ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SKY Q

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is there a way to add favourite channels on this..? There's so many of them, it takes me ages to scroll looking for the usual lot I watch amongst the shite on there.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Has anyone tried to redeem their sky gift that was sent out by email a few weeks ago. We did ours and found the movies only play on your tablets or phones. Not on your TV. Just a quick heads up, if you ring sky and tell them about the problem they credit your account directly and remove the voucher allowing you to watch films from sky store.
Took us a while but I thought i'd share.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone tried to redeem their sky gift that was sent out by email a few weeks ago. We did ours and found the movies only play on your tablets or phones. Not on your TV. Just a quick heads up, if you ring sky and tell them about the problem they credit your account directly and remove the voucher allowing you to watch films from sky store.
Took us a while but I thought i'd share.
I got mine no problem. Was in the "Purchased" tab, not the main screen of the Planner. Still waiting on the DVD, though!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
If you looked you can split it. We just decided to have a few rentals. We don't see any point in buy and keep for us anyway.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Had Sky Q installed a couple of weeks ago. So far so good.

Except.......I keep getting a message up on the menu screen whenever I press home saying 'You are experiencing broadband connectivity issues. Go to settings, set up, network'.

My internet is fine, it has a tick in the box for network, and I am able to download HD movies fine on it, On Demand working perfectly etc. Some of the graphics for films and TV programmes on On Demand are just blue boxes too.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas what it could be? It is more of an annoyance than anything as everything is working fine. I am running a WIFI set up with non Sky fibre.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you connected it through wireless?
Could just be getting abit of fluctuation in the signal strength that is sending the box into a spazz??

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
It is wireless.

Doing some research on the interweb it appears that a lot of people have been having this issue, but most posts are from April-November last year.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Hardwire it in, if you don't wanna run a network cable then get powerline adapters

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Did you resolve your issues with the connection?

I've had a nightmare with my sky fibre recently.
Constantly dripping wifi signal and this evening it's struggles to download a 25 minute TV show from iPlayer.

When I select on demand, I don't get any iPlayer,ITV player etc unless I reset the router connection. It then works for a few minutes then drops out.
This afternoon I had absolutely no issues with it dropping out on the TV but my phone was constantly dropping WiFi. My laptop too.

Now I'm getting extremely slow internet after I've hard wired the Q box to power line adapters and set the box up as a WiFi extender.

Sky router too btw.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Did you resolve your issues with the connection?

I've had a nightmare with my sky fibre recently.
Constantly dripping wifi signal and this evening it's struggles to download a 25 minute TV show from iPlayer.

When I select on demand, I don't get any iPlayer,ITV player etc unless I reset the router connection. It then works for a few minutes then drops out.
This afternoon I had absolutely no issues with it dropping out on the TV but my phone was constantly dropping WiFi. My laptop too.

Now I'm getting extremely slow internet after I've hard wired the Q box to power line adapters and set the box up as a WiFi extender.

Sky router too btw.
Nope not yet.

I was having some issues with my Xbox Live connection (everything else is fine - phone/iPad/laptop for internet) so I did some troubleshooting and turned my UPnP off and back on again in my router settings. This solved the Sky Q issue for that evening, but then it has gone back to how it was ever since.

I'm going to try and hardwire it tonight, but when I tried that before I was having some issues with the Mini box. Failing that I will ring Sky but I've been waiting for a clear evening as I don't want to be on the phone all night.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I reset my router again last night and changed from wired (to adapter's) to wireless.
I instantly had quicker internet and it was hardly dropping wifi from the phone and laptop. Downloads were working fine and I was actually able to watch on demand.

Not had any issues with the ps4 though.

I expect it to turn to s**t again tonight though.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
Just rung Sky and they said that my issue is a known issue which they've been working on for a while. As I can download movies and programmes fine it is more of a frustration of the error message coming up even though there is nothing wrong with my connection.

A waiting game now....

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I had a hell of a lot of problems with ours in the weeks after we moved in, in my experience you can't use the system in any other way than wireless without it getting upset, even using an alternative wireless router it s***s the bed. It has be wireless and it has to be using the Sky wireless as Sky intend otherwise you will have problems. After resetting the Sky Q hub back to factory settings, having a Sky Q booster installed and a replacement main Q box (the hdd failed altogether in the first one) the system is finally stable and working. My only disappointment these days is only having 50-55mb internet on the 80mb deal (Virgin was 220mb on the 200mb deal).

SQ5
I had a hell of a lot of problems with ours in the weeks after we moved in, in my experience you can't use the system in any other way than wireless without it getting upset, even using an alternative wireless router it s***s the bed. It has be wireless and it has to be using the Sky wireless as Sky intend otherwise you will have problems. After resetting the Sky Q hub back to factory settings, having a Sky Q booster installed and a replacement main Q box (the hdd failed altogether in the first one) the system is finally stable and working. My only disappointment these days is only having 50-55mb internet on the 80mb deal (Virgin was 220mb on the 200mb deal).

Hard wired is the best way, you just need to turn wireless off otherwise it will try to use wireless.

Highlight settings then press 0, 0, 1, select.

Then turn off 5 and 2.4 ghz wireless and make sure Ethernet is on.

We have no problems when hardwiring.

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Will they EVER fix the sky mini box? I have to restart it every day 😧

I have to reboot my mini box nearly every day due to connection issue. I got a BT Homehub 6. I phoned sky and they told me to try partitioning the router and connecting to the 5Ghz side.

Is this a good thing to do? I wouldn't have a clue how to even if it is.
They implied that if I had Sky fibre I wouldn't have these issues. I seem to think that is a load of bull?

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Thought that was probably the case. Engineer appointment is booked for a couple of weeks time anyway. Just thought I'd ask though.

Cheers

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Have you turned off the standby/eco mode we have talked about previously? This fixed our mini problem.

We have sky broadband, and the engineer did say that if we moved away from sky we might have issues connecting to someone else's box, though I guess it's just scare tacktics, their box would be useless if it only worked with sky

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
They did another recent update and ours has been faultless since then, the only issue I have now is only getting circa 50MB on the 80MB deal. I work from home and use the connection quite intensively so need all I can get (I used to be on 220MB before we moved).

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Have you turned off the standby/eco mode we have talked about previously? This fixed our mini problem.

This is what seemed to fix ALL of the issues we were having...it's been surprisingly stable and reliable ever since.

We have sky broadband, and the engineer did say that if we moved away from sky we might have issues connecting to someone else's box, though I guess it's just scare tacktics, their box would be useless if it only worked with sky

I think this is exactly what they're doing...it's absolute BS though.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
My issue seems to have sorted itself. I don't know if there has been a software update or not, but 3 days in and we have had no 'no connectivity issue' message come up on screen and nice pretty pictures loading on Sky Cinema, Top Picks etc.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I've had no issues since changing my WiFi channel.
Wouldn't even connect using the wps button the other day, useless when wired through WiFi extenders and was unable to download anything from the store.

Since channels have been changed I've had none of the issues.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I have to reboot my mini box nearly every day due to connection issue. I got a BT Homehub 6. I phoned sky and they told me to try partitioning the router and connecting to the 5Ghz side.

Is this a good thing to do? I wouldn't have a clue how to even if it is.
They implied that if I had Sky fibre I wouldn't have these issues. I seem to think that is a load of bull?

The mini box doesn't connect to your home wifi, it connects to the Sky Q main box doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

SQ5
The mini box doesn't connect to your home wifi, it connects to the Sky Q main box doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

It can go via the router, it just needs a wifi connection. But then it's going wifi to wifi to wifi so it's a very unreliable connection

Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Had Sky technician out on Wednesday. He done a factory reset on the mini box. All good so far. He also said they have lots of issues with Sky Q and BT broadband. He recommended Virgin bb.
He even said Sky bb isn't that great. Which makes sense as Sky use BT cables.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Is the sky Go app any good? I'm away on a course next week so was going to download some stuff but I've heard mixed reviews on it, some saying you can't watch anything if you aren't on the Sky network.

SQ5
Had Sky technician out on Wednesday. He done a factory reset on the mini box. All good so far. He also said they have lots of issues with Sky Q and BT broadband. He recommended Virgin bb.
He even said Sky bb isn't that great. Which makes sense as Sky use BT cables.

While that is true, Sky use their own LLU in the BT boxes unlike any other provider that just piggy backs BT.

No broadband is better for Sky Q as it's all an internal network service (except for on demand, but internet provider would not effect that, it's either on or off)

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Anyone know how to watch on multiple TVs without buying multi room? I've read the magic eyes no longer work with the new systems?

SQ5
You need an I/o link which then creates the RF modulation to send around TV's on the analogue tuner.

Make sure you plug the I/o link in whilst box is powered down

Clio 182
Right guys bit of advice-

What do you guys pay for sky q? With variety package?

Im moving house at end of month. Currently have sky hd - in my name. Spoke to sky live chat today and said im moving but would like sky q box when i move. They said that they could do that for £40+ £12 extra per month.

Told her id just cancel as id be paying £100-150 to get sky dish installed (as its another flat and sky installation team are useless - so independent all the way) and it was going to be too expensive.

New customers get sky q box for free and the same package (variety) for £32 pm, but she wanted me to pay £40 upfront and £44 per month.

I think i can get a new customer deal if my girlfriend sets it up in her name at new address, on different account?

Should i try them again for a better deal or just cancel and take the new customer deal at £32pm? I think we'll get the mini box which is free for first additional tv, and extra £12 per month, so it will be £44 per month - but means id have it over 2 tv's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
You need an I/o link which then creates the RF modulation to send around TV's on the analogue tuner.

Make sure you plug the I/o link in whilst box is powered down

Thanks mate - I've heard that this doesn't work with the new system though. :(

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Moved my Sky Q to a wired solution as apparently the mini box in the room directly above the main box struggles to contact each other, anything Wifi related to these boxes appears to be total shite tbh, not great all, god knows how it would work in a larger house, not at all I would imagine without one of those horrible Wifi Boosters.

Also even though all of my connection issues are now sorted, both of the boxes will still randomly freeze or not come out of standby requiring me to pull the power out of back to get it working again, this happens to either box a few times a month.

Sky Q boxes are a great idea badly executed, think that sums them up quite well.

SQ5
Thanks mate - I've heard that this doesn't work with the new system though. :(

Sorry, you're using Sky Q? It can still be done ;) Just need some different equipment. I'll get a list for you later. We've done it a few times and it works well.