ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spark plug Helicoil/Time sert

Skoda Fabia VRS
Right, after yesterdays mishap with a random misfire and Clio based suicide, I've diagnosed the problem. The spark plug in cylinder 2 has popped out of the head, I just barely pulled and it came right out. The plug itself is fine, as is the thread (along with the other 3, all lovely) but when trying to re screw it back in, it feels as though it's jumping a few threads, and then biting near the bottom if that's understandable. Tried swapping plugs with each other, same result. So I'm guessing this has torn the thread, and I'll need Helicoiling/Time serting? Obviously I won't be doing this, as it's a head off job if I'm correct. What sort of costs is this probably going to set me back? I appreciate every garage is different etc, but generally going on an hourly rate, how much work would be needed?
Cheers.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You don't need to remove the head to do that repair work mate! That can be done in situ. Labour wise no more than 2hrs + parts cost for the helicoil or timesert. Timesert is the better of the 2, but also costs more.

Any garage or engineering shop should be able to do that. You need an airline blower to get rid of the swarf out the cylinder afterwards.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yep you can do it in-situ, make sure the garage know what they're doing first tho and aren't just 'having a try'

Skoda Fabia VRS
Lovely, cheers lads nice to have a bit of good news! The coilpack leads are possibly faulty as well, so another thing to check. First priority is getting the car up my drive, not just parked on the road down my hill, I'll be rescued by a tractor later! :p

Megane 225 f1
I have had this done on a megane aswell. No problems at all, i used an engine rebuild place as i didnt fancy tackling it myself!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
@NorthloopCup I know that timeserts are better as you state above but given the other issues my flamers engine has I'm happy to gamble on a helicoil kit, do you know what size I should be getting? Cheers