ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Staggered tyre sizes front to rear?

Looking at 205/50/15 front and 195/50/15 rear fitted to OZ F1's 7J. Only cause I already have 2 x 195s and can get hold of 2 x 205s cheap, any issues with this set-up?

Well I've just bought a pair of Kumho Ecsta V700 V70A 205/50/15 to couple with my 195/50/15 R888's, no idea what the Kumho's are like on a 1*2 but at the price I paid would easily get my money back if not very good. Just need some tyre softener now to bring them back to life for next year, saying that 1 is new the other 4mm...

Listerine & Poledo
10mm difference wouldn't be the end of days.
As mentioned, ricers often run bigger fronts.....to help manage all their torque steer??? (rofl)

Personally I run larger rear profiles, by 10mm as it happens.

10mm difference wouldn't be the end of days.
As mentioned, ricers often run bigger fronts.....to help manage all their torque steer??? (rofl)

Personally I run larger rear profiles, by 10mm as it happens.
I'll have a play about with them switching front to rear, the Kumho's have a tread wear of 50 compared to 100 on the r888s so it might be best sticking them on the rear first.

Listerine & Poledo
I'll have a play about with them switching front to rear, the Kumho's have a tread wear of 50 compared to 100 on the r888s so it might be best sticking them on the rear first.
Keep the wider tyres on the front.
For what little difference it'll make, you may as well give the extra traction to your driven wheels.

Keep the wider tyres on the front.
For what little difference it'll make, you may as well give the extra traction to your driven wheels.
That was my original plan but with the tread wear difference the rears would surly give way before the fronts if using the wider 50 tread wear Kumhos on the front?

Listerine & Poledo
That was my original plan but with the tread wear difference the rears would surly give way before the fronts if using the wider 50 tread wear Kumhos on the front?
Consumable items wear out.

But I must have had the same set of Contisports on my 172 for about 3 years, remember all the're doing is keeping the boot from dragging on the floor.

Consumable items wear out.

But I must have had the same set of Contisports on my 172 for about 3 years, remember all the're doing is keeping the boot from dragging on the floor.
Lol, I mean 'give way' as in over-steer me off the track into the Armco 🙈

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't @Ph1 Tom run this. I may be way off mind.
No but I might do for racing. The reason being is if you want to run different compounds you may be restricted to tyre sizes.

So DZ03G for example are only available in H1 hard compound in 205/50/15 and R1 medium in 195/50/15. Ideally on a FWD car you want the H1 on the front as you can get heat into them better and they won't go off as fast. Then R1 on the rear so the back end isn't all over the place until you get heat into them.

No but I might do for racing. The reason being is if you want to run different compounds you may be restricted to tyre sizes.

So DZ03G for example are only available in H1 hard compound in 205/50/15 and R1 medium in 195/50/15. Ideally on a FWD car you want the H1 on the front as you can get heat into them better and they won't go off as fast. Then R1 on the rear so the back end isn't all over the place until you get heat into them.
That's how I figured it as my V70A's are a hard (K91) compound versus the medium (GG) compound of the R888's, All 4 are stone compound at the minute and are in desperate need of some tyre softener to bring them back to life.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's how I figured it as my V70A's are a hard (K91) compound versus the medium (GG) compound of the R888's, All 4 are stone compound at the minute and are in desperate need of some tyre softener to bring them back to life.
lol! Extra loud tread blocks