ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

South Wales Workshop Services - Market Research

Clio 172
Hi Chaps,

I don't generally get too involved with South Wales, however I have a couple of ideas that I would like to put to you guys and get some feedback, this is just an idea at the moment.

SO the idea, we're thinking of buying a unit and filling it with Ramps, MOT station, Compressor, Tools, Parts Bay, Tyre Fitter etc which would then be rented for a fixed price to mechanics who want to go at it alone - however as an off shoot we've been thinking.....

For those of you out there, who enjoy working on their car, we were thinking of offering a facility for you to be able to work on your car for a fee.

So if you wanted to rent a ramp for half a day it would cost you something like £25 but you'd have use of tools, air tools, ramps etc and you could use the Parts Bay to buy service kits etc if you needed it.

We're wondering if there is a demand for enthusiasts to come and use these facilities to work on their car if they wanted to.

I've heard a place in London does this, but not South Wales.

Would this be something you'd guys use?

Cheers
Al

Fiesta ST-3
This is a very difficult one. I think for myself if the price was right I would use it for checking the underside of my car, removing the bumper or any job I find difficult without a ramp.

Personally I think you would get more demand from a full time mechanic renting the property for his business.

R

robclio182

I would consider using it yes , a lot of jobs are hard to do without ramps

Clio 172
Its main purpose is to offer a place for Mechanics who want to have a go at going alone who've already built up a small customer base, however don't have enough income to rent a workshop by themselves. We were thinking of offering a space with a ramp, and the facilities in the workshop such as compressors, tyre machine, MOT station etc for a fixed fee which would include your overheads and rent.

That would mean that the lad would know how much money he'd have to earn the following week just to stay open - we were thinking something in region of £150 per week all in.

This additional service of offering use of a Ramp etc for weekend work was dreamt up as an idea to earn additional income to pay for building overheads etc.

I just thought I'd do some market research to see if anyone would be interested in it - its not going to be solely our income.

Lionel Richie
you'll need mega money to set that up fella, dragon den style here, will take a long time to earn any money (years)

Clio 172
We've already got 5 ramps, compressor - everything really, just not a MOT station

My step dad is a self employed mechanic and has been for years, we've just bought a building to start this whole operation and got 4 people involved to do the renting.

I was just wondering if the option to rent a ramp for a period of time would appeal to people - if not its not going to be, we won't bother.

Clio 182ff
I'm interested in this, as I often do the short trip to Cardiff to see the missus. I would pay up to £40-50 for a weekend day etc - depends on what tools I could use like, however just having the use air guns is a super luxury tbh.

Clio182, 88'Scirocco
This sounds a decent idea and I'd be intrested. However, I'm not the person who would use it on a regular basis, say once every 2-3months.

Clio 172
lol.

Its not the main reason for the venture to offer it to people to rent space of a ramp. The main purpose of the idea is to offer it to mechanics who want to go at it alone who already have a small customer base, but can't earn enough to rent a whole workshop on their own. This idea will give them a ramp, compressor and other facilties to start building their customer base which they can then move on to do bigger things.

The idea of offering it out to enthusiasts was to generate income on weekends etc.

We are also contacting big names such as Bosch etc to find out if they would come and do demo nights where they demo their new piece of kit in a classroom and also then do a demo in the workshop.

We're also considering a apprenticship scheme with local firms who provide access to industries for lads coming out of school who want to learn a trade - probably get funding from the Welsh Assembly Government on that one.

Focus RS + S3
sounds like a good idea for me, your latest post clarified it a bit more, like you said, mechanics who want to 'moonlight' it would be ideal for.

id be up for renting some time with a ramp for sure - would love to give the underside of the car a good clean - exhaust etc