ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Gaming Thread (General Gaming Jibba Jabba)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had experience with the VR options of late? There seems to be a lot of discussions between the 60fps and 90fps spec being worlds apart - though I don't know if this is just 'bigger is better' talk.

For gaming, I'm also a bit unsure to just how useful VR kit is? Elite Dangerous supports it, but you need a LOT of keyboard inputs - so surely that's a limitation in the involvement when you have a headset on? Project Cars uses it - and I bet setup with a with a wheel and pedals, it works brilliantly. Glancing across to the left or right when going into corners, etc. - would be epic.

Mito Sportiva 135
I've not tried myself but the general concensus seems to be some of them make you feel sick, some of the resolutions look awful, you feel a bit silly wearing it.
The Batman demo seems to be the only one getting any positive praise. I think it's going to be about as long lived as Kinect and 3D...

I'm guessing MS have held off officially announcing any partners in this space (e.g. Oculus) because they will wait and see what Sony do and how popular it is, as they probably don't want to invest in another failed technology.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I've not tried myself but the general concensus seems to be some of them make you feel sick, some of the resolutions look awful, you feel a bit silly wearing it.
The Batman demo seems to be the only one getting any positive praise. I think it's going to be about as long lived as Kinect and 3D...

I'm guessing MS have held off officially announcing any partners in this space (e.g. Oculus) because they will wait and see what Sony do and how popular it is, as they probably don't want to invest in another failed technology.
I think VR is here to stay, I think the possibilities for it are too good for it to just go away - I'm more interested in it's use outside of gaming; watching a football match where you can pick your seat in the crowd, watching a film like you're actually there etc.

I thought the Resident Evil 7 reviews were pretty good? The problem with the Batman game is it's far from a full game. Sony have actually pulled a bit of a sly one - people were put off by the lack of recognised AAA titles going to VR, so Sony have Resident Evil, Batman Arkham and Final Fantasy - but only Resi is a "full" game. The FF one looks awful.

The feeling sick thing is something I hope they can eliminate as we're able to keep pushing FPS etc.

Mito Sportiva 135
I don't think you can say something which is barely even commercially launched is 'here to stay'. RE7 was actually one of the worst previews of VR gaming I've read so far, I think most the bits I read said it looked like a PS2 game.
People didn't like using 3D because it felt like a gimmick and didn't like wearing glasses - which is a shame as I thought 3D gaming had some legs. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I can't see VR in it's current guise ever becoming more than a niche curiosity or gimmick.

Mito Sportiva 135
Haha...that could be a killer app. Although if it's like in real life, by the time I've turned on the console and put on my headset it will be all over! :)

banther

ClioSport Club Member
There are videos on YouTube of people's reaction (boys and girls) to VR p**n. It looks like the future tbh.

Soon we won't need women. Just a headset and a robot vagine 4000.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had experience with the VR options of late?
Well mate, I'm off to London in a couple of weeks as I've been invited to interview for a lead developer role on the Microsoft Hololens platform. I won't lie, I'm quite looking forward to seeing / hearing more about it. The thought of having to live / work in London Monday to Friday does NOT appeal to me but if the job and package is right then it may be a possibility. Hololens has been a bit quiet of late so it will be interesting to (hopefully) see how it's been evolving whilst the general public's attention has been focused on the likes of HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, etc.

Clio
Well mate, I'm off to London in a couple of weeks as I've been invited to interview for a lead developer role on the Microsoft Hololens platform. I won't lie, I'm quite looking forward to seeing / hearing more about it. The thought of having to live / work in London Monday to Friday does NOT appeal to me but if the job and package is right then it may be a possibility. Hololens has been a bit quiet of late so it will be interesting to (hopefully) see how it's been evolving whilst the general public's attention has been focused on the likes of HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, etc.
You might have the coolest job on CS (or at least the coolest sounding job).

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
You might have the coolest job on CS (or at least the coolest sounding job).
Believe me, sir, it's not always as glamorous or cool as it sounds! It's often mundane, repetitive and long hours. It's great being able to work with new technology and to work at something you genuinely enjoy though. That said, I'm still out of work and really struggling to get my new business venture off the ground! Despite many years of experience and a pretty decent skill set I'm struggling to find any decent work locally (hence the reason for looking further afield). Fingers crossed!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Believe me, sir, it's not always as glamorous or cool as it sounds! It's often mundane, repetitive and long hours. It's great being able to work with new technology and to work at something you genuinely enjoy though. That said, I'm still out of work and really struggling to get my new business venture off the ground! Despite many years of experience and a pretty decent skill set I'm struggling to find any decent work locally (hence the reason for looking further afield). Fingers crossed!
Take the job in Sweden.

Leap of faith.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Cooler than working with penguins?

Both metaphorically and literally.
I can't even begin to compete with that.

Take the job in Sweden.

Leap of faith.
It was tempting but I've already declined and that ship has now sailed. The package was not quite good enough and I would have had to sacrifice a few things too important to me to make it happen. It would have been a very different story if I were single and 10 years younger.

Clio
Cooler than working with penguins?

Both metaphorically and literally.

Penguins aren't a job, they are a lifestyle.

La la la la la la not listening. I think I'll just keep to my idea of sitting around playing games, making better games because you are bored of the games you are playing and then thinking up cool new things you can do just because you want to. Like you can just make a game with giant penguins with guns for wings and turbo feet. Just because you want to.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
La la la la la la not listening. I think I'll just keep to my idea of sitting around playing games, making better games because you are bored of the games you are playing and then thinking up cool new things you can do just because you want to. Like you can just make a game with giant penguins with guns for wings and turbo feet. Just because you want to.
With all due respect, I think you need to step away from Minecraft and consider a role in game design... I'd buy it.

Didn't realise you had a bunch of job offers Andy....
Glad you've got a strong job offer with Ms.
I know you've had a good share of bad times, hopefully this is start of the good times [emoji106] [emoji41]
Best of luck with the interview bud

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Didn't realise you had a bunch of job offers Andy....
Glad you've got a strong job offer with Ms.
I know you've had a good share of bad times, hopefully this is start of the good times [emoji106] [emoji41]
Best of luck with the interview bud
Cheers Dan :smile: Things still aren't great truth be told but hopefully something good will happen soon. I am now able to focus 100% on my new business and getting some contracts together (now my mother's health is on the up and she seems to have beaten cancer yet again!)

<shameless-plug>

I don't like doing this (and I hope it doesn't break any rules) but please feel free to pass on my details to any folks / businesses you might know who are looking for an experienced software developer. Not working for the last 5 months has battered my bank account so I really need to get some work rolling in! :grimacing:

http://andyeder.uk

</shameless-plug>

If you can design games in MS Paint then mace is already the most qualified game designer there is.
Hahaha, very true. I am a long-term admirer of his exceptional Paint-based portfolio. It takes a special kind of skill and a special kind of person :smile:

Anyways - I think I've derailed this thread for long enough already. The closed alpha screenshots and footage from the new (forthcoming) Battlefield game are looking rather good...

That's good news bud.
I hope things work out for you soon!

I feel your pain with the dreaded C. Mrs/we going through similar.... Her mother was diagnosed 2 years ago, within a week sacrificed her eye to remove tumour behind it. Was 2 years clear and it came back as secondary in her liver. After 2 major ops on her liver, we found out today the tumours on her liver have quadrupled in a few months time [emoji20] further surgery is now a no go.
Their going to try chemo to suppress, she's awaiting a consultation. Truly horrible, hope your mothers doing well.

Back on topic, the unreal clip you posted was proper nostalgia! And lol at the difference.
I remember unreal, well, being unreal when it came out! Was incredible!
You'd have more impressive graphics on a mobile phone now. [emoji23]

Unreal tournament, loved that game....

Clio
With all due respect, I think you need to step away from Minecraft and consider a role in game design... I'd buy it.
I'm done with minecraft, got all angry last night. I went exploring and got lost, couldn't find my house so I had the bright idea to turn it off and load up my save again, damn autosave had kicked in! I got angry at this point and turned it off vowing its a rubbish game anyway.

Any idea how to find my house again?

DCi
I'm done with minecraft, got all angry last night. I went exploring and got lost, couldn't find my house so I had the bright idea to turn it off and load up my save again, damn autosave had kicked in! I got angry at this point and turned it off vowing its a rubbish game anyway.

Any idea how to find my house again?
Once you find it craft a bed and sleep in it - you respawn at the bed then

Yaris Hybrid
If you press one of the F keys it pulls up a load of real time stats on the screen that shows your height and location in the form of some co-ordinates based on the original spawn point?

Although with talk of autosaves I guess we are talking about the console version?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Having purchased, played and thoroughly enjoyed Limbo I thought I'd take a punt and buy Playdead's newest title, Inside (I purchased it digitally via Steam for £14.99). It was the superb animation and stylised aesthetics that drew me in along with the simple game play controls; simply directional movement with a key/button for jump and a key/button for interaction.

Well... what can I say? It's only a short game and I completed it in 3 hours. But it was a fantastic 3 hours. So much so that I can't wait to go through and play it again. So simple, so elegant and nicely directed / paced. I can highly recommend it. I don't want to give anything away at all so I won't go into detail but, if you are contemplating buying it, please don't go searching for walkthroughs or spoilers until you've at least played it through once. It's quite a dark and unnerving story that doesn't really make sense; very much open to interpretation. Coupled with a beautifully balanced physics system it's quite the joy to play, especially certain areas of the game in which you take control of a vehicle. It's also quite an interesting... ending. It's hard to describe without ruining the experience! All I can say is that I wasn't expecting what happened to happen and controlling my avatar for that last section of the game was fun, impressive, disturbing - all in one!

If you've got 15 quid and fancy something a bit different then I would highly recommend it.

DCi
I need some ideas for lightweight-ish PC games as I've bought a surface pro.
FM seemed to run ok last night and I'm going to try Civ5 tonight (to see if I've got any chance of Civ6 running...) so fingers crossed on that one.
I have a lot of flying coming up so ideas welcome :D

Clio
There is a program on BBC4 at the moment called Time Commanders with Gregg Wallace that reenacts battles from the past.

What game engine does it use?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
So... went to use my ps4 for the first time in about 6months..
Comes up as mode not supported on the TV. Tried booting up in the safe mode and nothing..
Moved it to another tv and did boot up to start with in safe mode and now no longer comes up? Any ideas?

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
So... went to use my ps4 for the first time in about 6months..
Comes up as mode not supported on the TV. Tried booting up in the safe mode and nothing..
Moved it to another tv and did boot up to start with in safe mode and now no longer comes up? Any ideas?
It's broken

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Beta codes released for ghost recon wildlands today. Just waiikt for mine to download before I have an hour or so on it.

Hopefully it's going to be good.