ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spray-on contaminant removal?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Prior to claying after washing the car - are there any products that you recommend to remove the bulk of tar spots and other contaminants, that could literally be rinsed off after a few minutes?

Is the straight-forward AG Intensive Tar Remover up to the task? Or are there better ones out there to recommend? Ideally, I'd skip the claying action completely to minimise contact with the paintwork - though I accept that at times its a necessary evil!

Cheers,
D.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
The AG will probably be fine but another popular product is Tardis. Needs to be used before claying.

I've always sprayed the tardis on, let it sit for a while then wipe off with a clean microfibre. Just make sure you rinse it off fully before moving onto claying or else it'll bugger the clay up.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Autosmart tardis or carpro tar X
Followed by iron X

Always before claying.

You may need to agitate the stubborn tar spots and give another application before re jet washing.

And in between tar remover and clay, wash the car again so the clay doesn't get dissolved by left over tar remover.

Autoglym tar remover is s**t ime. I wouldn't bother with it

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If it makes any difference AG tar remover is useless. It's like water.
To order from CarPro with CS discounbt I would go with Tar X and Iron X.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I've never found tardis to be that good. Always required a clean off with a microfibre.

Are there any actual products that can be touch less when it cones to tar?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Can't really be touchless as the tar is stuck on. Same reason you have to clay fallout like sap etc off the car, it's structured to the car at that point. Iron disolves tar doesn't in the same way.

BG 182 FF
Ive found if you buy from the Autoglym Van man and get the Tar and Glue in a 5l can its double strength compared to the watered down stuff you buy as a consumer.
If you smell it as well you can certainly tell its stronger, same with the glass cleaner - also Rapid detailer, they do it as a renamed spray wax or final finish in 5l for £20 off my chap, better than shelling out £8.95 for 500ml exactly the same product just smells stronger and isn't as diluted.

Another recommendation is Autobrite Tar and Glue remover. thats bloody impressive stuff. sprayed it on the boot of my old golf and it loosened the badge stickers to the point they slid down the boot when it came to rinsing.