ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spaced Out ~ School Boy Error When Fitting New Rear Discs 182

No biggy but this might save someone dropping the same bollock I did when fitting a pair of new rear brake discs.

Removed the old discs, gave the area a good clean and put the new discs on (with bearings already fitted), torqued up the stub axle nuts and off I went.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the end of it. Noise coming from the rear when cornering and play on both wheels. It occurred to me there were probably some kind of spacers still attached to the old discs but by this time I’d already disposed of them with the spacers most likely stuck on.

Kam Racing came to the recuse as they stock the spacers. This little balls up cost me 30 and a bit of extra work. Hope this thread prevents someone avoiding the bit of aggro I had when fitting new rear discs.

Cheers,

Craig

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1220.mov
    31 MB

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
No biggy but this one might save someone dropping the same bollock I did when fitting a pair of new rear brake discs.

Removed the old discs, gave the area a good clean and put the new discs on (with bearings already fitted), torqued up the stub axle nuts and off I went.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the end of it. Noise coming from the rear when cornering and play on both wheels. It occurred to me there were probably some kind of spacers still attached to the old discs but by this time I’d already disposed of them with the spacers most likely stuck on.

Kam Racing came to the recuse as they stock the spaces. This little balls up cost me 30 and a bit of extra work. Hope this thread prevents someone else the same aggro have.

Cheers,

Craig
Aye, it's an easy enough thing to overlook.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Renault Main dealer done it to my Mrs on a 1.6 16v MK2, destroyed the wheel bearing, wheel bolts and stub axle! They footed the bill after a bit of back and forward!!

Renault Main dealer done it to my Mrs on a 1.6 16v MK2, destroyed the wheel bearing, wheel bolts and stub axle! They footed the bill after a bit of back and forward!!
Ouch. You’d expect a main dealer not to mess it up; they must’ve changed tons of rear discs on an mk2 over the years. Maybe the mechanic had been on it the night before.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Will I be OK driving it to the MOT without one side having the spacer present? Will I take my abs/bearing out now??

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Will I be OK driving it to the MOT without one side having the spacer present? Will I take my abs/bearing out now??
Hard to say, my car went through 2 MOTs with missing spacers before I changed the discs and noticed. I do keep getting ABS warnings every now and again though, which may or may not be related. Probably best to just fit the spacers and save any potential hassle to be honest.

Leo182

ClioSport Club Member
  Blk/Gld 182 Cupped
Hard to say, my car went through 2 MOTs with missing spacers before I changed the discs and noticed. I do keep getting ABS warnings every now and again though, which may or may not be related. Probably best to just fit the spacers and save any potential hassle to be honest.
Ive cancelled the Mot now until I've fitted it, no point in chancing it.