tbh, the only thing that ever seems to get hit by slowdown is the iPad :persevere:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play. We've got 2 mobiles, 1 laptop, a Surface, an iPad, PS3, PS4 and smart TV all connected on 37Mb/s and it's fine... but tbh, the only thing that ever seems to get hit by slowdown is the iPad :persevere:
Yeah depends more on how many people live there. There's 5 of us and we are all heavy users of it so it can really bog

As I thought, too expensive. If I click upgrade on my account its an extra £25 a month. Not worth it for a fancy box with some features I'll probably never use after the first week. The additional box would be beneficial, but I manage without one at the minute. Oh and there's an initial £99 'smart features fee' and £50 installation. It's free for new customers though.. They haven't released 4k yet either, probably an additional charge for that once its active.

I'm due for renewal in a few months so I'll see if I can haggle then, probably won't bother though.

SQ5
So all this is is a different box, different GUI and easier to get multi room but then that's more a month too?!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
So all this is is a different box, different GUI and easier to get multi room but then that's more a month too?!
Essentially yeah but anything you record can be watched on any box and started from where you left off. Plus the extra boxes don't appear to need running from the dish.

Also with their hub (router) it turns the sky boxes into WiFi extenders.