ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting problems clio 172

Clio 200 CUP
Evening all I've picked up a problem on the 172 Cup I parked it up on the drive a week ago no issues but now she won't start turn the key and you can here the pump prime but then when you turn the key nothing it doesn't even tick over just nothing but if you have the ignition on it will bump start and drive fine swapped the two batteries round on the clips and the other battery fires the other girl up just fine any ideas ?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Tried two known good batteries but no change
Hmmm. Are the batterys the correct crank amps etc etc, as had trouble with mine starting, stuck a slightly bigger than required battery on and tickety boo ever since. Heart of a good engine is a good battery and all that

How about RAC ? or equivalent, as they came out to me and put a whizz bang machine on the battery and even gave me the print out. Then tried to charge me about £100 for supply and fit, and I went got my own. bit of hassle with the low bolt fixer but a long wratchet stem sorted that

They give you a print out so they don't answer any more starting problem calls for help, until you say you have put in a new battery

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ai sounds like starter fault, either the solenoid connection spade dropped off or the starter itself shagged. or perhaps earth issue

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Yep as Bloke says, sounds like the exiter wire on the starter. Had murder with mine before I changed my starter motor to a Bosch one where the design of the spade connector means the connector can't move under vibration.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
sounds like the spade connector has come off the starter or the starter is knackered. if you have skinny wrist you should be able to have a feel by getting your hand between the exhaust manifold

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like the spade connector has come off the starter or the starter is knackered. if you have skinny wrist you should be able to have a feel by getting your hand between the exhaust manifold
That could be tricky if the heat shield is on. If the heat shield is on, he'll need to get the O/S front wheel off and look through there.

Clio 182
Are you able to shock the starter motor with a tap of a hammer or a long chisel and hammer? Might be sticking

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk