ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Fatty's KTEC alternative induction setup that works just as well!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
A few people are asking about the parts required for my induction setup, so though I would make a tread for reference.

First of all, it looks like this:
2.jpg

It compromises of a RAMAIR foam filter and an alloy 90 elbow pipe. At time of writing you can get both from ebay:

ASH 90 70mm Elbow pipe (currently £12.95): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45-90-De...ir-Water-Boost-Intercooler-Pipes/401823561758
RAMAIR 70mm offset filter (currently £24): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-IN...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5af34e6c91

RAMAIR doesn't seem to sell the exact filter I have in the pic above on its own anymore; the new ones are a bit smaller than mine - they are 2.5cm smaller at the wide end (but the same at the bottom end), and 5.5cm shorter in length. Mine has actually got damaged over a year from rubbing on the headlight and connection box quite badly, so this new size is more ideal, provided it doesn't loose any of the advantages. You can get the same size filter as the one in the picture above WITHOUT and offset, but the offset filter makes it easier to fit next to the battery and imo a non-offset filter of that size would not fit with this pipework at all. Interestingly, RAMAIR do sell the exact filter above in an 'induction kit' for the 182, but its double the price (and i'm not sure it will give double the performance, if any extra at all). If you are interested, it is available here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-S...499691?hash=item1f117ea92b:g:wSAAAOSw9~Ne5MVY

Also keep in mind that you dont have to use a RAMAIR filter at all, any 70mm rubber neck filter will work, provided it is an offset one if the inlet side base is any bigger than 14cm.

My car saw gains of 10hp with this setup over standard (will post the graphs in a bit), so well worth the money!

Provided you line everything up correctly, it should fit nicely. And this new smaller filter should stop any contact between the light unit etc. I have cable tied the neck of the filter to the car to stop it moving around (I used white cable ties as thats what I had, but black would look better).

fitting instructions:
(1) put filter in position behind headlight (and under the negative battery lead)
(2) connect alloy pipe to rubber elbow on engine side - don't tighten
(3) fit alloy pipe into filter, making sure you have the jubilee clip in place already
(4) line everything up then tighten jubilee clips
(5) secure filter around the jubilee clip area to car body with a cable tie

Alignment should look like this once all put together (keep in mind your filter will be smaller so wont be against the headlight):
ik2.jpg

Rolling Road Graphs (With no other mods in between)
Pre IK:
PreIK.jpg

Post IK:
PostIK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Sweet. So the exsisting pipe off the throttle body will marry up to the pipe work?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Nice one, made my day. if you were closer i'd buy you a pint. Will post my findings next week

Thanks mate, ordered as well. Will post results of 421s + this IK in the next few weeks. Is eBay best place to pick up a few jubilees as well?

koksracing

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Looks great mate and cheap as well. Just bought an rs192 so matched up with this induction kit this should be great. Thanks

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Can I move this to the guides section Fatty?
No need to get personal:tongueout:

Brilliant work with this mate, really very nice.

Can it be done with a silicone elbow as opposed to the Renault one? Might look nicer and improve flow a little more, plus unnamed silicone elbows are pretty damn cheap.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
No need to get personal:tongueout:

Brilliant work with this mate, really very nice.

Can it be done with a silicone elbow as opposed to the Renault one? Might look nicer and improve flow a little more, plus unnamed silicone elbows are pretty damn cheap.

Tbh if he's gained the above, it works pretty darn well :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yes it can, but you will have to sort out a breather pipe / find one with a breather that fits. Also you will not have the 'suspension' section that the oe bend provides to help stop the filter moving, not sure how that would be a problem should the filter rub. Mine rubs against the batter and connection box, but the filter I posted above is actually a bit smaller than mine (they don't do my exact one anymore so I have also ordered one of the above to replace mine), so it should fit a lot better / easier and not have this problem.

Also just to add to this, with the original bend, you can use a clip like this to secure the filter to the ecu bracket instead of using cable ties :)

jclip1.jpg

Last edited:
  2003 Clio 172
Fantastic!
Just bought the parts in the OP. Definitely beats paying >£100 for the KTEC IK.

Thank you Fatty.

I've had this exact bend & filter for over a year now. Lots of good points as above.

Something that hasn't been mentioned... at the time of purchase these filters did not come oiled yet RAMAIR website says they require it.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes. Don't expect turbo gains etc but the noise (if similar to ktec) is worth the monies
Yeah I wouldn't be expecting more than a few hp, but it was more to make sure I wouldn't be losing any or making the power delivery uneven, like what's shown in that air filter test that's been documented on here somewhere. I do like a good induction noise though lol, so looks like i'll be ordering this

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I've seen that engine bay in person and yes, it's well 'andsome.

I would do this, but I've got a BMC CDA coming instead, and I don't care about the small difference in power that will result.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Just ordered this set up myself, thanks The Fatty.
4 of the elbows and 4 of the filters have sold in the last hour ! must all the from this thread.