ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steam - including latest offers

Ibiza SC
Does anyone actively use Steam?
I've never fully used it, I bought a couple of games off it a few months ago but that was only because I was ill for a week and was extremely bored.

However, I've come to use it again this week as I've been getting bored at night after work and started browsing the store to see what was going on. I've only ever played 3 games over the last couple years, all of which I've purchased at an actual store, those are Company of Heroes (which won't work anymore due to losing my serial key), Dawn of War II (which won't work because when I enter the serial key it says it's been activated already on an existing Steam account), and Trackmania (which I've been playing pro at for 4-5 years now and I really cba anymore).

I've never owned a PS3 or an Xbox, and never been into any other games other than Strategy and Racing. But I've decided I want to explore so decided to buy Half Life Source. £5.99, no problems, with that. I go to pay for it and enter my CC details and it says car declined. Weird, check balance and PLENTY of money there. So then I try Paypal, and halfway through sorting my paypal account for it my window closes.

Now I have a transaction in Steam for Half Life Source which is 'pending', and no matter what I try to buy, whatever method, it says 'There has been an internal error with your transaction, please wait a minute and try again or contact Steam Support'. I've raised a support ticket, but jesus christ do I really have to go through so much trouble for a £6 game?? Click - Buy - Download - Play. Thats all I want to do! I don't know what the response time is like for Support, but I imagine there's millions of people using Steam daily and I bet they're pretty busy.

I'm guessing HL:Source is Steam only, as I can't find a version that you can buy in store apart from the original.

Any ideas gents?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Steam

Never had any problems with Steam like that before, and I have been using it for years and years!
Circa 90 odd games IIRC and never had a problem when they were taking my money :p

HL: S seems to only be Steam only, but that makes sense as its a Valve game, and Valve own Steam.

Try Paypal again and see if the window closes?

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth

Not bought many on there myself but never had problems like that.

Get it sorted though cos Half Life is worth it!

Ibiza SC

Well I've just checked it again this morning an the transaction that showed as 'pending' now showed as 'failed'. So I've checked my balance and no money has gone, so I've tried again. Same error again. Checked my transactions and there is now a 3rd transaction 'pending', even though the item still shows as being in my cart. I've tried to add some money to my Steam wallet and even that brought the same error, I've also tried using a friends card too and same error with his card.

I'll wait for the pending transaction to fail again and try again, so frustrating!

Attachments

• hls.PNG
    hls.PNG
    12.7 KB · Views: 423
  Ibiza SC

I did last night, so I'm waiting for that! I logged a support ticket with THQ for CoH & DoW2 almost a week ago and still havn't had a reply, so I'm always a bit skeptical when contacting support.

Evo 5 RS

Just open a ticket, they're pretty quick with responding. Steam used to be terrible a few years ago, but I don't really have a problem with it now. Certainly not with payment.. just serial keys been sent through wrong etc.

Makes life a lot easier but also makes it a bit too easy to spend money which isn't always a good thing

Ibiza SC

It's not a new account, I've purchased two games before, last year in fact. I've sorted it partly anyway, my friend just bought the game as a gift for me, but paid with my card. But obviously for the future I want this sorted, so I'll just wait for a ticket response.

Yeh I've seen the sales and discounts on games, very tempting. The two games that I bought were Blur & SimCity 4 Deluxe, which both lasted me about a week, I don't think Blur lasted me more than a couple of hours. Guess I get bored quickly!

F82 M4

Steam support are pretty good to be honest mate, I had a bit of a ball ache with them over a hacked account but it got sorted in the end. It's like your account is locked but it's not. Bit wierd if you ask me. Anyway, once sorted get the following - Orange Box (Half Life 2, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Half Life 2: Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress)Portal 2Counter Strike 1.6 & SourceYour boredom will be cured.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Steam is/are superb. I even fecked up and bought a DLC for a non-Steam game (accidently I hasten to add!) - and they refunded my account. Despite the fact that they repeatedly say that no refunds pretty much ever. Maybe having 110+ games registered with them will have helped. ;)

I'd actually point the finger of suspicion more at your PC than any transactional issue. It sounds like your order process is only getting so far then being blocked? Steam isn't 100% perfect, but it is very rare that it goes ga-ga like you describe.

As for the Company of Heroes serial key, click once on the game and across to the right-hand side does is say 'Serial Key'? There's another way of retrieving your key from the menus at the top, but without it being on the screen in front of me, I can't recall how.

D.

F82 M4

I'm sure if you right click on the game and select properties, there's a tab saying "Show me my CD key".

Ibiza SC

As for the Company of Heroes serial key, click once on the game and across to the right-hand side does is say 'Serial Key'? There's another way of retrieving your key from the menus at the top, but without it being on the screen in front of me, I can't recall how.

My Company of Heroes is actually nothing to do with Steam, as I bought the Anthology from Play.com a couple years back before I even installed Steam. I remember there being a slip of paper in the box with a serial key on, which I obviously used to activate the game. Since then, the slip is lost, and on the back of the manual there is a serial key box which is blank.
I don't have my serial key simply put, so I think they only way I can play the game is just to rebuy it.

Clio 1.2 - 41k miles

Never had any problems with Steam like that before, and I have been using it for years and years!
Circa 90 odd games IIRC and never had a problem when they were taking my money :p

HL: S seems to only be Steam only, but that makes sense as its a Valve game, and Valve own Steam.

Try Paypal again and see if the window closes?

Same here.. I buy games all the time and have never had any issues.. Even with really slow internet - I mean almost unusable..

Steam's been great for me I used to Pay via PayPal but decided to use my card because It was quicker to leave my account meaning I didn't spend money I thought I had. But yeah I have been using it happily for 3-4 years now.. I'm a big gamer so I have about 50 something games :eek:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

My Company of Heroes is actually nothing to do with Steam, as I bought the Anthology from Play.com a couple years back before I even installed Steam. I remember there being a slip of paper in the box with a serial key on, which I obviously used to activate the game. Since then, the slip is lost, and on the back of the manual there is a serial key box which is blank.
I don't have my serial key simply put, so I think they only way I can play the game is just to rebuy it.

Still less than a tenner now. Looks like an easy decision to me. :)

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/935...earchstring=company+of+heroes&urlrefer=search

Currently replaying it again (for the third time) on the campaign mode. Imo, it's still the best RTS released on the PC platform. Tough to get into at first, but massively rewarding as you progress.

D.

F82 M4

Still less than a tenner now. Looks like an easy decision to me. :)http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/935...earchstring=company+of+heroes&urlrefer=searchCurrently replaying it again (for the third time) on the campaign mode. Imo, it's still the best RTS released on the PC platform. Tough to get into at first, but massively rewarding as you progress.D.
D, bit of a conincidence this. Last night I was playing CS with a few of the lads, after 3-4 games they all said, fancy a bash on Company of Heros? I was like, what's that? I've never heard of it. They were all gobsmacked and told me to get it straight away. Low and behold the next day you guys are talking about it on here. Worth a purchase then? I'm a massive C&C fan...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

D, bit of a conincidence this. Last night I was playing CS with a few of the lads, after 3-4 games they all said, fancy a bash on Company of Heros? I was like, what's that? I've never heard of it. They were all gobsmacked and told me to get it straight away. Low and behold the next day you guys are talking about it on here. Worth a purchase then? I'm a massive C&C fan...

Seriously m8 - if you get this and get 'into' it - it's simply brilliant. My favourite game mode at the minute is teaming up with a m8 online in co-op to go against a few AI bots. Even on Normal difficulty, the AI can be a right fecker at times!

I would strongly advise playing through the single player campaigns too - don't just jump straight into online modes or you'll probably end up frustrated with it and left wondering what the hell is going on. It's worth it too - some of those map designers at Relic are geniuses in my mind.

C&C Generals was my RTS benchmark for a long time. I did like C&C3 too, but CoH took it's crown and still does to this day. For less than a tenner, it is a superb bargain. :)

D.

Evo 5 RS

Best to buy CoH on Steam. Just so you can make sure you're running the right version... (Probably on 8.0990410 by now). It's a quality game, but my god it was buggy!

The A.Is difficult on normal???

Tank traps. Lots and lots of tank traps. DONE

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Best to buy CoH on Steam. Just so you can make sure you're running the right version... (Probably on 8.0990410 by now). It's a quality game, but my god it was buggy!

The A.Is difficult on normal???

Tank traps. Lots and lots of tank traps. DONE

Yes.

Select British side in a skirmish. Select 1x Normal Wehrmacht opposition and 1x Normal Panzer Elite. Collect hero status when you've defeated them. ;)

I agree on the Steam version too. But to be fair, the Relic Downloader in the background is a very good auto-patcher.

D.

Evo 5 RS

Yes.

Select British side in a skirmish. Select 1x Normal Wehrmacht opposition and 1x Normal Panzer Elite. Collect hero status when you've defeated them. ;)

I agree on the Steam version too. But to be fair, the Relic Downloader in the background is a very good auto-patcher.

D.

tank traps. That's all I'm gonna say. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

tank traps. That's all I'm gonna say. ;)

Got to admit - they are pretty impressive! One of those things that's often under-used - even by myself. They offer great cover (slightly weird) for your snipers too.

Have you been using the 3-man sniper tactic yet? A disproportionately high cost vs manpower - but they are the scourge of any weapons' team. Spot them and bam-bam-bam - all three are dead. ;)

My m8 when we played co-op the other day kind of had a Walking Stuka thing going on - lol....

RelicCOH2011-08-0614-52-37-75.jpg

D.

Giulietta 940

I have CoH, but I've been playing C&C:RA3 for the past two weeks, its amazing.

Considering how many of us that have and use Steam, why don't we all play together? I think I've only played with Darren once, on L4D2.

Evo 8 MR

Steam is a great application tbh. I've not been able to use it for over a month now though. Waiting on a replacement board which I RMA'd.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

I have CoH, but I've been playing C&C:RA3 for the past two weeks, its amazing.

Considering how many of us that have and use Steam, why don't we all play together? I think I've only played with Darren once, on L4D2.

I never, ever got into that. I had such high hopes for it too having played RA2 to death. WTF EA has done to the C&C franchise over the years is beyond belief. I also made the mistake (severe mistake) of buying C&C4 in the Steam Sale. Utter tripe. I had to laugh when on C&C4 I quit to the game lobby and player after player was slagging off what EA had done to their beloved series?

C&C RA2 and C&C Generals were the last two stokes of genius in the series imo. Though C&C Tiberium Wars was pretty good, I have to say.

D.

Evo 5 RS

CoH is (IMO) an RTS which you'll get on with especially if you're not normally a fan of them in the first place (as I'm not normally)

And I'm going to keep typing with italics because this crappy new forum won't let me turn it off :)

Giulietta 940

^Have you added yourself to the cliosport steam group?

Yeah been in it for a while. Talk to Darren now and again, and I've spoken to Wilky.

No one plays anything decent anyway... :p

What MP games do we all have in common?

I have the usual FPSs... CSS/TF2/COD/BFBC2, as well as RA3, CoH and some racing games.

I haven't played a game since about March :S PC is sometimes online though. Hoping to get back into it in the next month or two.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

I downloaded the CoH's demo last night as I've never played it before, didn't play it much but it seems good so far.

F82 M4

Yeah been in it for a while. Talk to Darren now and again, and I've spoken to Wilky.No one plays anything decent anyway... :pWhat MP games do we all have in common?I have the usual FPSs... CSS/TF2/COD/BFBC2, as well as RA3, CoH and some racing games.
99% of my Steam gaming time is on CS 1.6 :cool: I've got RA3 mate if you're up for bashing out some co-op or something?