ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SPAX Krypton RSX threaded insert

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Bought a set of Spax RSX Krypton's that are in need of new inserts and the old ones being drilled out/extracted

Spax want £150+VAT per side plus postage both ways to remove and put new inserts in

The damage

received_1114426259816231.jpeg
received_376520564845603.jpeg

What an unbroken one looks like

received_3533165460346071.jpeg

The question is, does anyone know of any stock of these on the shelf or know anyone that has made some? I don't mind paying to have them fixed, I'm not a c**t but at near on £400 I expect more than just lobbing in a pair of inserts

From looking at alternative brands like Gaz it looks like they have pretty identical inserts

Gaz Gold coilover

Screenshot_20240108_201607_eBay.jpg

406 V6, Race Buggy
The insert is the main part of the damper, of course that's gonna be the most expensive bit, the shaft is damaged and the rebound adjuster is toast and even a rebuild is gonna be a shaft and a complete strip and reassembly. Shafts are £50-70 alone.
Those Gaz's are shot with that plating damage too.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
The insert is the main part of the damper, of course that's gonna be the most expensive bit, the shaft is damaged and the rebound adjuster is toast and even a rebuild is gonna be a shaft and a complete strip and reassembly. Shafts are £50-70 alone.
Those Gaz's are shot with that plating damage too.
The rebound adjuster is at the bottom of the shock mate

The insert is purely to attach it to the car

The Gaz's aren't mine, it's just a picture to show the threaded insert is similar

406 V6, Race Buggy
Ah okay they're just a generic threaded rod with an adaptor in there. Yea, Spax and co will still just swap the entire shaft out, they won't drill and swap the fittings, it's not worth their time when there's shafts on the shelf, plus the risk of marring the plating.
I've an old Gaz guy around the corner that makes his own shocks now, I'll ask and see if he's got any floating around.