ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smiggy's 182 Build.

CLIO 182
Looking good @Ant_Smiggy You still up for Tuesday?
Thanks Andrew, yes mate I'm still up for Tuesday I'm looking forward to it. I'll be there nice and early I may have a problem on the Wednesday now as I'm suppose to be out driving and testing the Formula Student car just may mean ill have to come down afterwards mate

CLIO 182
Just wondered something mate, do you know matty wood and chris smith? They did their dissertation on the formula student car and probably saw you at one point?
Names kinda ring a bell mate I'm sure if I saw them Id recognise them. Especially if they did a dissertation on FS. Take it there mates of yours? Aweful with names me! Haha

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
They are the two guys to the right of me at the front here mate (Me, Chris, matty in that order)

894961_10152187079595110_249432995_o.jpg

CLIO 182
Updates are getting harder and harder to keep up with! Hate to always keep saying it but man im busy!! Plenty of new gooedies bought all in preparation of a full corner overhaul and refurb of the hubs etc..
031.JPG
So began taking advantage of the sandblasting cabinet at uni which made short work of the rusty hubs I sourced from a cup 182 (my car is still on the road)

032.JPG
Really made a good job bringing them back to life and left a superb finish prime for powder coating

033.JPG
Both front hubs done side by side, the old bearings were left in to protect the bearing surface as these are getting replaced anyway.

034.JPG
Moving onto the rear hubs and stub axles, these were really bad, so bad I decided to dremel them before sandblasting to prevent big pieces of rust blocking the cabinet up.

035.JPG
The results were fantastic

036.JPG
Onto the stub axles and in the mean time I was killing the sensors with FIRRRRREEEEEEEE!! DIEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

037.JPG
038.JPG
Again old vs new shots! Quite therapeutic sandblasting.

039.JPG
040.JPG

CLIO 182
Next up was to press the hubs and bearings out...
041.JPG
Pressed out the hub from the upright using an alloy slug to prevent any damage. Came out easily enough with a 20tonne press

043.JPG
New cup bearing (slightly larger over stock)

053.JPG
Hub released, the plonker who owned the car obviously hasn't had much experience get seized bolts out before! So these disc bolts will need to be drilled, no problemo just extra hassle really. The hubs were priced up taking this into consideration, hope they don't suffer from run out, was going to get them clocked up on a lathe but time is a b**ch.

076.JPG
Carefully dremel'd the bearing race off until it cracks free, did it with no markings made to the shaft.

079.JPG
Before and after shots.

080.JPG
Always mask off any bearing surface, as the sandblasting changes the tolerances.

081.JPG

Just need to drill out the snapped disc locating bolts, admittedly they aint really needed especially as ill be running with bolt on spacers but my OCD wasn't happy!! haha

Reactions: Gus
  CLIO 182
Quick wash, seal and a polish, my plate fell off during the great winter snow depression, think my foam pads absorbed some water and it froze off haha.
047.JPG
My car most certainly doesn't have the best paintwork bt it does clean and polish up well.

049.JPG
Love this shot from my house

050.JPG
Hmmmmm dat arch gap! Saving them cats!!

051.JPG
068.JPG

Frozen bead shot!

CLIO 182
Uprights all finished and wrapped up ready for powder coating!
070.JPG
083.JPG
084.JPG
New style GHA's from GAZ courtesy of Mr @Weeksy not sure if hes still on here anymore but what an absolute top bloke!!

085.JPG
096.JPG

097.JPG
The new iteration comes black oxide coated,rear coilover unit and spherical bearings (upon request).

098.JPG
PMS top mounts, just swapping out all the nasty plated bolted with stainless steel items.

102.JPG
Mmmmmm rose jointed drop links yummy

103.JPG
Hard to tell on the pics but the subtle differences here are plated mild steel bolts vs the high tensile stainless steel jobbies

105.JPG

Checking fitment of the PMS top mounts on the GAZ GHA dampers, no problems here.

Ford Focus ST
Project looks great mate. Car looked fantastic when I picked the cooksports up of you.
I have got some pure motorsport top mounts to go on seen some good reviews on them. Is it not illegal to have stainless screws/bolts on suspension components? I maybe incorrect but sure I herd it one time.

CLIO 182
Project looks great mate. Car looked fantastic when I picked the cooksports up of you.
I have got some pure motorsport top mounts to go on seen some good reviews on them. Is it not illegal to have stainless screws/bolts on suspension components? I maybe incorrect but sure I herd it one time.

cheers buddy! must admit im kinda gutted ive never got to see what all the hype was about with the cooksports! youll hvae to lwt me know haha! Sold them to you at a good time too by the looks as there still out of stock, should have auctioned them off haha!!

as for legality mate, cant say ive ever heard of that one before, im not using stainless bolts in high shear areas i.e. upright bolts etc or brake calipers bolts, only for aftermarket items like the PMS brace and the Track developments ARB etc

CLIO 182
To add to my previous comment @smiffyboy im using new Genuine OEM Ren bolts that have been clear zinc plated then followed with a CR+6 yellow pass and de-embrittled for 8 hours to prevent hydrogen embrittlement. Not usually a fan of yellow passed zinc but the quality is outstanding

147.JPG
Before

185.JPG
After, it was so shiny it messed up my cameras focus haha makes my red bed look pink hahaha

CLIO 182
GAZ camber bolts came out great, these were a must, due to the eccentricity washer that is welded on is unfinished mild steel, would have rust before I had chance to fit it to the car
195.JPG

CLIO 182
I also had my hubs Hot Chemically Black Oxide Coated, which is a chemical conversion coating, and unlike zinc that is merely applied to the surface Black Oxide Coating is a result of a chemical reaction between the ferrous metal and the Oxide salts, which means it doesnt increase the dimensional tolerances, so was the perfect process for my hubs i.e. for the wheel face, driveshaft spline and the bearing stub type shaft. Where as paint couldn't be applied to any of the mating surfaces.
187.JPG
188.JPG
189.JPG
190.JPG
191.JPG
192.JPG
193.JPG

The photos don't really do them justice, the finish is superb and is like glass!! Really happy with the result!!

Still waiting back on a load of powder coated goodies to come back.

Front Uprights
Rear Hubs
Stub axles
FARB
RARB and brackets

Ford Focus ST
cheers buddy! must admit im kinda gutted ive never got to see what all the hype was about with the cooksports! youll hvae to lwt me know haha! Sold them to you at a good time too by the looks as there still out of stock, should have auctioned them off haha!!

as for legality mate, cant say ive ever heard of that one before, im not using stainless bolts in high shear areas i.e. upright bolts etc or brake calipers bolts, only for aftermarket items like the PMS brace and the Track developments ARB etc

Yeah I am still to see what the hype is they are sat in my wardrobe with new shocks and dampers and all my other parts ready for nurburgring haha, Think it was the quickest I have ever bought something after it just being advertised.

You should be fine then, I am sure in high shear places you can't replace with stainless but like I say could be wrong.
The yellow passed zinc look nice and fresh, Where did you get that done if don't mind me asking ? My dads currently doing a full restore on one of his Tvr's and is wanting to do some of his bolt.
Have a nosey on this thread http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201688&page=11 Great thread of a really clean Clio sport.

CLIO 182
Yeah I am still to see what the hype is they are sat in my wardrobe with new shocks and dampers and all my other parts ready for nurburgring haha, Think it was the quickest I have ever bought something after it just being advertised.

You should be fine then, I am sure in high shear places you can't replace with stainless but like I say could be wrong.
The yellow passed zinc look nice and fresh, Where did you get that done if don't mind me asking ? My dads currently doing a full restore on one of his Tvr's and is wanting to do some of his bolt.
Have a nosey on this thread http://www.detailingworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201688&page=11 Great thread of a really clean Clio sport.
It was probably the fastest i've ever sold something too mate haha,

Im not usually a fan of the zinc stuff but they really have done an awesome job, they do come out well especially on new bolts. Got them done from a place called Moss Metal Finishing, not far from me mate give them a look up, highly recommend them!!

And if you do use them mate, say that the University of Huddersfield recommended you. They sponsor our Formula Student Team so would be could them brining in new customers from it, and they'll look after you too.

Ive got a massive collection of stuff gathering on my bedroom floor too! When the weather is good and i'
198.JPG
ve got everything I need ill be fitting it all up.

CLIO 182
Also had all my orange dash SMD's changed to white and blue along with carbon skinning my dial fascia too, purely just update the dated look a bit, I know its unnecessary bling for what will eventually be a track car, but I want to build a track car that is also a nice place to be on the inside too. Why not eh haha also painted my needles blue and bought some aluminium dial rings just to accent the carbon, next on the list will be a lockwood dial kit as the original one looks a bit lame next to all the new bits.
069.JPG
160.JPG
161.JPG
163.JPG
164.JPG
165.JPG
166.JPG
167.JPG

CLIO 182
Painted my rear brace, did have plans to weld this into my cage but but changed my mind. Also courtesy of my misses I have a new roll cage companion haha! Flat Eric FTW!! Bloody miss those adverts pahahaha

148.JPG
197.JPG

CLIO 182
Awesome update mate!

This was way over due :tongueout:
Haha I know mate, just not had the chance! Enough pictures for you haha? Still got a fair few shiny new parts coming my way so keep tuned!! Just cant bare to fit my new coilovers near anything thats old or rusty so literally replacing every bolt, nut washers bushes the full shabang!!

CLIO 182
Ooooh almost forgot shout out to @Llewellyn for sorting me out with cup hubs!! Still waiting for the uprights, rear hubs and stub axles to come back from the powder coaters but as you can probably see the black oxide hubs have come out pretty dam well! Managed to drill out the snapped disc bolts too. Cheers for help and great service mate

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Nice read !! Love this kind of stuff.

Funnily enough I have been preparing some uprights/hubs this weekend too. The ones I had were rusty as hell but rather than shot blasting I have been using DEOX C in a bucket for the last few days. The rust just falls off and you are left with shiny metal. I am yet to remove the abs sensors though and the cables have proven really handy for lifting the hubs in and out of the bucket. Are the sensors hard to remove, was hoping to tap them out with a hammer.
Here is a link for replacement abs sensors unless you have already bought some:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/front-abs-sensor.740078/#post-10648787

With the uprights, are you going to plate them before powdercoating?

What are you going to do with the drive shafts are you painting them or anything?

love the hot Chemically Black Oxide Coated hubs, definitely going to have to do that too.

You have given me loads of ideas, love this place. Have also been using this page for tips which might be interesting to you too - https://www.facebook.com/172refresh
Cheers
Gus

CLIO 182
Nice read !! Love this kind of stuff.

Funnily enough I have been preparing some uprights/hubs this weekend too. The ones I had were rusty as hell but rather than shot blasting I have been using DEOX C in a bucket for the last few days. The rust just falls off and you are left with shiny metal. I am yet to remove the abs sensors though and the cables have proven really handy for lifting the hubs in and out of the bucket. Are the sensors hard to remove, was hoping to tap them out with a hammer.
Here is a link for replacement abs sensors unless you have already bought some:
http://www.cliosport.net/threads/front-abs-sensor.740078/#post-10648787

With the uprights, are you going to plate them before powdercoating?

What are you going to do with the drive shafts are you painting them or anything?

love the hot Chemically Black Oxide Coated hubs, definitely going to have to do that too.

You have given me loads of ideas, love this place. Have also been using this page for tips which might be interesting to you too - https://www.facebook.com/172refresh
Cheers
Gus
I was planning on using the exact same method using deox c but it didn't cost me a penny to blast them at uni and they were then re blasted at the powder coaters I've taken them to as they use an even finer sand/glass bead to reduce any chances of trapped air and forming bubbles, like you see often enough on cheap powder coating.

My god mate, I started out with every intention of re using the sensors as after i blasted my hubs they were literally like brand new, but there wasn't much hope leaving them in If was to go down the powder coat route and having them in the oven at over 200 deg c

so attempted to get them out in one piece and there wasn't absolutely no hope mate, the rears was almost successful having a metal sleeve which I used to try and press them out with but ultimately their fate was inevitable and got so mad with them I got the propane torch out on the b******s!!!!! f*****s!!

As for the uprights mate the place i'm using them actually powder coats them twice, first time with a rust inhibitor and a primer combined then a final layer the colour and sometimes even does a third layer with lacquer depending on the finish, its not cheap but all good things aint, he did my turbo bandit motorbike frame in a powder coated metalic purple, he's the only place i've seen in the uk that does metallic powder.

I think for drive shafts Ill sand them back and paint them yeah, was contemplating buying spares and stripping them back to have them powder coated to as you just cant beat the durability of powder and the long lasting clean wipe-able finish you get, but obviously that's a lot more expense .

fb page looks like a good read mate cheers for that. always love a good read. Thats why im kinda glad to know this has inspired somebody like you mate! glad to know somebody is reading haha.

CLIO 182
Excellent work Ant! Great attention to detail and I really like the chemical black coating!
Keep the updates coming!

Thank you Mark! The chemical blackening is superb! It's by far my favourite thing I've done so far haha other than the White cage hehe! I took so many pics to try and capture how good they look but they really don't do them justice! It's annoying! Need an SLR in my life haha!

Hopefully should have an update of the selection of powder coated bits this week. Can't wait love powder coating!!

Renault Clio 172
Looking good Ant. This all getting fitted before Monday's weigh in? If your not careful, you'll end up sticking a number on and racing with us :)

CLIO 182
Looking good Ant. This all getting fitted before Monday's weigh in? If your not careful, you'll end up sticking a number on and racing with us :)

Sadly not mate! That was the plan! To have it all on the car for Rockingham but I just don't have the time and money to get the last few little bits together I need to get it all on in time.

Haha that's the dream Andrew! One day I hope!

FRP - Clio 182
Awesome thread mate, good work.

Getting my Cup 172 this weekend and those are the harnesses that I am after also, how much you pay for them and where from?

CLIO 182
Awesome thread mate, good work.

Getting my Cup 172 this weekend and those are the harnesses that I am after also, how much you pay for them and where from?

Cheers buddy!! :)
I bought mine from demon thieves as I can get them with a bit of discount on them. I wouldn't normally go there as the prices are usually a little high. Can't remember the exact price i paid for them in the end, think it worked out to VAT free mate. If I could pass on the savings I would do but sadly I can't buddy

CLIO 182
I'd probably recommend somewhere like JJC race and rally with the code eBay5 customer service is great there. It took me nearly 4 weeks to get my harnesses form demon tweeks!

Still flicking back and looking at your pictures :)

No recent pictures of the rear top mount setup? Or did I miss it...

Bet you're so so glad you've got a seat cover now too.

Really need to sort myself out a pair of those harnesses!! In Red though obviously :)

mwah x

CLIO 182
Still flicking back and looking at your pictures :smile:

No recent pictures of the rear top mount setup? Or did I miss it...

Bet you're so so glad you've got a seat cover now too.

Really need to sort myself out a pair of those harnesses!! In Red though obviously :smile:

mwah x

Keeping the rear top mounts close to my chest! Tehehehe nah only joking! I never got them finished in the end mate. Still need some more work on the cage to finish it all off.